Hello. I have a question about pickups in squier standard strat vs fender mexico strat. Are this pickups the same or are the mexico obes better? Thanx
i don't have an answer for the pickups, but MIM's are all around are much better than the squiers. you can find used MIM strats for $250 all day everyday.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
MIM pickups are better, not by a large margin, but the MIM guitar as a whole is much better than the Squier Standard.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i know that MIM is better as a whole. my quiestion is only about pickups because i have an option to replace them in my squier for MIM pickups.
Quote by kitarmen
i know that MIM is better as a whole. my quiestion is only about pickups because i have an option to replace them in my squier for MIM pickups.

What are you paying for the pickups? I wouldn't pay more than $20 for all 3.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What are you paying for the pickups? I wouldn't pay more than $20 for all 3.

+3.1415
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Robbgnarly
MIM pickups are better, not by a large margin, but the MIM guitar as a whole is much better than the Squier Standard.

The neck and fretboard on my squire standard are about as perfect as any guitar can be, got lucky I guess...stays in tune too! Don't know about the pick-ups, mine were replaced with artecs which are pretty good.
Squier std has alnico better for clean
Mim ceramic better for overdrive.
SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shield your cavities with aluminum w/ground
Low your pickups level
Get a steel block if possible
BOOM you have a USA sound (very close).
The bridge is weak so just replace that one or adjust your
Amp volume a bit. That's it.
Other squires have a cheap magnet and can not
Do the trick
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't have an answer for the pickups, but MIM's are all around are much better than the squiers. you can find used MIM strats for $250 all day everyday.

I beg to differ. MiM standards have mostly disappointed me whereas many Squiers, avoid affinity and bullet series, have been pleasant surprises!
Quote by Dralf78520
Low your pickups level
Do the trick

No, you wouldn't have an American. you would have a modded Squier that you dumped money into. There are so many differences that you are not accounting for.

I am not sure of your experience on this Drlath.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
No, you wouldn't have an American. you would have a modded Squier that you dumped money into. There are so many differences that you are not accounting for.

I am not sure of your experience on this Drlath.

yeah sorry while you may have a good sounding guitar it won't be near the same quality of a US made strat. the pickups, hardware and electronics are all superior. the wood and finish are better as welll. this is not to say that your squier isn't a good playing and sounding guitar. i know that many want to think that just by doing a few mods that their once cheap guitar is suddenly a total match for a much higher end guitar. now i have a modded MIM that became my #1 over my US made Strat Plus Deluxe but that's more about general feel than quality. i bought it with the mods done already and someone spent a fair amount to do it. ( steel trem block, graphtec saddles, LSR roller nut, not sure what pickups are in it never took it apart, sperzel locking tuners). there comes a point whee just buying the better guitar makes more sense from a finacial standpoint.
Quote by Dralf78520
Low your pickups level
Do the trick

Have you ever actually tried a USA fender?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by hotrodney71
The neck and fretboard on my squire standard are about as perfect as any guitar can be

How did you achieve that?
Quote by SpiderM
How did you achieve that?

I'm just thinking is of very limited experience.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Dralf78520
Low your pickups level
Do the trick

This is your first post and that brings me great sadness.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
This is your first post and that brings me great sadness.

haha, the '15ers are great, aren't they?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Dralf78520
Low your pickups level
Do the trick

You know, I was once in that same boat, but then I tried (and now own) a USA Fender. Just save up for a decent guitar.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95
You know, I was once in that same boat, but then I tried (and now own) a USA Fender. Just save up for a decent guitar.

+1 as i stated up a few posts.

he probably hasn't ever played one. ignorance is bliss
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Not to dump on the other guy, but that is 100% true.

That being said I totally feel what the other guy was saying. It's understandable to have pride in one's git if he put love/effort into it. I love my cheapo Epiphone far more than my MIM Strat, and most the guys here think the Epi is a piece of crap (Epiphone LP Special II). That lends more proof to your assertion though, trashed, because I have little experience with electrics.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I know some people might not have the extra money to spend and might have to do a pickup swap in a cheaper guitar. But, if you buy a $400-500 guitar and drop an extra $400 into upgrading it, it would've been a lot more efficient in just saving he money and buying a $900 guitar. That's just me, though.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95

Problem is, that´s not what the thead is about.
Save up and buy a MIM Strat first if you're really going to commit to playing it. A Squire is good for beginners but isn't the best choice for a longer term investment. American standards are probably out of your price range. So compromise
Quote by TobusRex
Not to dump on the other guy, but that is 100% true.

That being said I totally feel what the other guy was saying. It's understandable to have pride in one's git if he put love/effort into it. I love my cheapo Epiphone far more than my MIM Strat, and most the guys here think the Epi is a piece of crap (Epiphone LP Special II). That lends more proof to your assertion though, trashed, because I have little experience with electrics.

big difference between loving a cheapie guitar and saying oh my LP Special II is just as great as a Gibson LP Standard. many cheapies play just fine and don't sound half bad thru a decent amp. i have a Vintage SG copy that i love but i wouldn't say it was as good as an actual gibson SG or better even with a couple of mods. the guitar plays well and sounds decent but i can't kid myself or others that it's as good quality wis.
Quote by monwobobbo
big difference between loving a cheapie guitar and saying oh my LP Special II is just as great as a Gibson LP Standard. many cheapies play just fine and don't sound half bad thru a decent amp. i have a Vintage SG copy that i love but i wouldn't say it was as good as an actual gibson SG or better even with a couple of mods. the guitar plays well and sounds decent but i can't kid myself or others that it's as good quality wis.

True enough, I agree.

Something else to consider. I am constantly hearing bad stories about Gibson's QC and buyers complaining about the shoddy work (and luthiers complaining as well). Great guitars.....if you don't mind spending hundreds to fix them up. Sounds pretty similar to the OP and his Squier doesn't it?
Last edited by TobusRex at Dec 3, 2015,
Quote by TobusRex
True enough, I agree.

Something else to consider. I am constantly hearing bad stories about Gibson's QC and buyers complaining about the shoddy work (and luthiers complaining as well). Great guitars.....if you don't mind spending hundreds to fix them up. Sounds pretty similar to the OP and his Squier doesn't it?

well the internet is often full of bad and says little good. . often the bitches about gibson are for very minor things but they seem like a bigger deal due to the cost of the guitar. i've played plenty of recent gibby's that were just fine and only come across 1 or 2 in the last couple of years that were kinda iffy
Quote by monwobobbo

Cheap guitars can be fun. Many moons ago I bought a used Danelectro single pickup from a friend. It was a lot of fun to play, but it defnminely couldn't be compared to any high-end guitar.
Dave Bowers

Instruments
Martin D-28
Martin/Sigma DR12-7
Martin Dreadnought Junior
Washburn EA25SNB
Epiphone F-112 Bard
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Quote by davebowers
Cheap guitars can be fun. Many moons ago I bought a used Danelectro single pickup from a friend. It was a lot of fun to play, but it defnminely couldn't be compared to any high-end guitar.

not saying that a cheapie can't be fun or even be a decent guitar. my collection isn't all high end at all . having fun and having a playable cheapie is fine just don't try to kid yourself that your $100 axe is just as good as that $4000 axe.