I ordered a fender super champ x2 that should be coming in any day now. This is only my second amp and my first 2 channel amp. I see that there is an optional footswitch for it that allows you to switch from channel 1 to 2 and it also lets you toggle on/off effects(but not switch thru the effects). This sounds great to be able to leave channel 1 clean and have channel 2 with distortion or add different effect, but I'm wondering if this would be a waste of cash and do most people just buy after market pedals instead?

What are your opinions on buying the optional footswitch?
If you play live, get the footswitch. It allows you to play clean rhythm and switch to heavier OD tone for solos, and kick in rev/delay. Definitely worth $20 at Amazon.
The amp really has pretty useable dsp effects so... use em.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by bevans555
but I'm wondering if this would be a waste of cash and do most people just buy after market pedals instead?

Most people would do both. When you've got an amp with different clean and distorted channels, don't think of the distorted channel and a separate OD/dist pedal as a one-or-the-other kind of choice. Get the footswitch for the amp, and if you also have a distortion pedal, then you've got two options for different OD tones. Three options, if you also experiment with using the distortion/OD pedal WITH the amp's distorted channel. I use my Vox modeling amp, along with a small assortment of pedals, when I play with my cover band. My dist pedal is just a Boss DS-1. Nothing special, but it works. Between different settings on the DS-1, and different dirty amp models on the Vox, and combinations of the two, I have like 5 or 6 different distorted sounds that I'll use throughout a set, depending on the song.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
It would be just for practing at home. Sounds like I should get it. Thanks.
It doesn't matter if you are playing at home or live, you should get the switch. Why hinder your practicing by having to stop playing and clicking/flipping switches just to switch channels/effects (it's counterproductive). It's just silly to base your decision solely on if you play live or not.
A good delay pedal runs $150-$300 so nearly the cost of the whole amp. The OEM footswitch is $20. It's a no brainier.

Another thing that is fairly unique about this amp. The clean channel works well with OD pedals but the voice channel does not. It is not just more gain but actually voiced to simulate classic amps when driven. Select the voice you want for solos, dial in the gain, and use the footswitch to engage. An OD pedal on top of the voice channel defeats the purpose of that channel and just sounds nasty. It might even cause damage if driven too hard so just use the tool as designed. One of the great things about this amp is that you don't really need any pedals as most of the good stuff is already in there. When I gig with one I leave the pedal board home.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
A good delay pedal runs $150-$300 so nearly the cost of the whole amp. The OEM footswitch is $20. It's a no brainier.

Another thing that is fairly unique about this amp. The clean channel works well with OD pedals but the voice channel does not. It is not just more gain but actually voiced to simulate classic amps when driven. Select the voice you want for solos, dial in the gain, and use the footswitch to engage. An OD pedal on top of the voice channel defeats the purpose of that channel and just sounds nasty. It might even cause damage if driven too hard so just use the tool as designed. One of the great things about this amp is that you don't really need any pedals as most of the good stuff is already in there. When I gig with one I leave the pedal board home.

Thanks! Good to know, I'll order the switch today.