Hey, guys. Been a while since I checked out the forum. This track is sort of an experiment I wrote several months ago that ended up liking a lot. The goal was to make a short sort of album opener track with themes based around misanthropy and the denunciation of superstition. To achieve this, I ended up blending elements of noise, jazz rock, crust punk, and grind while attempting to maintain a very dark, horror-like tone throughout. It's not particularly technical (excluding the drums), but I feel like its pretty creative. I've been getting into a lot of extreme, abrasive stuff in the past year and it'll probably be a pretty tangible influence in my writing for a slight majority of songs in the future.
Attachments:
We-Believe-In-All-The-Wrong-Things.gpx
We-Believe-In-All-The-Wrong-Things.gp5
I think the intro was too long. Once there started to be some semblance of a groove it was really cool. It's pretty fuckin' out there and I like that. But the intro tested my patience. Especially if you're going for a punk/grind sort of vibe, you don't want to fuck around with ambiance for too long.
I'm really glad you dug it for the most part and I appreciate the criticism! I definitely get where you're coming from as far as the intro's length, but didn't Prowler in the Yard start off with a minute or so of ambiance, too? I look at this song as more of a mood setter. I wasn't going for too specific a sound or genre when I wrote it. When I put it up here, I just tried to describe what I ended up with as best I could.
the intro sounds like strange avant-garde classical at some point, it's kinda cool.

the bit around 36 sounds dissonant as fuck but i guess that's what you're going for, it'd probably sound much better recorded

the drumwork is pretty sweet

riff at 46 is great, i like it a lot

aw man it's already over. i'd like to hear more stuff like this - the super harsh, brutal dissonance sprinkled with melodic stuff here and there.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Nov 28, 2015,
Quote by RedDeath9
the intro sounds like strange avant-garde classical at some point, it's kinda cool.

the bit around 36 sounds dissonant as fuck but i guess that's what you're going for, it'd probably sound much better recorded

the drumwork is pretty sweet

riff at 46 is great, i like it a lot

aw man it's already over. i'd like to hear more stuff like this - the super harsh, brutal dissonance sprinkled with melodic stuff here and there.

That's really cool coming from you, man. Glad you enjoyed parts of it. I'm a big fan of harsh dissonance in music balanced out with the occasional consonance. The riff at 46 was supposed to be the closest to catchy, so I'm glad it caught your attention. Happy that you found the drums noteworthy, too. Sorry that it's short. Better to leave them wanting more than to overstay your welcome. xD I have similarish stuff on the back burner, so stay tuned.
Last edited by Million Dead at Nov 29, 2015,
Quote by Million Dead
That's really cool coming from you, man. Glad you enjoyed parts of it. I'm a big fan of harsh dissonance in music balanced out with the occasional consonance. The riff at 46 was supposed to be the closest to catchy, so I'm glad it caught your attention. Happy that you found the drums noteworthy, too. Sorry that it's short. Better to leave them wanting more than to overstay your welcome. xD I have similarish stuff on the back burner, so stay tuned.

I feel like I'd write a lot more dissonant stuff if it actually sounded decent in guitar pro, but usually it's hard to convey with midi

c4c me or I'll destroy you