Forgive if this is a stupid question, but i'm loss of ideas.

I got my distortion tone down so i'm satisfied with it. But when i'm not playing anything (for example waiting for he guitar parts to start), i get this high pitched noise out of my speakers. When i'm playing it's not there, my sound is loud and clear, just when i'm not doing anything (i can always put the sound knob to 0, but of course id like to fix the problem).

I've changed the cables, it does the same with all my guitars on that particular tone. Lowering dist fixes it, but then my sound is "wrong". I got nothing fancy effects in there. (cant remember the exact settings atm).

Is my only option just to live with it? Is our training space somehow too small and it starts to circulate?
Hiss caused by turning up the gain on an amp is not the same as feedback.

A general answer would be to try a noise gate, but that isn't going to remove all fizz from all rigs.

What amp is it, because some amps are naturally noisier than others, and are literally always used with a noise gate.
You can use Rocktron noise gate as a filter in the fx loop if you get too much hiss. If we are talking squeal you need a noise gate up front or lower the gain. For the front I'd suggest MXR Smart Gate, Boss noise gate or ISP Decimator.
Noise gates can downgrade your tone and give you more headaches.
I say if it's normal feedback best to live with it. I have it when am rehearsing with my band but at home it's fine, must be the volume. Also remember when you turn the volume up turn the gain down.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
is your guitar properly shielded? change power outlet or get a power strip with IR protection.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
is it a high-pitched squeal? if so, it could be microphonic pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
High-pitched squeal yes. Stops the second when starting to play, so it's not feedback (i guess?).

I keep my volume about 6 o'clock on master and channel, i get just over the drums that way and my sound stays good. About the guitar shielding, i don't know. Never done that/don't have any idea on that. Have to ask someone who repairs/builds to show me about it.

Amp is Bugera 333XL infimiun, tubes are pretty fresh, cab is Harley Benton's vintage with the celestion speakers 2x12. I'm using Zoom's GU2 as multi-effect atm. Student now, so not much money to start buying pedals.

Edit: Active pickups.
Last edited by esa.lackstrom at Nov 29, 2015,
Well look up Zoom's manual, you'd probably have noise gate on that, experiment with it in front of the amp.

What you have (I think) is squeal due to the fact that you're cranking your gain too high. I've seen some musicians control it with the volume knob or volume floor pedal, or in some cases when more than one source provides gain, some people click their overdrive or distortion pedals on and off.

You can hear it here (before the first note) and it did work good for these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWC4OoVQFI&index=2&list=RDF_dQwbsP7Sg
It could be a microphonic tube. Tap each tube gently with a pencil and see if anything comes out of the speakers. If it does, replace that tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ yeah if it happens on all your pickups it might be more likely to be a tube which is microphonic.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In small spaces this can happen with a lot of distortion. Use the volume knob of your guitar until it is time to play.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
In small spaces this can happen with a lot of distortion. Use the volume knob of your guitar until it is time to play.

I can handle it like that yes, it just sound pretty bad when for example, we have a song where in the second verse, guitar plays every other bar. Then there's this high squeal, no matter how quick i try to turn the volume up and start playing.

I have to check the tubes as well. Noise gate is on in Zoom, it don't remove the squeal sadly. I have to find another tone with less gain then i guess It's just so sweet atm.
Noise gate, plain and simple. MXR do a great one, but most brands have versions out there. If you have a lot of pedals in your chain, maybe consider a buffer. Also, a great power supply such as a Voodoo labs or a T-Rex will get rid of a lot of noise issues very quickly.
Also conaider the possibility that your pickups are getting interference. Set up your rig in a room without other electronic. Computers, routers, fluorescent lights, etc can all give you interference, especially if you're using single coil pickups.
Can you walk us through your signal route?

Are you going guitar->Zoom->Amp?

If so, what are you getting from the Zoom patch, and the order, say compressor, wah, distortion, eq...

Then what you're dialing the amp to on the channel?

What about the amp by itself without the Zoom?

You might want to play around with putting the Zoom in the fx return, so nothing connected anywhere just guitar->Zoom->Fx return of amp, bypassing the amp's preamp channel if you're getting distortion from the Zoom.

Or put in the loop and just try a noise gate patch to see if it fixes things. So guitar - amp -fx send to Zoom with noise gate patch on - fx return from Zoom to amp.
If the noise does not change as you move your guitar to different locations on the stage and hold the guitar at different angles then it is coming from the amplifier itself, and as already mentioned it sounds like tube feedback or microphonics (I would need to hear it before I could be sure to say that, however).

For that, lowering the volume on the guitar would also make no difference. In that case, a noise gate would not help.
Last edited by Blademaster2 at Dec 3, 2015,