I have taught guitar in the past, and I am looking at starting up again. I currently reside in a little ghost town so I was considering doing online lessons via skype. Have any of you had any luck with this? What was your main advertising technique? I was thinking of making a video advert with about 30 seconds of me playing tons of different clips of music in different styles showcasing what I can do. And ending it with something like "I can teach you to do this, email me, etc.". What do you think of this? My other option is to move back to my old town and rent a little building to use as a studio. Which of these options would you see being the most profitable. And for just the guitar guys who don't teach, would you ever consider taking lessons online?
teaching in person will get you more clients.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jedke
Which of these options would you see being the most profitable. And for just the guitar guys who don't teach, would you ever consider taking lessons online?

Teaching face-to-face is always better, but you do have to be where the students are.

Lessons via Skype are out there, but what comes first for those folks are a bunch of fairly slick YouTube vids and a published book or two (doesn't need to be print) that establish your reputation. Contact a guy named David Fagan (aka The Icon Builder) and work with him on establishing yourself as an expert on guitar teaching. At some point you can begin taking "exclusive" students via Skype at a much higher rate than you'd expect.
In person is the way to go. I tried doing a few lessons through Skype but it wasn't the same. I found that in person I'm able to deliver a far better lesson and the students are more engaged in the lessons.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
You have to consider this also; why would people want a Skype lesson with you instead of the possibly hundred others that are offering this? What is your selling point? Once you go to Skype and such, people won't come to you because you're local like they might if you do face-to-face lessons. Potentially reaching more people by going online doesn't mean you'll actually reach more people, is what I'm trying to say.