I was recently looking at a sample of bill nyes new book and it intrigued me to learn more about myself and some parts of the universe we are in. Was hoping some avid book readers could give me suggestions for books on topics in science, mental health, and physical health.. I'm open to books about world issues as well.

I realize I should spend a lot of time looking at the official book thread but meh
Quote by extrememetal94
I really hope I have a small penis.
Last edited by ehlert99 at Nov 25, 2015,
Lord of the Rings.
It's a documentary.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by ehlert99
I was recently looking at a sample of bill nyes new book
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Dreadnought
Despite the lame title and cover page, this is a great book:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Holes-Time-Warps-Commonwealth/dp/0393312763

The author is the physicist who did all the stuff (basically) for Interstellar

I might need to check this out, the guy wins bonus points for looking a little like Ben kingsly
Quote by extrememetal94
Rise and Fall of the Great Powers - Paul Kennedy - a study of geopolitics from 1500-2000. Really interesting stuff if you enjoy history.

When Pride Still Mattered - about Lombardi's coaching career. Tells some personal stuff, about his detachment from his family (football was the only thing that mattered to him).

The Last Lion- Churchill's life and career with particular emphasis on his post MP career. The first openly gay prime minister of UK.

Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot - Al Franken - exposed Limbaugh as the scumbag he was.

Zurich International Chess Tournament 1953 - David Bronstein (former World Champion)

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess - classic about a dystopian future

and many others.
Last edited by TobusRex at Nov 25, 2015,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Lord of the Rings.
It's a documentary.

The films were documentaries FILMED IN REAL TIME.
Wabi Sabi - Andrew Juniper (on aesthetics, beauty, nature + holism in Japan)
Twilight of the Idols - Nietzsche (overview of his philosophy. controversial but worth reading)
The Rebel - Camus (on freedom, rebellion + the absurd. beautifully written)
The Kon-Tiki Expedition - Thor Heyerdahl (a poorly-instigated but interesting raft journey)
The Road - Cormac McCarthy (a modern-day account of Northern England)
How The Other Half Lives - Jacob Riis (late 1800s text on living conditions in the US, architecture)

Hopefully some of these will interest you.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 25, 2015,
Brian Greene - The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
Quote by Banjocal at #33699171

The Road - Cormac McCarthy (a modern-day account of Northern England)

dickhead
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen (US history/the education system)
Empires of the Word by Nicholas Ostler (linguistics)
The Pencil by Henry Petroski (engineering/design/history)

Fiction:

My Uncle Napoleon by Iraj Pezeshkzad
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Desert by Jean-Marie G. Le Clezio
A Treatise on Shelling Beans by Wieslaw Mysliwski
cat
Quote by Trowzaa
dickhead
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Now this sounds cool.

It's great. It's not written in an overly academic style but even if you already know stuff about linguistics it won't be boring
cat
Never been a fan of non fiction, personally.
The only one i've read since high school is The Anxiety Disease by David V. Sheehan.
I thought it was good.
Black Like Me is probably the only non-fiction i've ever read.

wait, i did read John Lydon's autobiography thing.

wouldn't really recommend it, tho. the highlight of the book was his claim he supposedly cooked a piece of shit, made a sandwich, and Malcolm McClaren or some other dirtbag associated with them ate it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
The book attempts to explain why Eurasian civilizations (including North Africa) have survived and conquered others, while arguing against the idea that Eurasian hegemony is due to any form of Eurasian intellectual, moral, or inherent genetic superiority. Diamond argues that the gaps in power and technology between human societies originate in environmental differences, which are amplified by various positive feedback loops. When cultural or genetic differences have favored Eurasians (for example, written language or the development among Eurasians of resistance to endemic diseases), he asserts that these advantages occurred because of the influence of geography on societies and cultures (for example, by facilitating commerce and trade between different cultures) and were not inherent in the Eurasian genomes.

Shiiiit I'm getting this

y'all know some interesting shit. Without wishing to hijack the thread, does anybody else know anything along the lines of this and On Bullshit?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by institutions
Never been a fan of non fiction, personally.
The only one i've read since high school is The Anxiety Disease by David V. Sheehan.
I thought it was good.

I get a lot of my story type stimulation from other things in life so I like the idea of reading stuff I can actually use in real life or to just promote different thoughts in me about world issues.
Quote by extrememetal94
Quote by Banjocal
Shiiiit I'm getting this

y'all know some interesting shit. Without wishing to hijack the thread, does anybody else know anything along the lines of this and On Bullshit?

Other Harry Frankfurt books? On Truth (which is a follow-up to On Bullshit and takes and ethical standpoint) and On Inequality (which takes a pragmatic approach towards economic inequality ethics, i.e. poverty being more worrisome for the poor than a significant income gap).

Quote by guitarxo
It's great. It's not written in an overly academic style but even if you already know stuff about linguistics it won't be boring

Awesome, thanks again