Hi gang. So I've been playing for a couple of years and I'm kinda bored with my guitars sound now. I've got EMGs in it (my mate told me they're 81 and 85 or something) and am looking to get something better. Using a Schecter C1 hellraiser with 150W line6 spider 2. I play metal, mainly killswitch engage/parkway drive stuff like that.

I did try googling this and found so many different answers. I get that this is probably asked constantly so apologies for being 'that guy'. Any help is appreciated, cheers!
How about swapping your amp first?

What don't you like about your tone?

EMGs through a Peavey 6505+ or Mesa Dual Rec are fantastic.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I agree I despise the spider II , III and IV series. I bought one as my first amp the spider III about 10 or 11 years ago and i blamed my pickups for not giving me the sound i was after and in all reality it was the amp.

there are a lot of good passives you can get such as the following by seymour duncan. i like to mention them because they are easy to come by. Dimarzio maybe the d-activators or X2N but i've never been big on dimarzios. Seems like everyone just gets john petrucci or steve vai pickups i talk to by them so they are about as enticing as slimfast is to a morbidly obese woman to me

black winter
distortion
full shred
JB / 59 , JB / Jazz sets - very balanced
invaders
a dimebucker , i'm not a huge pantera fan but this is a nice pickup
and so forth

but.. active wise what I'd recommend is
Blackouts - they are in my opinion way better than the classic 81/85
blackout metal bridge pickup - it has an adjustable boost
EMG 57 / 66 set
EMG 81x / 85x - the X is an updated circuit that got rid of a lot of the classic emg problems

avoid signature pickups , to get an artists sound takes a lot more, the regular boring 81/85 i wouldnt even put in a walmart guitar to "improve the sound' and i've actually bought guitars that had the right specs i wanted and took the emg pickups out without playing them how much emg 81/85 or 81/60 bored me and knew they didnt meet my needs and i listen to a lot of guys using actives.

try other amps , mess around with the pickup height, picks and string materials (not just gauges or brands) , pure nickle strings for example i really like on my guitars that aren't dark enough for example. If we cough the wrong way with guitar parts they make a big difference.

this is part of a 2 part video to give you some professional comparisons as there is far too many 15 year olds who compare two totally different guitars to "compare" pickups. But I highly recommend a guitar processor made by line 6 to go with the spider, it'll do more than a bit of copper windings and a heavily marketed magnet ever will. I've done more pickups than I can count too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YzI3sd2WA
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Nov 26, 2015,
Thanks for the responses, especially the depth of tallwood's! I know the spider series get a lot of hate, problem is I can't afford the mesas otherwise I'd be all over that. I'd give the height a go but I'm scared I'll break something!
And don't suppose you're able to recommend a processor that would work with the spider?
I'd honestly just sell the Spider and buy something else, like a 6505+ 112.

If you cannot afford that, then it may be the time to get a job.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
New pickups will do little to help you with your current amp. I know, I owned a spider 15 yrs ago
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get an amp with clear clean channel and place OD and distortion pedal in front of Amp and some distortion or effects in send return.. I bought a RandaRandall RX120D head with footswitch for under $90 (it was in excellent condition, owner upgraded to a smaller tube amp head) the speaker cab was a CL find (a little beat up with some torn fabric but speakers were A OK) this beast of a rig cost me less than $150.. Lesson I learned is buy a dolly for the speaker cab and save your back from all the pain.. That sucker weigh a lot.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Peavey 6505+ 112 combos go for under $400 all day on my local CraigsList. Guitar Center used should have plenty in that range too.

Compare that to the $200 you're willing to pay for new pickups - maybe more since it sounds like you will pay someone else to install them as you're nervous to adjust the height.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by psp742
Get an amp with clear clean channel and place OD and distortion pedal in front of Amp and some distortion or effects in send return.. I bought a RandaRandall RX120D head with footswitch for under $90 (it was in excellent condition, owner upgraded to a smaller tube amp head) the speaker cab was a CL find (a little beat up with some torn fabric but speakers were A OK) this beast of a rig cost me less than $150.. Lesson I learned is buy a dolly for the speaker cab and save your back from all the pain.. That sucker weigh a lot.

No, get an amp that has a decent distortion channel

Your Randall is a shitty amp, live with it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate