how come when someone writes a song in 4/4 time no one cares but when someong makes a song in 5/4 time everyone flips their shit! also what are the different time signatures used in Schism by Tool
To answer the first question, 4/4 is by definition common time. Uncommon time signatures are more quickly acknowledged.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
There are 5/4 songs that sound completely natural. It's all about how the rhythm is used. You can use an odd time signature to sound a bit weird or "exotic", or you can write a rhythm that sounds natural but just happens to follow an odd time signature.

Three 5/4 songs that come to my mind that sound natural are Take 5, Mission Impossible and this Finnish folk melody. You just don't pay attention to the time signature when you listen to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNz4zJobg58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWGeRgFa-hI

But the thing is, 4/4 is natural. It sounds even. It's harder to write stuff that doesn't sound weird in an odd time signature.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 27, 2015,
Band leader pulls aside bassist and drummer before gig.

Turns to bassist ... "I want you to play first two bars in 5/4. next three in 11/8, next three bars in 13/8, then settle on 4/4".

Turns to drummer ... "I want you to play 9/8 for the first five bars, and 6/4 for the next three bars, then settle ojn 4/4".

Both respond in horror ... " we can't do that ..."

Band leader ... "Why not? you did last night".
The phone ringing tone is also in 5/4. At least where I live.

Ever since I made that realization, I can't ever listen to the phone ringing and not tap out the 5/4 signature.
Quote by stinkyrossignol
what are the different time signatures used in Schism by Tool

Sounds to me like alternating bars of 5/8 and 7/8.
Quote by triface
The phone ringing tone is also in 5/4. At least where I live.
Yes I get that too!
Quote by jerrykramskoy

Turns to bassist ... "I want you to play first two bars in 5/4. next three in 11/8, next three bars in 13/8, then settle on 4/4".

Turns to drummer ... "I want you to play 9/8 for the first five bars, and 6/4 for the next three bars, then settle ojn 4/4".

Both respond in horror ... " we can't do that ..."

Band leader ... "Why not? you did last night".

lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Because odd time signatures like 5/4 and anything other than 3/4 and 4/4 are more complex, and are hard to harmonically resolve because the ear tends to naturally want to end on the 4. It creates suspense in the music and allows more melodic ideas to flow.
I think it might have something to do with how "some" people want to kind of brag about playing, or even knowing that something is in a different time signature.

I don't play always play in odd time signatures, but when I do, I'll tell you about it.
lol that should be one of those memes with the Dos EQuiz beer guy.

p.s. I really do that because I don't play in them that much haha
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."-Abraham Lincoln
I did it...
Attachments:
first meme.jpg
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."-Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by Saintp83 at Dec 3, 2015,
Rhythms are either divided in 2 or 3. And because 5/4 is 2+3 or 3+2, it sounds uneven. It's "longer beat" + "shorter beat" or the other way around. But time signatures like 6/8 sound a lot more even - all (emphasized) beats are equal in length. You don't have the alteration between 2 and 3.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by jerrykramskoy

I wonder if that was the conversation Roger Waters had w/ David Gilmore and Jeff Picaro when they were recording 'Mother'?