How many picks is enough....

At this very moment - how many guitar picks can you get to without taking more than one step ie in your pocket or somewhere near you.
I just realised I carry 5 picks with me almost always.

purple dunlop tortex 1.14 x 2 - for lead
black dunlop x 1 just always seems to be there
grey dunlop nylon 1.14 strum rythm
Brain pick 1.14 Nylon - just checking out - amazing grip - may use more.

And half the time I finger pick anyway!

And how many would you take with you on stage?

Peace and good will
Settle on one that will cover everything you need. I just throw a few on top of my amp as spares in case I drop one. In the middle of a song you can't be chasing the one that you need. If they are all the same, that isn't an issue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Settle on one that will cover everything you need. I just throw a few on top of my amp as spares in case I drop one. In the middle of a song you can't be chasing the one that you need. If they are all the same, that isn't an issue.

yep
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know what you mean about just using one, but I do prefer the nylon slip for strumming and the tortex cuts more into the strings for lead
one in my hand, a spare tucked between the strings on the headstock and maybe another one in my pocket
I do what Cath does. I grab a handful of Dunlop 1.0 sharps and go. I have tried all sorts of picks, and I always come back to sharps for better grab.

Having different picks for every occasion is just way too much. Find a good middle of the road.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Just ultex jazz pickups for me now. I don't do much strumming per se nowadays.

One in my wallet and a pack in my guitar case.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Nov 25, 2015,
I use Dunlop Ultex .73 sharps for everything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dunlop .88 Nylon are pretty much all I use. Usually carry a few in my wallet just for the heck of it. Keep some in my cases. And the rest are in a bowl that sits on top of one of my amps. I'm sure there are a few in the dryer and under the car seat as well.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Epic Grips are all I use. They're $12 each, So, I carry one and don't lose the others.
I mainly use Dunlop Tortex III Pitch Black 2.0mm picks for strumming and picking, but I also have some 6.5mm emerald stone picks for heavier playing and the exotic look.
Quote by dante.adurte16
6.5mm emerald stone picks for heavier playing and the exotic look.

They are serious stuff. Are they heavy?
$20 each - on sale! (usually25)
That's like more than a 6 pack of beers....
I use the purple tortex for leads and I always carry a few with me. I'll uses either 1mm or .83 for strumming, which I don't really do too often. In my opinion, you can never have enough picks. I swear there's some gremlin running around swiping all of mine.
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
I mostly use Gravity picks.

But they're pretty expensive, and I have friends who steal picks as if they were Chex Mix.

So I have a Pick Punch. I get six or seven picks out of an average expired credit card, and there are other materials that work. At this point I've probably got several hundred picks created with this thing, and I just leave them out and about whenever company is coming.

The Gravitys, meanwhile, are nowhere to be found.
i really don't think you should use more than one pick. maybe one for electric and one for acoustic tops.

i use the dunlop carbon fiber jazz 3's for EVERYTHING they grip like hell, hardly ever wear, and they are still pretty cheap.

as far as picks go, i have at least one or two sitting on top of each amp. and i always keep two in my wallet and a handful in my drinkholder in my car.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I don't carry picks around with me; why on earth would I need an emergency pick?

I have a few in my guitar case and a few on a shelf by my amp.

I use John Petrucci Jazz IIIs because I like the point and they last a bit better than the regular Jazz IIIs when subjected to funk and the like.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Tortex .88s for everything that isn't the blues.

Fender 351 medium shells for teh bl00z.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Tortex .60 and .88 (orange and green ones) at any given time I've got about 20 on my person :p
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Nov 26, 2015,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I don't carry picks around with me; why on earth would I need an emergency pick?.

I don't carry an "emergency" pick. But on any given day, if you turn my pockets out, there'll be a pick there.
Quote by dspellman
I don't carry an "emergency" pick. But on any given day, if you turn my pockets out, there'll be a pick there.

I've put pants in the wash and still found picks in the pockets
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
When I started playing 40 years ago it was Fender 351 picks. After years of trying others I came back to Fender 351. It's just what I am use to feeling. I buy a gross of them for $30 on Amazon and it's just one pick for everything. I have gotten into the confetti colored picks because I can find the ones I drop easier at the end of the night in a dark club on that worn beer stained rug on the stage..
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I used to carry picks with me but nowadays I just use my fingers if there's no pick available. Chances are I won't be shredding or anything intense in that situation