Although it's been a while since I lasted posted an NGD-thread, I picked up this Ibanez today and figured I might as well share (especially as there is very little information available in terms of user reviews).

So, what do we have here?

The imaginatively titled RGIF8 is a fanned fret eight string, part of Ibanez' Iron Label line. As far as I'm aware they are the only Ibanez production models with fanned frets (apart from the RGIF7). They're pretty new, too: the prototype was shown at NAMM at the beginning of this year.

Of course there are those who ask: why would you want a low F#? What purpose could it possibly serve? To those people I way: stop asking such reasonable questions. Six strings are nice and more is always better. Always.

For those who aren't familiar with fanned frets, the concept is pretty simple. For bass strings, ideally you'd want a long scale length. Unfortunately, a long scale length works less well for the treble strings. The fanned frets are a compromise between the two: the scale length for the low F# is 27,2" (so it's not flabby) and the scale length for the high e is 25,5" (so it's not too tight).

For some reason, apart from "RGIF8" mine also has a "1P-01" designation on the headstock, which I haven't seen on any other RGIF8's online. Oh well, who cares - on with the review.

1. Specs

Body - Ash
Pickups - EMG 909X (bridge and necks)
Electronics - three way pickup selector, volume and tone
Neck - five piece Wizard-8 (maple/bubinga)
Frets - 24 fanned frets
Scale length - 25.5"/27.2"

2. Playability

Playability is surprisingly good. I don't really have any experience with eight strings (although I do have two seven's), but it's really not too bad. It takes some getting used to, but after a few minutes I was used to the extra strings (of course actually fully incorporating those strings into my playing will take a lot longer). The neck isn't too wide, either. Unlike - for example - the Ibanez 9 string I tried a few months ago. You could land a small aircraft on that thing.

The fanned frets are a nice touch, too. I know some people were worried about the twelfth fret being the 'parallel fret' (as opposed to the more common position somewhere around 7 - 9), but it plays great.

3. Sound
I've tried it through a Laney and my own Bogner and it sounds, well, very good actually. This is pretty essential: good luck finding a set of soapbar-shaped nine-string replacement pickups.

The EMG 909X' are a bit of a 'boring-but-safe' choice for pickups, but they have plenty of definition/clarity and work for clean sounds as well. I'm planning on recording some clips in the near future.

In summary, it's surprisingly versatile. It's happiest either with full-on distortion or 'super clean', but the in between sounds are nice, too.

4. Build Quality
Until today I had never tried any of the Iron Label guitars from Ibanez, but if this one is representative of the build quality for the rest of the line: I'm impressed.

It's pretty much flawless, so not much to fault to be honest.

5. Does it djent?
Yes. Yes, it does.

6. More pics!
And now for some more pics. As I mentioned in the introduction, I haven't posted an NGD in a while, so I've included a group shot with all the newbies since the last one.

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 28, 2015,
Duuuuude nice score.

Nice to know it dents.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Duuuuude nice score.

Nice to know it dents.

Ah; fixed

I bet it dents, too, but not necessarily what i meant
I figured as much

I dig your Midtown Custom BTW
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Very pretty! HNGD
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I figured as much

I dig your Midtown Custom BTW

Not to steer this thread of topic too much, but those Midtown Customs are really nice; great value for money.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Very pretty! HNGD

Thanks!
Nice score there. I have been curious about how those fanned fret guitars play. Although I have no fascination with 8 strings I have a bass don't need my guitar to cover those frequencies. Is that a Music Man Steve Morse model in the family pic pretty sweet.
I'm curious: the difficulty of barre chords on fanned fret guitars?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought

This is why most multi-scale guitars have the horizontal fret around the 7th or 8th fret; to facilitate chording while preserving the usability of the higher end for leads. I'm not sure why Ibanez used the 12th fret as the horizontal fret; it's difficult to find another guitar that will do the same, and there are good reasons for that.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Not to steer this thread of topic too much, but those Midtown Customs are really nice; great value for money.

I disagree, but as we all know, your mileage may vary.
sweet

Is that one of the C2 caparisons? What's it like?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
holy crap that's cool.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Dreadnought

I find your 'run of the mill' barre chords are pretty much the same as on a normal electric. Again, the fact that it has eight strings is more confusing than the fanned frets. If you plan on doing full eight string barre chords around positions 1 -5, this may be somewhat tricky (although I don't think it'd be too easy on any eight string, for that matter).

As for the discussion on the optimal position for the parallel fret, please note that - for example - the Blackmachine F8 (which has the parallel fret around 5) also has a much more dramatic fan (25,5" - 28"). If you look at a guitar like the Conklin Sidewinder (which has a more comparable fan to the RGIF8), it also has its parallel fret at around 12.

Besides, all I can say for sure is that this fan works for me

Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet

Is that one of the C2 caparisons? What's it like?

Thanks and yes it is. Great guitar. Fit and finish are actually very good (although in fairness the Apple Horn plays a bit nicer, but just a bit). I prefer the DiMarzio's in the C2 (and its normal three-way switching) over the stock electronics of the Apple Horn.

I didn't really know about the C2 series until I tried this one and liked it so much I took it home.

Quote by gregs1020
holy crap that's cool.

Thanks!
^ Thanks. I'd heard about the C2s for a while, but I had no idea how good they were. I'm always a bit wary when anyone brings out a cheaper range. But there are some decent prices at the moment.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Very nice indeed, Ive been looking at the RG2228 didn't realise this was on the market -interestingly the 7-string version has the 8-string headstock
Bonsaischaap hey just check my rgif8 after reading your post and mine also has the P1-O1 on the headstock. Did you every find out why that is?
Sweet score! You have a heckuva rig.

Good thing I'm not a kleptomaniac. I'm coveting that Suhr and Caparison pretty hard.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
This thread is over a year old
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The Ibby is cool, but that Steve Morse is sex. Love the look of those.

HNGD, and great collection!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
This thread is over a year old

to be fair, it was a pretty specific question which was addressed specifically to the threadstarter- it's not one of those random bumps done by mistake. i know i'm not a mod and it's their call, but IMO it's probably ok. Though a personal message might get to Bonsaischaap quicker, if he has email alerts set up for them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 1, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
to be fair, it was a pretty specific question which was addressed specifically to the threadstarter- it's not one of those random bumps done by mistake. i know i'm not a mod and it's their call, but IMO it's probably ok. Though a personal message might get to Bonsaischaap quicker, if he has email alerts set up for them.

I havent seen him in a while so I assume making a new thread would be better but fair dos.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
yeah me neither
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?