A bit more than a year ago, I had to sell a like-new Vintage '59 Strat I'd bought for $1700+. The best I could get for it on Ebay was a bit over $1000. It made me sick.

Money is better now, and I've been thinking I'd like to have that guitar again, so I started looking on Ebay. Well, prices are pretty much $1800 to $2200.

Have the prices gone up, or is this just another case of me having to sell too low, and everyone else holding out for prices that are too high?
you sold a '59 Stratocaster for $1000?

:
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
The price of all Fenders went up drastically this year, that's probably influencing the re-sale prices right now.
used guitar sales are rough around the holidays. i always found it to be the worst time to sell.

but yeah, new prices rising is probably affecting the used market a bit.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Sounds like a tough situation, but maybe a good opportunity to try something new? The Ibanez roadstar is the highest quality strat-type guitar I've ever come across, they are easily the guitar world's best kept secret. Half the price of the American strat, and superior build quality. Michael J Fox even played one in "Back To The Future" Check this one out!(removed)
Quote by gregs1020
used guitar sales are rough around the holidays. i always found it to be the worst time to sell.

but yeah, new prices rising is probably affecting the used market a bit.

The immediate market is full of lower end gear that just got traded in, super saturated. A guitar center employee on another forum said they get months worth of trade-ins over the course of a weeks during the holidays.

People do one of 2 things.

• Trade up to buy a gift.
  • After a gift is received, they'll trade in older gear.

It's why there are huge sales, 24/36 month financing around the holidays. Clearance out last years models. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't have room in the stores to keep the gear.

My Guitar Center had been almost completely picked over when I went after Christmas. It was crazy.

There was definitely no Vintage RI Strats there. For a nice guitar like the one you want, demand is high, supply is low, a bunch of them were just gifted for Christmas.