I'm in a stoner rock/blues duo and have always used guitars with hum buckers as they fill out and beef up the sound a lot... I play one guitar that has a hand made single coil in it which works really well next to the humbucker guitars somehow, it doesn't lose much volume or change the sound of my effects much.

I want to use my American Fender Strat more but the stock pickups are too weak and they sound thin and change the sounds of all of my effects like fuzz etc (probably due to the output level). Are there any good single coils out there I could chuck in my strat to keep that classic Stratocaster "plunky" sound but give it more balls and output so it'd sound good next to a Gibson?
I guess it really depends on heavy you want to go. From what you've said, I'd suggest trying the Lace Sensor rainbow pack. I have them in my MIJ strat, and they put out almost as much as my les pauls, but it still sounds like a strat. I play fairly heavy at times (mostly blues/rock/hardrock) and they're just fine from me. Thats playing next to a PRS CU24, and a LP with Alnico II's.

If they don't do it for you, maybe some Seymour Duncan Hot Rails??
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
I guess it really depends on heavy you want to go. From what you've said, I'd suggest trying the Lace Sensor rainbow pack. I have them in my MIJ strat, and they put out almost as much as my les pauls, but it still sounds like a strat. I play fairly heavy at times (mostly blues/rock/hardrock) and they're just fine from me. Thats playing next to a PRS CU24, and a LP with Alnico II's.

If they don't do it for you, maybe some Seymour Duncan Hot Rails??

Awesome, cheers! I'll check them out. I reckon one of my mates who's in a stoner doom band uses Lace hum buckers... sounds like what I'm after!
Lace is good. Also check out Rio Grande, Bareknuckle, and The Creamery.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'll just come out and state the obvious : turn up your amp slightly when you use your strat and save yourself the hassle. As long as your amp still has headroom left you should be fine.
Last edited by reverb66 at Nov 25, 2015,
Jus run an OCD pedal in front to shape and fatten up the tone. Stock PUs are fine.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If you want to keep them single coils, go with Quarter Pounders. Nice thick mids, with the power of a P90. If you want them hum-cancelling, you can go with Hot Rails, which are like hot humbuckers for a single coil guitar.
For truly unique, thick, classic doomy sounds, go with a Custom Shop single-coil size Invader. Your Strat will be the best sounding guitar you have.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I quite like SD Quarter Pounders, mainly because of their P90 vibe. However, I replaced one in one of my teles with one of these: http://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry
They are more P90'ish than a QP.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by loop-de-luke
I'm in a stoner rock/blues duo and have always used guitars with hum buckers as they fill out and beef up the sound a lot... I play one guitar that has a hand made single coil in it which works really well next to the humbucker guitars somehow, it doesn't lose much volume or change the sound of my effects much.

I want to use my American Fender Strat more but the stock pickups are too weak and they sound thin and change the sounds of all of my effects like fuzz etc (probably due to the output level). Are there any good single coils out there I could chuck in my strat to keep that classic Stratocaster "plunky" sound but give it more balls and output so it'd sound good next to a Gibson?

not much point in using a strat if you just want to make it sound like your Gibson. i'd start by learning what amp settings work and fx as well. you can get some cool sounds for what you do with a strat it just won't sound the same which i would think would be the point. you will most likely have to change your amp and fx settings at leat a little to get teh most out of it. i play strats and have humbucking guitars as well. usually have to change the amp settings a little (but not always). same with fx in some cases. strats will do a cool stoner sound if you put some effort into it and actually take the risk of not sounding like everyone else.

Lace Sensors would be a good choice as they come in models that have higher output, are fairly noiseless and still retain a decent amount of single coil positives.
Cheers dudes

Also for the record, I can't just turn up the amp or whatever... as I'm talking about using the Strat alongside my Gibsons etc, as in at the same gig. Plus I use three amps at the same time so would take me ten minutes to run around onstage getting the settings right. Even if I turn up the amps, all the effects respond differently to the Strat pickups (e.g. Fuzz isn't as hard sounding). I also don't want it to sound like my Gibson, I'm just talking about output and so I don't have to change volume settings on any effects etc.

Sounding like the Lace or Quarter Pounders might be the go... I did the whole P90 vibe thing for what I'm imagining. Will give it a go! Thanks everyone
Quote by reverb66
I'll just come out and state the obvious : turn up your amp slightly when you use your strat and save yourself the hassle. As long as your amp still has headroom left you should be fine.

if it were only that simple...

personally i would look for a P90. some are in SC housings if you don't want to get a new pickguard.

i would look into some P90's. everybody makes them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by JELIFISH19
Just get a clean boost

Yeah I tried that with a Seymour Duncan pickup booster but it still doesn't seem to have quite the right effect... I'll keep messing around with different things. Pickups are expensive haha