Metal really is into sub genre culture I feel... Metal, death metal, stoner metal, melodic metal... List never ends... You just stuck metal on the end and you've got a creditable music scene ...And much of the time there is little difference between them... Do you think we're being a bit Narcissistic to think our genres really are so unique they need a sub genre?

Edit- ok tell ya what... Just list some metal genre you've heard someone say they like ... Preferably one that hasn't been listed yet... Let's just see how many we can get
Originally posted by adVENTURA
if your in a punk band just do like Lars and Tim in rancid and scream like you got marbles in your mouth.

Check out my Music Here
Last edited by Dezerado at Nov 25, 2015,
how long have you been away
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
EDM Metal
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
let's be honest all a subgenre usually is, is two other umbrella genres mashed together, made distinct with location, politic, aesthetic or musical style

and normally that just means you get "delta blues" or "progressive hardcore" or whatever but sometimes bands like Unexpect or Kayo Dot or Naked City come along and generic one or two-word descriptors fail to sincerely describe how they sound

I mean you can call the above "grindcore" or "metal" but you can also call Iron Maiden that, and if you showed Unexpect or Naked City to your typical Iron Maiden fan they would probably call the police on you

it depends how deep into a genre you wanna go. if you can imagine two separate genres mushed together, chances are there is a band that goes by that label, and sounds just like what's in your head.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
ummmm... yes, the need for subgenres is real haha. That being said some do get a bit carried away with it, but if someone says they like metal, that is 20 different kinds of music in one word, so sometimes it is important to have sub catagories for the music types... say someone says they like Metallica, Megadeth and anthrax and needs more music to listen to... would you suggest System of a down or three days grace, no.. they like thrash so obvsly need more thrash, idk how much sense that will make to you guys but the point is a lot of metal is different and needs sub catagories as to avoid confusion if nothing else lol
I'm finally 18!!!
Baby metal lol... Wait three days grace is metal?
if your in a punk band just do like Lars and Tim in rancid and scream like you got marbles in your mouth.

Check out my Music Here
Same reason why Legally Blonde and Shaun of the Dead aren't just 'comedy films'.

I've often heard the term 'oriental metal' but that's a bit vague and in itself, too general because apparently all 4 of these bands are oriental metal but different things to each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5D0A-YHxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bds3FALcR7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyZp2ksMY_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heF_NPJbv8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyNTgDHFAGs
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
vintage UGcore
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Yea... Vintage... Actually had an older account but they remade the site and I lost it ... Some people kept theirs tho... Guess I screwed up somehow... I was an idiot high schooler lol

Check out my Music Here
yah really you can do just about anything with it and you get a new sub genre. i am curious why genres like pop and country are really just labeled that and nothing more. not acoustic pop or edm pop or bounce country or folk country. just pop and country. or at least it seems like that to me. of course there are sub genres but not as extensive as what metal has. i guess you could label ed sheeran as acoustic pop and katy perry as edm pop but really they are considered under the same genre and played on the same radio station. i guess maybe since metal is somewhat considered more underground and less universal maybe that means that there are a lot of "factions" i guess.

maybe it is because all metal players are all angry and don't want to be labeled as someone else's jive because they are angry.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 25, 2015,
What's funny is how many of these sub genres consist of more than one band.
How is it a genre if it's only one band????
Quote by EyeNon15
What's funny is how many of these sub genres consist of more than one band.
How is it a genre if it's only one band????
really i think it might also be a way of describing what you are about to listen to, not just a classified genre.

if a band is labeled metal broadly you know that there are heavy guitars involved, but not much else. so if you read something like melodic metal you know that there are heavy guitars but a lot of lighter riffs at play as well, chords often in a common scale, and there will probably be some squeaky vocals. progressive djent means there is a lot of 0's and a lot of uncommon chord patterns.
subgenres are just an amusing joke now, no one gets to fussy about them really. the whole jerking off over splitting things into increasing numbers of subgenres thing kinda died out as metal has waned a bit in popularity

for me people only seem to get fussy about subgenre when it comes to differences in the live shows etiquette, eg how they mosh or whether people crowd surf and how they stage dive or whether the crowd all bunches up and half cries at every single lyric. and that is more prevalent at hardcore shows than metal ones really.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I hate all the classifications myself. I like Metallica. I like System of a Down. I like Rage Against the Machine. I like Dream Theater. I like metal! In all of it's beautiful varieties and flavors. If someone does it well, I am listening.

The sub genre labels are for metal hipsters IMO. Let the flaming begin!

I do agree it helps if you are looking for specific music similar to band X.... however IMO that severely limits your musical growth. Branch out... explore!
hud
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by K'Nuckles
Subsubgenres hmu

Funeral doom hmu
tbh I only rate the genres that have a clear or identifiably "similar" sound. Funeral doom kind of checks out on that front. There's a whole swathe of bands that took the grimmest doom and the slowest death and made a friendly blend.

Even 'drone doom' is a thing despite 'drone' being a technique or compositional element. It's like having Stacatto Folk or Swing Ja-oh shit wait.

Seriously though, even that now has its own very similar-sounding group of artists who, compared to what is typically called 'doom', are from a totally different world. getting picky over genres is bullshit but if someone says something like "operatic swing metal" I immediately think of a couple of bands.

it's the fucks who argue over it that are the worst the rest of it is just nerds who have a niche taste and want more of it
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I only get fussy when someone uses the word Metalcore without knowing what is actually metalcore and what is just heavily watered down melodic death metal suitable for people to listen to on the radio.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by DamienEx1021
I only get fussy when someone uses the word Metalcore without knowing what is actually metalcore and what is just heavily watered down melodic death metal suitable for people to listen to on the radio.

is this legitimately a real thing that bothers a real human being
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
metal is for fuk boys
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by K33nbl4d3

First world problems right?

I was also tasked with the difficult choice of whether or not I was going to spend $240 on a 1200w power supply or $300 on a 1600w power supply for my computer.

I can afford to get annoyed by things like peoples misuse of the term metalcore.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by K33nbl4d3

You just made my day lol

Check out my Music Here
Metal and electronic music are the two kinds of music that have a ridiculous amount of sub genres. Nothing really wrong with it, it's just annoying when some people take music classification too seriously.