Page 1 of 2
Share your stories of open mic nights, they can be of the one you did last, one burned into your memory for life, stories of someone else's performances, good or bad.

Or talk about anything related to performing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start.

Last night I played open mic in a pub. It's my 4th or 5th time doing it.

I get very nervous, mainly because my singing is very bad so I decided to open up with an instrumental I wrote. It was going well until I kept getting really bad feedback from my guitar so had to stop abruptly.

I then went on to try and play some Bright Eyes. It went bad immediately when I fucked up the first verse and then preceded to miss out half the song lol. Then I played some Babyshambles which didn't go as bad, but still had issues forgetting chords at times. And finally I played one I wrote myself for the first time. I even forgot my own words at the end, and it became a disaster.

I BOMBED.

So I am kinda scarred by last night and it will take a lot for me to bounce back and do it again. I've bombed every other time too, but not as bad as tonight probably.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
i hosted an open mic once
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It's not a big deal, that's how you get better.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Nero Galon
Share your stories of open mic nights, they can be of the one you did last, one burned into your memory for life, stories of someone else's performances, good or bad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start.

I get very nervous, mainly because my singing is very bad so I decided to open up with an instrumental I wrote. It was going well until I kept getting really bad feedback from my guitar so had to stop abruptly.

I then went on to try and play some Bright Eyes. It went bad immediately when I fucked up the first verse and then preceded to miss out half the song lol. Then I played some Babyshambles which didn't go as bad, but still had issues forgetting chords at times. And finally I played one I wrote myself for the first time. I even forgot my own words at the end, and it became a disaster.

I BOMBED.

So I am kinda scarred by last night and it will take a lot for me to bounce back and do it again. I've bombed every other time too, but not as bad as tonight probably.

Don't worry. As much as you think you bombed, you're the only who cares. you could have played wonderfully and you still would have been the only one who cares.
Last edited by flexiblemile at Nov 25, 2015,
A friend from back home who studies here hosts the one here. I always like to go alone preferably as I am OK embarrassing myself, but its not fair on others getting second hand embarrassment. I think it explains why the regulars who are good don't like to associate themselves with me.

Everyone who plays always has a big entourage of friends there to support, I imagine if I did the same they'd probably be too embarrassed to speak to me again lol.

Quote by metal4eva_22
My worst open mic was the first one. I actually took out my phone halfway through the set. Second was a blast.

That is all
I've done a couple

I don't remember the first one, but the last one I did made people come upe to me and tell me they really enjoyed my playing, no one else got that like I did though
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Nov 25, 2015,
I played a couple and it's ok but it's rare that anyone really genuinely appreciates the music and I hate playing for people who don't really listen or care. I have had some nice moments of people telling me I'm amazing and could be famous and blah blah blah, but in general there is very little reaction, positive or negative.

I have played solo shows with more success, although I feel similarly about that because I'm not much of a singer and people tend to not pay attention if you're playing guitar but not singing.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Nov 25, 2015,
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I played a couple and it's ok but it's rare that anyone really genuinely appreciates the music and I hate playing for people who don't really listen or care. I have had some nice moments of people telling me I'm amazing and could be famous and blah blah blah, but in general there is very little reaction, positive or negative.

I have played solo shows with more success, although I feel similarly about that because I'm not much of a singer and people tend to not pay attention if you're playing guitar but not singing.

Yeah, this is the main problem with open mics. People are there to have music in the background while they drink
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Nero Galon

I'll start.

I BOMBED.

When you have learned the song so well that you can pick up your guitar and play it perfectly every time without thinking about it you might be ready.
This is what separates the men from the boys. We know what were doing and we don't play for free.
Just don't play in front of anybody ever

Works great for me
My God, it's full of stars!
The one thing that sucks about playing banjo or almost any instrument that isn't a guitar or piano is that it's a novelty and people it's the greatest thing ever, so there are always tons of compliments.

This is very frustrating because I always blow pretty much any sort of stage performance. I don't really get nervous so much as overly excited. I love playing on stage, but the problem is that I love it too much and so it's too big of an adrenaline rush to handle.

When that happens, pretty much all bets are off. There is no control over anything. Everything suddenly shoots up to 400 beats per minute and I just can't manage anything intricate at that kind of speed.

Afterwards I feel bad about my complete lack of finesse that ever single compliment just feels awful and I feel like I never want to get on stage again, and yet every time I'm thrilled to get up there.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
The one thing that sucks about playing banjo or almost any instrument that isn't a guitar or piano is that it's a novelty and people it's the greatest thing ever, so there are always tons of compliments.

can confirm, I can play any old shit on the accordion and people love it.

This is very frustrating because I always blow pretty much any sort of stage performance. I don't really get nervous so much as overly excited. I love playing on stage, but the problem is that I love it too much and so it's too big of an adrenaline rush to handle.

used to do this, calmed down a lot now, still get jittery and excited, but not bad. Still make like 10 mistakes per song though, unless I'm playing Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, which always sounds good as long as I tap my foot at the same time

Afterwards I feel bad about my complete lack of finesse that ever single compliment just feels awful and I feel like I never want to get on stage again, and yet every time I'm thrilled to get up there.

I get this too, "you were so good!" Not really, I missed a beat there, there should have been a quick run there, I hit the wrong note during that solo, that section came in too early, so many things I can say were wrong.

I just say thank you and move on
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Dreadnought

Works great for me

huu

Quote by Dreadnought at #33700191

Works great for me

it's the best way to do it
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Only open mic I've ever been to was a comedic open mic on the cruise I went on. I didn't participate because they said no racist jokes. Sucks for them. I had like, 20 racist jokes lined up.

Someone made a bunch about Arabians anyways. It was like your average grandpa jokes only if grandpa was racist.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Nov 26, 2015,
It probably would have been acceptable if they were racist jokes about your own ethnicity. Forget the name of that Iranian female comic that her main shtick is making racist jokes about being middle eastern.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by Joshua Garcia

Someone made a bunch about Arabians anyways. It was like your average grandpa jokes only if grandpa was racist.

all grandpas are at least 45% racist
Quote by Nero Galon
It probably would have been acceptable if they were racist jokes about your own ethnicity. Forget the name of that Iranian female comic that her main shtick is making racist jokes about being middle eastern.

shappi khorsandi? or however her name is spelled
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Yeah her.

Quote by metal4eva_22
i thought this was gonna be like people record their open mic sets and share them. i'm kinda glad it's not because you lot play wood things but it'd be better prob
I think the worst thing you can do for you confidence is read these feeds... grab a beer, grab a guitar and go do you thing.
I think the worst thing you can do for you confidence is read these feeds... grab a beer, grab a guitar and go do you thing.
doug.schneller Unless you are at the BlueBird Cafe...
I hosted a karaoke thing at my place a while back with some friends, and every chick was pretty drunk, it was lit.
For me, I just play some of my own songs or some popular hits on my acoustic and sing in a corner during parties while everyone chats it up, never had an embarrassing moment just being in the background lol.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I was at a small dive bar one night and there was a band of old timers playing some slow blues or jazz (I don't remember), and I talked the bass player into letting me get up and play an improvised jam with the rest of the band. It started out good and then I started to bust out Fly by Night in the middle of playing. The band just kinda lost its place and then I heard this guy (the owner of the bass), yell from the crowd..."put down the bass"

I left shortly after.
how many movements do you have going on, psychotic ?
I was at an open mic night at a bar once and this dude who you could clearly tell was nervous as fuck starts playing and it doesn't sound bad something he wrote himself as soon as he opens his mouth to sing he fucking threw up all over the mic and stage and then just walked away like nothing at all happened. Never seen the dude again. I felt kinda bad must have been embarrassing as fuck but it was kinda funny at the same time.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Forgot I made this thread...

So i've played open mic once since making this thread and it did actually go down much better than previous attempts however it still wasn't good (to a professional standard)

What I can say is that i've learnt the importance of using tunings/capos to play songs in altered keys that suit your voice instead of trying to sing in keys you can't.

Like instrumentally I fucking nailed everything 100% which was fucking awesome cos I was doing solos and shit and it was great to actually say hey I performed in front of like 60 people and hit every note.

And some of the songs I sung weren't bad. But then I remember one song I started singing in a much higher key to the capo and then in the second verse I noticeably fixed it LOL.

Oh and in the audience were my housemates which was a first for me. Previous times i've gone alone. Oh and it turns out that this girl that I crushed over for a year was also listening which was at the time annoying. But after all of this, I can say I give less fucks anymore. I know I wont ever be a singer, but becoming less nervous will improve my performances to a point where I can hold my own.

Quote by metal4eva_22
not exactly an open mic night, but it felt like one:

very last live show i played with the guitarist/singer from my first band. no drummer. we split because he was a creep.

cover a NOFX song with me just playing bass and singer singing. (don't even ask it was so fucking bad)

singer forgets lyrics near end of song, thrusts the mic in my face.

i get confused and nervous and freeze up and completely fuck up the rest of the song.

end set.

former friend and drummer shows up with a gang of mall punks to throw rocks at our car as we drive away.

I don't miss being 14.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Haven't been to one for a few months. Maybe I'll go Thursday.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
jakesmellspoo

holy shit LOL

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by jakesmellspoo
not exactly an open mic night, but it felt like one:

very last live show i played with the guitarist/singer from my first band. no drummer. we split because he was a creep.

cover a NOFX song with me just playing bass and singer singing. (don't even ask it was so fucking bad)

singer forgets lyrics near end of song, thrusts the mic in my face.

i get confused and nervous and freeze up and completely fuck up the rest of the song.

end set.

former friend and drummer shows up with a gang of mall punks to throw rocks at our car as we drive away.

I don't miss being 14.

Best story you ever told.
Free Ali
Free Lard
I played a few open mics when I was a teenager...I just realised I haven't played live since 2010

I can't say I've fucked up terribly at any of the nights, probably done a couple of solos that were pretty boring and or/lame.....One time I was playing a riff with a slide, and then I had to take it off my finger, but I mucked it up and basically just whacked the open strings with the slide which made a pretty awful noise.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by yope
When you have learned the song so well that you can pick up your guitar and play it perfectly every time without thinking about it you might be ready.
This is what separates the men from the boys. We know what were doing and we don't play for free.

This one knows.

I don't understand having the gulls to perform if you don't have it down completely.
That said. We all make mistakes.

I'm working on not getting sloppy after a bunch of shots. That's a duesy
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
I've never played in public. Too afraid of rejection. A shame, I have a really nice singing voice.
Never done one; can't sing, and without other people to also make mistakes/cover mine up, I don't much want to play in front of people.

Having said that, if I did do one, I'd almost certainly play the Welly Boot song.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Phazon
This one knows.

I don't understand having the gulls to perform if you don't have it down completely.
That said. We all make mistakes.

I'm working on not getting sloppy after a bunch of shots. That's a duesy

At an open mic?
Page 1 of 2