Ok, so I'm kind of new to owning this variety of pedals. I've always had a wah and a distortion or fuzz, but that's about it. But recently I've purchased a bunch of pedals. And I'm just curious on how the chain should go. I'll go with my gut and list how I would chain them and if someone would be nice enough to correct me, I'd really appreciate it.

From guitar to amp: Boss TU-3 Tuner, Vox Wah, Fulltone OCD Overdrive, Fuzzface, Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2, Electro Harmonix Memory Toy, Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe, Xotic EP Booster Preamp
That, exactly. Just don't engage all of them at once. I hope all those OD, fuzz, and boosters are feeding a nice tube amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
That, exactly. Just don't engage all of them at once. I hope all those OD, fuzz, and boosters are feeding a nice tube amp.

Thanks a lot for letting me know, I appreciate it. I only have a Fender Frontman 212R to work with. The only reason I have anything I have is because I got it for a good price or used. Money has been tight for a while. But a tube amp is definitely next on the list.
Quote by Will Lane
You might want to put the pedals after the octafuzz in the effects loop of whatever amp you get. The FM212R has one as well it is just labeled pre out and pwr in.

Thanks for the advice, what kind of benefit would this have?
It allows the pedals in the effects loop to bypass the preamp of the actual amp. Pedals like overdrives are meant to directly affect the preamp to change the sound at that point, for distortion or compression, etc. The effects loop send is a break right after the preamp, the return right before the power amp. The power amp can be considered to be a lot cleaner with effects. Delays and reverbs are a lot less likely to overdrive/overload the power amp than the preamp. Some people like delays and reverb in the front, and that is okay too.

So if you were to put everything in the front into just the input, you could kind of overload the preamp and you'll end up with a muddy tone, especially if you have a lot of delay repeats. If you put delay and vibe and whatnot in the loop, the preamp is separated from those effects and it sounds a lot cleaner and crisper.

If you run the amp itself fairly clean and use pedals mostly for dirt, then you will not notice too big of a difference between the front input and effects loop use. But depending on the amp, you will notice clarity and lack of mud when using the loop. If your amp has some drive going on, you will likely need to use the effects loop as you will end up with mud elsehow. Unless that is what you are going for.

tl;dr try it and find out.

Also, are you using the EP booster as an always on grit boost or a volume boost? If you want a grit boost keep it in the front input as the last in the chain. If you need volume boost try it in the effects loop.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 26, 2015,
That's awesome man, thanks a lot for the advice. I go for a Hendrix sound, with plenty of my own flair. So I'll try it out and see which way I prefer. I'm thinking of using the EP booster as an always on kind of thing, but I'm not too sure. I've never had a preamp but my friend was upgrading so I bought a few pedals from him cheap. So I figured I'd give it a try after reading a lot of good things about it online.
Last edited by JTMGuitar at Nov 26, 2015,
^Neat. Yeah, the EP booster is generally an always on enhancer. So you'll probably like it mostly in the front input of the amp. But you might like it in the loop as well, it would give you more of a volume boost and will help grit up the power amp. You will notice its work more with a tube amp, though.

Any ideas on what amp you are looking at in the future?
Yeah, I'll be doing plenty of experimenting for sure, haha. A tube amp will be my next big investment. Do you happen to know of any quality budget (or at least cheaper) tube amps for a Hendrix sound? All I really know of are the big name, high priced tube amps. And I don't think I'll have Marshall money for a while, haha.
Quote by JTMGuitar
Thanks a lot for letting me know, I appreciate it. I only have a Fender Frontman 212R to work with. The only reason I have anything I have is because I got it for a good price or used. Money has been tight for a while. But a tube amp is definitely next on the list.

Ok the amp matters a lot and the Frontman is the weakest link in your signal chain by a long shot. The OCD and EP booster probably will make things sound worse instead of better in front of that SS amp. If it were me I would trade the Frontman and 1/2 your pedals for a Super Champ X2 or other small tube amp like a Blues Jr. What you lose in bells and whistles, you will gain in serious guitar tone. A lot of great Hendrix stuff can be found in a Super Champ on the Plexi voice with no pedals needed at all. Food for thought. For now, just leave the OCD and EP in their box. Wah delay, and vibe are fine. Fuzz will be iffy into a Frontman. Time to do some serious horse tradin'.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 26, 2015,
put your fuzzface first. it normally doesn't like to be after a buffer (your tuner is buffered).

the octafuzz might be the same, or it might not. I'm not sure, I haven't tried it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks like I have a lot to think about, Cajundaddy. I might save up for a budget tube amp stack. I hear that Peavey has some nice stuff for lower prices.

Quote by Dave_Mc
put your fuzzface first. it normally doesn't like to be after a buffer (your tuner is buffered).

the octafuzz might be the same, or it might not. I'm not sure, I haven't tried it.

I'll try that out too, I was just going by how I've seen Hendrix's setup in videos. And honestly I use the tuner more as a mute switch than a tuner. I could probably take it out of the chain if necessary. And I use the octafuzz more for the octave than the fuzz, haha.
Ya know, people always knock the Frontman.
Its not always as bad as some say IMO.

There was a band playing at my sisters bar last month.
Two guitarists.
One had 3 or 4 Strats all with SC pups. And a Mesa amp (Dunno what model though).
The other guitarist had a Frontman and a PRS.

IMHO, the guy with the Frontman and the PRS sounded way better.
I mean a lot better.
Might have had something to do with Humbuckers versus Single Coils though.
That and maybe the guy with the Mesa did a shitty job with the EQ.

But that said, I don't think a Frontman would be my first choice.
But I'm a Vox guy.
The Frontman wasn't a choice as much as a deal and, at the time, a necessary upgrade. It's served me and my strat well over the past couple of years. But then again all I was using at that time was a wah and a fuzzface. I've only heard good things about it, but it was always attached to "for a solid state".
A Frontman does have its uses and for squeaky clean country or jazz stuff it works pretty well. To cover Hendrix? Just awful IMO. Choose the right tool for the right job and I think tubes are mandatory for Hendrix tone. Something that emulates a Plexi, even better. Super Champ X2 does Hendrix pretty well for the price of 2 pedals. Give it a look.

Quote by JTMGuitar

I'll try that out too, I was just going by how I've seen Hendrix's setup in videos. And honestly I use the tuner more as a mute switch than a tuner. I could probably take it out of the chain if necessary. And I use the octafuzz more for the octave than the fuzz, haha.

yeah. and try the fuzz and wah both ways round (if you can be bothered) in case you prefer the sound one way or the other.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My concern with the Fender Champ x2 is that it's 15 watts. Most of the guys I jam with have 100 watt amps or close to it, and they love to play loud. I'm not sure how 15 watts will measure up to their sound. But that's really my only concern, I don't really do any kind of gigs anymore. Though that could also change in the future.

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. and try the fuzz and wah both ways round (if you can be bothered) in case you prefer the sound one way or the other.

I just did, and I actually think I like it better first. I wasn't expecting that, haha. I could've sworn that I didn't like it when I tried it years ago. But regardless, thanks for the idea.
Quote by JTMGuitar
My concern with the Fender Champ x2 is that it's 15 watts. Most of the guys I jam with have 100 watt amps or close to it, and they love to play loud. I'm not sure how 15 watts will measure up to their sound. But that's really my only concern, I don't really do any kind of gigs anymore. Though that could also change in the future.

I gig occasionally with my SCXD when I don't need the Mesa and at 15w it runs with a tour quality DW drum kit pretty well. My bass player has a 600w rig and my keys player runs 1000w bi-amped system. Hopefully your 100w buddies can find the volume control on their amp before all their hearing has left the building. If not, find some new friends who "get it". The SCXD will go to 115db which is pretty damn loud.

Seriously though, there are a lot of great tube amps from Fender, Marshall, Laney, Orange that will open up Hendrix tone heaven for less than $500 used. The Frontman is certainly loud but will only disappoint when trying to overcome it's many shortcomings. Trying to get into Hendrix tone with pedals in front is a long dead end road. Time to pass on that "screaming deal" to someone who can put all that clean to work and find a real amp with some serious grit and mojo in it's DNA... or not.

We all owned an amp that was not well suited to our playing style at some point. Some folks figure it out sooner than others. I started out just like you many years ago with a big amp that lacked mojo, and over time figured out that tone is everything and watts just don't matter much. Jimi, SRV, Jeff Beck, Robbie Krieger, Clapton, and Dick Dale are the foundations of my guitar tone.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 29, 2015,
Quote by JTMGuitar

I just did, and I actually think I like it better first. I wasn't expecting that, haha. I could've sworn that I didn't like it when I tried it years ago. But regardless, thanks for the idea.

no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?