So I'm looking for a tube amp. Right now I'm using a Fender Mustang 2 V2 40W, (which is a modelling) with my main guitar being a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Passive. I'd be using the amp mostly just for home practice, and maybe recording somewhere down the line. As for what I play, metal and hard rock are my favorites, but I also play blues and softer/pop rock sometimes. With that being said, I would rather have one more suited for heavier tones even if that meant sacrificing the lighter/cleaner tones. So: I'm leaning towards a combo amp because of convenience, but would it be better to get a head/cab? What wattage should I be looking for considering that the majority of my playing will be at home? And finally, what are some models that you would recommend? Thank you.
Budget and location?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
wattage not as big a deal as you might think. amps have a volume knob for a reason

Peavey 6505+ combo would do the trick. clean channel won't win any awards but the dirt channel can handle any metal you throw at it. a Marshall dsl40c would also work but is at the top of your budget.
Mesa Studio 22 or 22 Caliber. Great amps with searing OD on tap with a little boost up front. Great Fender Deluxe style cleans. Just do it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yeah, I figured wattage wouldn't matter as much especially considering I'll be at home mostly. Never hurts to ask right? XD That Marshall looks pretty neat, never heard of the Mesa Studio one but I'll be sure to check it out. Any advantages/disadvantages as to head/cab vs combo? I guess it would be nice to be able mix and match different combinations of heads/cabs, but is there more to it than that? (I apologize for the newb questions )
If you can find a used Randall RM20, that may be the ticket. I scored mine nearly if not mint, with Blackface module and a spiffy cover for $350 and it absolutely annihilated my amp GAS. It may very well be the last amp I ever buy.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I prefer a combo for mobility but you can run any combo through a full stack if you need the giggles. It's really more of a fashion statement than anything else.

Here is one:
https://reverb.com/item/810645-1980s-mesa-boogie-studio-22-caliber-series-black-sounds-great?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=CKeS95GfrckCFUKSfgod_X8Asg
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
In both SF and LA there are Mesa Boogie Mark iiBs or Mark IIIs combos for $900 or less. Look em up on craigslist, buy one of those, don't buy another amp for 5+ years. It'll do metal, blues, everything and the ******* sink, sound good at room levels, sound amazing at small gigs and blow a hole through everyone at medium ones.
there are a lot of good ideas here. i would personally look into a DSL40c or DSL401 used. i haven't had a mesa disappoint me yet, look at the caliber series, the f-series, and the express series. most should be found in budget. also i have seen a lot of mesa marks for lower prices.

give them a listen and see what you like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Definitely look into the Mesas but I'll throw out the Laney IronHeart Studio as another option. It has some cool recording features and since you're playing at home you can cut the sound and play directly into the computer - then monitor with your DAW.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by joncfong
So I'm looking for a tube amp. Right now I'm using a Fender Mustang 2 V2 40W, (which is a modelling) with my main guitar being a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Passive. I'd be using the amp mostly just for home practice, and maybe recording somewhere down the line. As for what I play, metal and hard rock are my favorites, but I also play blues and softer/pop rock sometimes. With that being said, I would rather have one more suited for heavier tones even if that meant sacrificing the lighter/cleaner tones. So: I'm leaning towards a combo amp because of convenience, but would it be better to get a head/cab? What wattage should I be looking for considering that the majority of my playing will be at home? And finally, what are some models that you would recommend? Thank you.

Try to find a small Mesa Boogie second hand - Express or something similar.
Home recording - how about a blackstar ht1 (1 watt) driving a 4x 12! Trust me, your neighbours will not like you even at 1 watt!! Marshall also do a 1 watt but at more money.