Hey dude's, Ive only been playing 7 strings for awhile now, (I sold all my 6's). Ive been wanting to get back into 6's so Its time for a new guitar and Im having trouble finding something for me. Budget is $1500, tremelo is prefered but not a deal breaker, Im okay with going used, Im in the st louis area. Im into everything from Dream Theater to Megadeth to Periphery, so versatility is key. Any suggestions would be great, Im open to mostly everything, Thanks.
Ibanez prestige.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jpnyc
Buy an SG. There's a lot of good in keeping things simple.

I don't think that an SG would do much for Dream Theater
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Ibanez prestige.

/thread
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'm using Line 6 Variax JTV-89F's.

Floyd Rose with Graphtech piezo saddles. These feed the Variax electronics, which model a wide range of other guitars, and which also allow you to select an extremely wide number of alternate tunings, all of which are available without changing string tension.

25.5" scale, 24-fret, 16" radius, jumbo frets, satin finish maple neck, fairly thick mahogany solid body. The magnetic pickups are high output, and if you have a Line 6 Pod Live or Rack version, you can actually use what amounts to an ethernet cable to power the guitar, send both mag pickup and Variax output to the Pod, and receive instructions (via user presets) on instant changes to modeling and alternate tunings.

Available in either Korean (around $1199) or USA (about three times that) versions. Korean versions (which are what I picked) are excellent, but available in just two body colors: black and "blood red." Some other colors available in the USA versions.
Check out Carvin- with your budget, you can get a nice semi-custom axe if you don't go overboard with the options.

They're also having a sale on what they have in stock. Here's a look at the solidbodies:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/group.php?cid=SB&dir=R&sort=price
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
Hey dude's, Ive only been playing 7 strings for awhile now, (I sold all my 6's). Ive been wanting to get back into 6's so Its time for a new guitar and Im having trouble finding something for me. Budget is $1500, tremelo is prefered but not a deal breaker, Im okay with going used, Im in the st louis area. Im into everything from Dream Theater to Megadeth to Periphery, so versatility is key. Any suggestions would be great, Im open to mostly everything, Thanks.

Honestly besides tuning changes there isn't a huge need for "versatility". Just get a guitar with great pickups for high gain music and a sweet 24 fret neck. Digging the Carvin Sugestion, but a good Ibanez Prestige will never do you wrong.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
If I were dealing with multiple tunings- ESPECIALLY with a tremolo- I'd opt to spend less on a single guitar and get two or more.

Buying new, you should still be able to get 2 pro-quality guitars for $1400-2000. Used, you might even be able to score 3 with that budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If I were dealing with multiple tunings- ESPECIALLY with a tremolo- I'd opt to spend less on a single guitar and get two or more.

Buying new, you should still be able to get 2 pro-quality guitars for $1400-2000. Used, you might even be able to score 3 with that budget.

Shit, I picked up FOUR ibanez prestiges for probably about $2150.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Might also go for pre-Prestige Ibanez RGs. The Japanese-made ones with proper trems (RG5xx and up I believe) are really cheap considering the quality. You could buy three and you'd still have enough money left over to get pups of your choice.

Maybe an odd-ball, but: Ibanez S-Classic line. All MIJ and mostly forgotten; the lower-end models are the same quality as any other MIJ Ibby, but waaaay cheap. I got my SC400 and SCR220 for 250€ each. Most models are fixed bridge, which imo is a benefit if you'll be changing tunings a lot.
Downsides: Medium frets instead of jumbos and 25" scale. I have mine set up for drop-C and it's fine though imo. Stock pups are useless, but that's Ibanez for you.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 25, 2015,
While faced with a similar dilemma, I picked a MM Steve Morse, which covered everything from country to death metal in versatility, it still plays great and is my main guitar. I've been toying with FR trems again, as I hate them for live work and refused to go on a gig with one for a very long time.

I don't like Ibanez pickups, but love their FR trems over the original FR due to the push down locking. Can't say I like Schecter much but they also have guitars that might work for you.

I'd suggest you look at these:

Ernie Ball Music Man Steve Morse Y2D FR, maybe even look at the Sterling models, I ended up getting one of their basses and it is very good.

Sterling JP100D (I'd check the Koa one)

Charvel San Dimas Style 1 HH (Great value, versatility)

Jackson Soloist Japan preferably, maybe one of these Jackson Chris Broderick Pro Series Soloist 6, Jackson Pro Soloist SL2 although they are Indonesian made and I prefer the older Japanese models

LTD M-1000

Vigier Excalibur might be worth a look although they're upwards of your budget,
Caparison Dellinger as well.

Godin Redline or Freeway FR are also an excellent shred instruments, made in Canada and can be found under $1000, which might be best bang for the buck.
Last edited by diabolical at Nov 25, 2015,
Buy the best PRS that you can afford.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ yep

but a PRS CE24 would fit and be under bu8dget most likely

Here is one for $1200
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/PRS/CE24-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-111176632.gc

2xxx and 3xxx series prestiges are on par (or better than) the PRS CE's. IMO. and you could EASILY find two really NICE prestiges for the price of a PRS.

they are quite different though so some of it comes down to personal taste. quality, fit and finish are identical between prestiges and PRS CE.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
2xxx and 3xxx series prestiges are on par (or better than) the PRS CE's. IMO. and you could EASILY find two really NICE prestiges for the price of a PRS.

they are quite different though so some of it comes down to personal taste. quality, fit and finish are identical between prestiges and PRS CE.

While I agree the Prestige are great guitars, PRS CE's are IMO better. I have never gotten along with Ibanez necks, ask my Ibanez JS1000 that hasn't left it's case in 5 years

I don't think I agree with the fit and finish being on par with PRS either

different strokes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 26, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
While I agree the Prestige are great guitars, PRS CE's are IMO better. I have never gotten along with Ibanez necks, ask my Ibanez JS1000 that hasn't left it's case in 5 years

I don't think I agree with the fit and finish being on par with PRS either

different strokes

most definitely different strokes.

i am kind of weird with necks though, i like my ibanez prestige necks, and i like my LP with the 50's neck, and the baseballbat of a neck my 52AVRI has. i like them all.

the fretwork is better on the prestiges than most of the CE's i have seen.

either way they are all gorgeous guitars, they are both great at what they do. but they are quite different in feel and necks, and the overall vibe.

they really aren't that comparable... lol.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
most definitely different strokes.

i am kind of weird with necks though, i like my ibanez prestige necks, and i like my LP with the 50's neck, and the baseballbat of a neck my 52AVRI has. i like them all.

the fretwork is better on the prestiges than most of the CE's i have seen.

either way they are all gorgeous guitars, they are both great at what they do. but they are quite different in feel and necks, and the overall vibe.

they really aren't that comparable... lol.

And I'm one of those guys who doesn't mind 50's Gibson necks or 50's Tele necks

but either would be a solid guitar line to look into
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you want to buy new $1,500 is getting you into the ESP E-II line (formerly called ESP and still made in Japan).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .