They don't do anything new or better anymore. I used to buy the latest and greatest phone every year but I lost the desire now. My two year old phone is pretty much the same as new ones, just different package.

Hell a galaxy s3 camera and battery still beats 90% of the cameras in the recent years. My moto x camera is much worse and it's almost 3 years newer

It's come to where design is king. (rosegold iphones just lol)

the next revolution is battery (10 + years most likely for anything that can be used for a full day without worrying about charging)

the first one that can jam 5000+ MaH battery will be baking.

Then you think what all of those people are doing in the line outside the Apple Store this Black Friday .....
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Yes because smart watches are a thing and wearables are the future
My God, it's full of stars!
It's not the 'phone craze', it's that the assholes who were into it have moved onto newer, pointless-er things.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
The main differences I see are the battery life improving with each go round.
My phone from 2 years ago would last about an hour and a half of youtube before needing a charge.
I had a similar conversation(s) about televisions recently. Shit's getting out of hand with 4K resolution, Smart TVs, bent TVs, and 3D TVs. Like, I just want to watch my television clearly.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
I had a similar conversation(s) about televisions recently. Shit's getting out of hand with 4K resolution, Smart TVs, bent TVs, and 3D TVs. Like, I just want to watch my television clearly.

4K is pretty fucking great though
Quote by Dreadnought
Yes because smart watches are a thing and wearables are the future

doubt it

l8r
My old man buys all the latest gadgets and I honestly can't understand it. My phone is pretty old but I have had 0 issues with it so I see no reason to replace it.

Meanwhile, he's got the newest phones and a fitbit (even though he walks maybe 50 steps a day).
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Meanwhile, he's got the newest phones and a fitbit (even though he walks maybe 50 steps a day).

People like this crack me up
Quote by WCPhils

It looks pretty good for certain things like if you're watching space, nature, sports, etc. But for most things, it sort of looks dumb. I don't want things to look significantly better than they really do.

Also, very little is actually recorded and rendered in 4K, so how does it work for everything else? Does it switch to a lower resolution mode? 'Cause otherwise, it'd probably look pretty bad.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by Dreadnought
People like this crack me up

It's the worst. I can't help but lol every time he brings it up.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's the worst. I can't help but lol every time he brings it up.

I wear a "smart" fitness watch too, but I like to think that I make better use of it
Quote by Dreadnought
I wear a "smart" fitness watch too, but I like to think that I make better use of it

It's one thing if you're actually fit and using it though.

He literally bought it just to say he has one
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by chrismendiola
It looks pretty good for certain things like if you're watching space, nature, sports, etc. But for most things, it sort of looks dumb. I don't want things to look significantly better than they really do.

Also, very little is actually recorded and rendered in 4K, so how does it work for everything else? Does it switch to a lower resolution mode? 'Cause otherwise, it'd probably look pretty bad.

My uncle has one and everything looks super nice. And stuff in 1080p looks better than on a standard HD tv. The picture is much crisper
Quote by WCPhils
My uncle has one and everything looks super nice. And stuff in 1080p looks better than on a standard HD tv. The picture is much crisper

I'll have to check that out, but I'm still skeptical I could ever rationalize wanting a better television than I already have.

Also, when you said "standard HD tv," it really exemplified my point. There's high definition, and now there's high high definition.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Smart watches are shite at the moment. I really like the idea of one, but then I look closely at what's out and they don't do anything well.

They're huge cumbersome things which look pretty horrible, with nasty low resolution screens and apps which don't do much at all. Maybe read a text message.

Example: The reason I wanted one was for cycling. You can buy expensive GPS devices to give you cycling routes, directions on the fly, but I thought, my phone has that capability already, but having the screen on drains batteries.

"What if I could get a small screen to strap onto my handle bars that will relay information from my phone? Directions, maps, speeds, times... Hey, smart watches must be able to do that!" *look into it* "Oh at best I can input a route on google maps and get some arrows to show up on screen. No strava integration or anything like that."

But they definitely have a future. Once they get smaller, more powerful and better screens they'll be immense.

What I want to see is more use of e-ink screens. I've never had a kindle, only seen then very briefly (others using them on trains) but they look incredible... like, that technology does not get enough credit. A screen that is natural, no visible pixels or backlights. That, on a watch would be great. Less battery usage and no glow coming from your watch.
Quote by WCPhils

I honestly don't think most people could notice the difference between 2k and 4k (unless the TV's big as fuck and the room it's placed in is huge).

Hell, I don't, and I'm clearly the authority on all things in life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I honestly don't think most people could notice the difference between 2k and 4k (unless the TV's big as fuck and the room it's placed in is huge).

As long as it's what apple define as a "retina" display, then it's fine.

The retina standard depends on pixel density and distance to your eyes. As VR headsets come into it, screens are going to be very close to your eyes. To get a good 360° view, the screens will need to be relatively large (like 10 inches or whatever) and 1080p won't be enough.

But for a phone.... 4K is ridiculous, who needs that?!
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

agree on this. i'm all about picture quality but yeah unless the screen is huge and you have something that really benifits from the 4 k then most won't really see the difference. in your average living room 1080P is just fine. way to soon to even think of "upgrading" movies to 4k. i still have a long ways to go just going to blu-ray (and many movies i have really aren't even worth the effort fo doing that let alone worying about 4K)
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Smart watches are shite at the moment. I really like the idea of one, but then I look closely at what's out and they don't do anything well.

They're huge cumbersome things which look pretty horrible, with nasty low resolution screens and apps which don't do much at all. Maybe read a text message.

Example: The reason I wanted one was for cycling. You can buy expensive GPS devices to give you cycling routes, directions on the fly, but I thought, my phone has that capability already, but having the screen on drains batteries.

"What if I could get a small screen to strap onto my handle bars that will relay information from my phone? Directions, maps, speeds, times... Hey, smart watches must be able to do that!" *look into it* "Oh at best I can input a route on google maps and get some arrows to show up on screen. No strava integration or anything like that."

But they definitely have a future. Once they get smaller, more powerful and better screens they'll be immense.

What I want to see is more use of e-ink screens. I've never had a kindle, only seen then very briefly (others using them on trains) but they look incredible... like, that technology does not get enough credit. A screen that is natural, no visible pixels or backlights. That, on a watch would be great. Less battery usage and no glow coming from your watch.

The Garmin fenix 3 can do all of those things well, with the exception of detailed maps.

At any rate, the best things for cycling are these

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/cIntoSports-cCycling-p1.html
Quote by chrismendiola

I still have a CRT

On the floor.

Because that's how you really play Melee.
I have a smart tv that has good resolution and plays netflix, what more would I want? These expensive super hi def and 3d tvs seem pointless to me.
why phones do ya'll have rn?

inb4 1998 nokia master race
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Smartphones are fully baked. They won't surprise you anymore but we're still seeing steady performance increases and design tweaks. They're gonna be around for a while. Wearables probably won't replace them any time soon.

Quote by Amuro Jay
I still have a CRT

On the floor.

Because that's how you really play Melee.

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
As long as it's what apple define as a "retina" display, then it's fine.

The retina standard depends on pixel density and distance to your eyes. As VR headsets come into it, screens are going to be very close to your eyes. To get a good 360° view, the screens will need to be relatively large (like 10 inches or whatever) and 1080p won't be enough.

But for a phone.... 4K is ridiculous, who needs that?!

Retina display is damn gorgeous yeah. I was talking mainly about TV. I don't really know how VR would work haha.

Quote by monwobobbo
agree on this. i'm all about picture quality but yeah unless the screen is huge and you have something that really benifits from the 4 k then most won't really see the difference. in your average living room 1080P is just fine. way to soon to even think of "upgrading" movies to 4k. i still have a long ways to go just going to blu-ray (and many movies i have really aren't even worth the effort fo doing that let alone worying about 4K)

I've got a 55" TV and the 1080p is so nice. I wouldn't mind a 2k update and a slightly bigger screen, but 4k and 'ultra HD' are suuuch overkill.
These new fangled TVS are exposing the flaws in filmmaking and tv.
A bunch of red cloth no longer looks like an alien forest. Just looks like what it is.
You can see inside people's pores and all their skin blemishes too well.
Quote by Eastwinn
doubt it

l8r

The man universally referred to as "The Father of the Cellphone" Martin Cooper, disagrees with you. He is expecting the jack-of-all-trades, master of none smartphone will be replaced by a few more specialized devices which all work together. In an interview with PocketNow he explained that the smartwatch is the first step in this process.

I currently wear an Android smartwatch and have found it to be an indispensable piece of technology. I find myself reaching for my phone a lot less and because of this, I have only had one or two days in which my phone died before the end of the day. Also, it's much more socially acceptable to check your watch in a meeting without appearing rude. Since my notifications come to my watch, I can choose what needs my immediate attention and what can wait.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
Quote by tateandlyle
i don't have a phone or a watch so how a smart-watch is indispensable is beyond me

I don't get this. No phone? What does that mean?

What does anything mean?
Whenever anyone starts talking about phones and comparing phones in a social gathering, I start cringing immensely. I mean, how much more trivial can it get??

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
My mobile telephone can be summed thusly:

FLIPPY FLIPPY FLIPPY
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Retina display is damn gorgeous yeah. I was talking mainly about TV. I don't really know how VR would work haha.

I've got a 55" TV and the 1080p is so nice. I wouldn't mind a 2k update and a slightly bigger screen, but 4k and 'ultra HD' are suuuch overkill.

well 2K won't do much good as currently almost everything is outputed in 1080P or less. 2K masters are used for a lot of blu-rays but the players (except really high end ones perhaps) output at 1080P. i kinda doubt you'd see much of a difference either.

i also agree (to a point) with the guy that mentioned that to high def of a picture reveals to much and kills movies or tv shows with making things look to fake. old movies take a beating already as you can see the wires or the blue screen lines.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Whenever anyone starts talking about phones and comparing phones in a social gathering, I start cringing immensely. I mean, how much more trivial can it get??

for sure