Poll: Should we educate inmates on societal development?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should we educate inmates on societal development?
Yes
17 100%
No
0 0%
Other (explain)
0 0%
Voters: 17.
So this video came out yesterday that made me start thinking -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrH6UMYAVsk

Is it cruel to not educate prison inmates (of whom are scheduled to be let out after decades of being incarcerated) on the development of society? This lack of education can cause major difficulties upon reentry of free life. Should we educate prison inmates on the development of society?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Probably. But America will be competing with China to be the last nation to bother.

Truth

Our prison system sucks dick
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Truth

Our prison system sucks dick

I think most prison systems probably do. It's just a varying degree of commitment/enthusiasm.
Didn't watch but that man looks very wise already.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Yea, but he probably doesn't know what a Game Boy is.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yea, but he probably doesn't know what a Game Boy is.

He may not know about a Game Boy

But he knows about the game, boy
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ErikLensherr at #33701617

tl;dw

man spends 44 years in jail

comes out and hes like "everything's different and i have no idea what i'm doing but it's nice"
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Omg, I want to watch the vid but I just keep getting a blank space where it should be. This has been happening for a week now UG, wtf...
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer at #33701673
Omg, I want to watch the vid but I just keep getting a blank space where it should be. This has been happening for a week now UG, wtf...

https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=OrH6UMYAVsk

just delete the space
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

44 years is pretty incomprehensible to me

I mean I'm 24 (tomorrow) and can only remember well about 20 of those years, so I can't imagine living through all that and then again, but in prison.

I don't know if any sort of societal acclimation could prepare you for release, unless it goes on actively as the culture changes.

And I don't see US prisons giving that much of a damn ever.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Trowzaa
https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=OrH6UMYAVsk

just delete the space

many thankyou
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer

Yeah it was happening to me too but I found out what it was, Chrome is blocking "unsafe scripts" and if I click on the shield at the end of the URL bar it has an option to "load unsafe scripts" and there you go.
He seems like a really cool guy. He seems to be at peace with his past.
Hope he finds people to connect with. I'd buy him a beer.

On-topic, I think atleast having some access to newspapers should be something that should be a right for all prison inmates. Although, maybe ban FOX.
This makes me wonder; do prisons allow inmates to watch the news and read newspaper? I would've thought it's something they are allowed to do.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
the whole point of prison is to educate and reform people so they can be a productive member of society, its not just a long time out for adults, although many people think it should be (and they're all wrong)
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Seems like a pretty asinine question to me; of course they should educate their prisoners. Its just that taxpayers and the government would rather the money went somewhere that benefitted themselves more directly instead.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 26, 2015,
Quote by ehbacon
So this video came out yesterday that made me start thinking -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrH6UMYAVsk

Is it cruel to not educate prison inmates (of whom are scheduled to be let out after decades of being incarcerated) on the development of society? This lack of education can cause major difficulties upon reentry of free life. Should we educate prison inmates on the development of society?

Many prisons systems do offer educational opportunities to inmates.
Its up to the inmates to take advantage of whats being offered.
Quote by CodeMonk
Many prisons systems do offer educational opportunities to inmates.
Its up to the inmates to take advantage of whats being offered.

On societal developments, though? Like do incarcerated inmates have any way of identifying with the outside world once they're out?

I'm not even talking 40+ years of tech/norm development here. Just being thrown out of a rigorous, unkind system and into a cushioned world.
neat video
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do