Hello guys, I'm confused about the NuBone nut
( What's Nubone? )

I've bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro that as a Nubone nut. It was equipment with a D'Addario strings set 10,13,17,26,36,46.
I was wonderinf if I can use different size or I'll wreck the nut.
The tring set I want to use is an ErnieBall 10,13,17,30,42,52

Thanks guys,
Dennis
Shouldn't be a problem. Aren't most of the nut problems from people going smaller, not larger, on size?

How are you liking that Custom Pro? A friend of mine got one last year and loves it. He complains that it goes out of tune too much, but he loves the way it handles/sounds.
In my opinion it seems that it has been designed for that size only.. I'm not sure a bigger string will pass inside.. And if it fits it will enlarge it, right?

In fact I was aspected a little more from this guitar, the sound is a bit confused, not defined. The volume pot has something strange (it looks like it's linear) nad mine goes out of tune as the one of your friend, expectialy the G string (they say that it never goes out of tune!)

Maybe it was not a big deal.. That is what happened when you buy online XD
You won't wreck the nut, but you may well need to enlarge the slots to accommodate the thicker strings. Otherwise you could get more tuning issues on the lower strings.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I've installed NuBones for people before. I had put on the DR DDT's for them (12-54) and hadn't had a problem. I don't think you'll have any issues.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
really depends upon how sloppy the original nut was cut in the first place. if it was cut loose they will likely fit. if not the strings will sit high. if the nut was cut too deep (usually the case with production guitars) the strings will pin.

put your strings on and try it. you could always buy an extra nut if you like, especially for an lp -they're "everywhere fine guitar products are sold"
Last edited by ad_works at Nov 25, 2015,
Quote by mastrolube
it looks like an irreversible operation.. right?

Well you can't put back material you've taken off but you can usually pretty comfortably switch back to lighter strings if you need to with the slightly-enlarged slots.

Don't do it if you don't need to, though. Put the strings on; see what happens.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I have never tried it myself, but I have read that super glue and powdered material - like the same material as the nut or similarly hard material - can be mixed and replace the material that was removed so it can be re-filed to another slot thickness and/or depth.

I would try it before removing the nut and making a new one.
Quote by Blademaster2
I have never tried it myself, but I have read that super glue and powdered material - like the same material as the nut or similarly hard material - can be mixed and replace the material that was removed so it can be re-filed to another slot thickness and/or depth.

I would try it before removing the nut and making a new one.

so much easier to just buy another nut for like, $6 ~ $20.

ex: https://www.allparts.com/les-paul-nuts

so many clever people do this one and it just comes out looking like bad dental work. it also tends to break down pretty quick. ca glue and "powder of something" isn't a load bearing material.
Last edited by ad_works at Nov 25, 2015,
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro 2015 model with the Nubone nutr and it stays in tune perfectly.

Do you have enough winds on your string posts and stretch your strings properly?

With regards to the nut slots you may need to slightly enlarge them, my strings seem pretty snug on the slots to be honest.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb