Poll: Ernie Ball Cobalt or Ernie Ball M-Steel Strings?
Poll Options
View poll results: Ernie Ball Cobalt or Ernie Ball M-Steel Strings?
Ernie Ball Cobalt
1 100%
Ernie Ball M-Steel
0 0%
Voters: 1.
I know that the M-Steel are supposed to be the better quality string since it uses a military grade 'Maraging' steel hex core wire a higher quality cobalt coiling, but I have the feeling although more durable the tone might not last as long since the strings would absorb oils and the steel core could rust, or because the cobalt might wear faster due to the hex core wire?
If your worried about the tone of the strings lasting get Cleartone strings or Elixir.

Personally I have tried most string types and I keep going back to regular Ernie Ball or D'Addario strings after 20+ years.

I even get the cheap Musicians Friend strings sometimes to put on guitars I don't play all the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you sweat a lot, I would strongly advice you to have a clean dry cloth and wipe the strings after each play, it may help in extending their life. As for string brand, I have tried Fender, Dunlop, D addario, EB on guitar (bass is a different story altogether), I like EB and D Addario brand (not saying that the other brands aren't good just personal preference). As you probably know most guitars have silver nickle frets, which are hard.. but if you're heavy handed and press harder on the strings unto the frets and do a lot of bends; the frets will get worn out faster or develop pits and grooves. I bought M-Steel and NYXL because of the hype that they are better but might not use them, strings are way cheaper than re-crown, polishing or re-fret job. I have regular slinky and cobalt which I use. It all depends how you play, your playing style and how you maintain your guitar.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Nov 27, 2015,
I choose Elixir
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
I know that the M-Steel are supposed to be the better quality string since it uses a military grade 'Maraging' steel hex core wire a higher quality cobalt coiling, but I have the feeling although more durable the tone might not last as long since the strings would absorb oils and the steel core could rust, or because the cobalt might wear faster due to the hex core wire?

No idea. It's just not something that I ever worry about. I usually figure that decent strings last a max of about two weeks, and after that I'm just living on borrowed time. Your string mileleage may vary.

Elixirs are coated, so they're a different animal.

The rest is mostly marketing bullet point fodder designed to help you move up a buck or two per set.
I currently have the M-Steels on my electric. Despite all the marketing hype they are in fact very bright sounding strings. A little too bright for my tastes, and the treble strings feel kinda weird. Other than that you'll just have to try them yourself. I'm running through a bunch of different brands.

My next set is gonna be D'Addario NYXL's

I did like the set of Cleartones I had on my guitar 2 months ago. A LOT.