Okay, I was going into this with a dreamy "I'm gonna be open to everything." And, as beneficial as that could be, I think I finally hit a revelation point with my direction. Still bouncing some ideas off people. Anyway, I'm definitely looking at something on the harder edge of music. I've played around with the Vox VT40. Nice amp, lots of options, but when it came to metal-ly things, didn't have the sound I was looking for. And I've played around with a few other options as well. Last time I went to Guitar Center, I sat down with a Line 6 Spider 15W, and I loved the controls and the sound. I'd like something a little higher power, so I'm looking at either a used 112 or Spider II/III 75W.

Both can be had under $100 used, and while I'd love to spend all the money I can, the fact is, the cheaper it is will be an easier sell to the wife. (And, maybe, I can sweet talk my way into a Schecter Omen.)

Right, now, either the 112 or Spider II/III 75W is plenty, however, since I'm still new at this, and considering my aim, would there be something else to consider? I almost bought a 112, but then, I'm trying to convey that I'm a responsible adult.

Thanks for bearing with me, UG.
The Spider has a bad reputation and to be honest there is some validity to it. I currently have a Spider IV 75 watt and it's pretty good for the higher gain stuff. If you like the tones you got out of the Spider amps you have tried, trust your ears. I would recommend picking up a used Spider IV rather than one of the older models. Line 6's modelling has improved by quite a bit over the years.

I have had a Fender Super Champ X2, Fender Mustang 1 v2 and a Vox VT120+ before I traded them and to be honest my Spider IV holds its own.

My biggest criticism of the Spider amps is you really need to buy the footswitch to unlock the real power of the amp.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
I had picked up on some disdain for Spider, but I never knew exactly why, so what happened?
It's a mediocre amp and you could spend your money better.

Personally, if you just want a practice amp, I guess the smaller Spiders are alright. They tend to get super shrill and harsh on the high end when you turn the volume up and the low end starts falling apart and getting flubby, and if you're looking for any decent tones aside from "tons of gain metal" you won't find one. I've owned the II & III (as well as a Spider Valve) and IMO they're not the first amps I would recommend.

That being said, you said you like the amp so if you like it and it's working for you then that's probably the right choice. I would highly recommend you try a Vypyr out first before you commit to anything though. The Vypyr can do the higher gain tones AND their lower gain emulations aren't totally junk like they are on a Spider.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by bjgrifter
I had picked up on some disdain for Spider, but I never knew exactly why, so what happened?

Because it sounds like a box of angry bees, and there are better amps for the money.

The effects are fun to play around with, and the clean tones are no where near as offensive as the overdriven ones, but there is literally no reason to go with the Spider over the aforementioned Vypyr.

Unless, of course, you think the Spider sounds better, in which case go for it.
People get tired of the Spider pretty quickly, because outside of tons of gain, it doesn't offer a whole lot. Note definition is poor for one thing, which is pretty bad when playing metal, even if you generally like the tone.
I'd recommend the 30w (12" speaker) over the 15w (8"), because the low-end is definitely better. The even more powerful versions aren't worth it though imo.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

That being said, you said you like the amp so if you like it and it's working for you then that's probably the right choice. I would highly recommend you try a Vypyr out first before you commit to anything though. The Vypyr can do the higher gain tones AND their lower gain emulations aren't totally junk like they are on a Spider.

Basically this.
Any time I hear particularly bad tone at a gig it is invariably either a Spider or an MG.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, from what I see in the UG review the Vypyr 30 looks really attractive, so unless the VIP 40 can be had for a really, really good price, the 30 might be my ticket when I get paid next week. The more I read about it, the more it looks like the amp for me in that price range. If the day comes I require something vastly different, I'll cross that bridge then.