Hello everyone. This might be a long thread with a lot of questions so please bear with me lol I don't have much money and want to make sure I make the best purchasing choices.
And I did make a somewhat similar thread to this awhile back but this is a more in depth version.

I have a crappy amp and also use fl studio to make some edm music. I would like to plug my guitar into my computer and play through FL. The music I want to write requires a lot of effects and I don't have the kind of money for all those pedals. I have been doing some research and many people say that you should get an audio interface such as this
Focusrite Scarlett Solo | Guitar Center

I see other places selling just basic usb cable converters that connect your guitar into your computer. I want to eventually take my guitar into a studio and record an album that I have been working on so I don't know if a $100 audio interface is worth it.

Should I invest money in a good audio interface for playing through my computer?

FL comes with many effects. Can I assign these effects to my guitar and have them work in real time? For example, can I assign my guitar a delay and reverb effect and have it active while I am playing rather than just apply it to a recording?

I want my album to have a professional mix to it and here's what I am planning on doing: Purchase the audio interface/usb. I will use FL studio to make backing pads (lots of ambient work here) and sample drum patterns. I will get all my guitar parts down and then go into a studio to record.

I will record vocals and guitar in studio (I will just bring my laptop and plug into their sound system or just save my FL on a flash drive and bring that in and connect to their computer) and my friend will play drums.

Since I will be playing through a computer would I need to buy high end speakers? I am planning on buying decent ones for at home practicing but could I just hook up to the ones at the recording studio when I go to record or would i need to bring my computer with the speakers and record like that?

I actually only have the demo for FL studio now. This might be a dumb question but are you legally allowed to release music on the demo version? Would I need to purchase it and credit it in my album?

I might record some guitar and vocal parts at home if I can. Should you bring already recorded parts to a studio to save time?

Sorry if this thread was a little unorganized I am on break at work. I would really appreciate the help, thanks!
i'm going to suggest a diffeent approach. doing it all through your computer can work depending onthe quality of the computer and the programs you use. most regular desk top or lap top computers aren't really optimised for high qualty sound recordings. you can get some great recording programs but they aren't cheap.

i''d consider getting a stand alone digital multi-track recorder which will allow you to record at home and give you some fairly professional sounding results. i use a Zoom 8-track for recording and have gotten some pretty good results. takes some practice to get everything right but after you get the hang of it it works well. for the guitar itself something like a Line 6 POD (i'd recommend this evenif you go with using your computer). it has plenty of decent amp models and fx that are designed specifically for guitar.

check the link in my profile for some of the stuff i've recorded.
FL is kinda quirky for audio production but if you know to work it, it is okay. You can use all of its plugins to your advantage, on whatever audio you desire, so if that is guitar, vocals, etc.
Its synths and plugins are actually very good, I just couldn't stand the interface as it was more loop/dance/techno oriented, but people get good results with it so I wouldn't throw it under the bus.

You can get some kind of audio interface or even just audio cable and work off of that, audio interface preferably. Now there are some Behringer 2 input interfaces going under $100 even that are OK.

If you are not recording vocals you can also get a guitar processor and dial in all your guitar effects there and use its USB interface to record to the PC.

Look up Boss, Vox, Line6, Zoom...plenty of options. That way you won't fiddle with tons of fx on the PC but just record what you want directly into it.
Is it almost a requirement for me to buy a nice sound card though? I am going to get an audio interface and some decent speakers but thought that when I go to the studio to record, i could hook my laptop to their speakers or sound system and it would be much better.
I am totally new to this stuff so sorry if this is a dumb question lol i don't want to purchase a bunch of things and find out it doesn't work. The whole point of me trying to play digital is that i can run an "infinite" amount of free effects through my guitar where buying $200 for a pedal is cheap.
Quote by Androxine Vorte
Is it almost a requirement for me to buy a nice sound card though? I am going to get an audio interface and some decent speakers but thought that when I go to the studio to record, i could hook my laptop to their speakers or sound system and it would be much better.
I am totally new to this stuff so sorry if this is a dumb question lol i don't want to purchase a bunch of things and find out it doesn't work. The whole point of me trying to play digital is that i can run an "infinite" amount of free effects through my guitar where buying $200 for a pedal is cheap.

your recordings will only be as good as equipment allows. if you want to do sound on a computer than having a good sound card would be a good idea. free fx aren't going to be very high quality that's why its free. you don't have to spend a fortune but there isn't much point of cheaping out and then spending the money to go to a real studio to finish up.

what exactly are your goals in terms of recording? as for pedals well a good multi-fx unit might be a better way to go. keep in mind that while they to are digital all your processing power is going to the fx or models you use. your lap top will have othe things going on that eats up processing power. if you are trying to do anything remotely professional sounding then you need to really think this through.
I've been using a Line 6 UX1 at home for the past few years. This comes with Pod Farm free amp modelling and effects software. You can pick these up (used) on Ebay for about £50.00. It's great for jamming/recording with more effects that you'll need and much quicker and easier than cranking up my amp in the house.

I also used to use just a couple of PC speakers with that and it was absolutely fine but then later upgraded to some monitors. If you can afford a couple of half decent monitors that then would help but it's not essential. I've recorded tracks fine using PC speakers.

You can also download reaper to use for recording. It isn't free but you can use it for as long as you like before deciding if you'd like to purchase or not. I think there are other similar packages online that are freeware though if you search.

I hope this helps.