If you can't tell I'm kind of a noob to all this so bear with me. I have the opportunity to get either a new amp or a new guitar this Christmas but I can't decide on which one to get. The amp I'm looking at getting is a Peavy Classic 30. From all the videos, sound test, and reviews I've seen it sounds like a pretty good amp and its not really expensive. I currently have a Fender Frontman 25R as my amp. Its pretty good for a SS amp but the speaker is just crap. I can't play to loudley because it sounds like the speaker will blow. I've looked all over the internet and people have replaced the stock speaker with higher quality speakers and they said it totally transformed the amp. So I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the stock speaker or just getting a new amp. The guitar I'm looking at is a Fender deluxe Lonestar Strat. It's a MIM strat with a humbucker in the bridge position and an S-1 switch, so its pretty versatile. It would defiantly be an upgrade from my Harmony H80 strat copy. Its just boring to play, the neck is so uncomfortable, and the tone knobs don't work. So I'm wondering if I should spend my money on the amp or the guitar. People have said to get the amp before the guitar because a crap guitar through a good amp sounds good while a good guitar through a crap amp sounds bad.
The Classic 30 is an awesome amp for sure. Pretty versatile with enough range in gain to make everyone from blues to hard rock players pretty happy. I want one.

That said, your guitar sounds pretty cheap, and if it's the quality-level I'm thinking of, you may have outgrown it. Your guitar needs to at least FEEL good to play and not hold you back as far as that goes. Once you've got a guitar that doesn't hinder your playing and has the basic tone you're after, then the law of diminishing returns applies.

Normally, I'd say a mediocre guitar through a nice amp will still sound good. The amp is definitely the most important part of the equation as far as tone goes. But I have played some terrible guitars through my rig, and it definitely sounded terrible.

My advice would be to go play that Lonestar Strat through an entry level amp or equivalent to your amp, and if it's a night and day difference in play-ability and tone, then that's what I'd upgrade first. However, you and I both know that the only real answer to your dilemma is to buy BOTH.
+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go with what is going to make you want to play more. In this situation it sound like the guitar is a better choice to do that knowing that your current guitar is uncomfortable. In the meantime, you could then try to save up a few bucks to do that speaker swap if you find it may be worth it. Your choice of amp is a good one, for what it's worth.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by KailM
The Classic 30 is an awesome amp for sure. Pretty versatile with enough range in gain to make everyone from blues to hard rock players pretty happy. I want one.

That said, your guitar sounds pretty cheap, and if it's the quality-level I'm thinking of, you may have outgrown it. Your guitar needs to at least FEEL good to play and not hold you back as far as that goes. Once you've got a guitar that doesn't hinder your playing and has the basic tone you're after, then the law of diminishing returns applies.

Normally, I'd say a mediocre guitar through a nice amp will still sound good. The amp is definitely the most important part of the equation as far as tone goes. But I have played some terrible guitars through my rig, and it definitely sounded terrible.

My advice would be to go play that Lonestar Strat through an entry level amp or equivalent to your amp, and if it's a night and day difference in play-ability and tone, then that's what I'd upgrade first. However, you and I both know that the only real answer to your dilemma is to buy BOTH.

My dad found the guitar in a garbage can when I was 6 so I guess someone threw it away for a reason. To be honest the guitar sounds pretty decent through my amp its just the playability of it. I can always replace the tone pots for cheap, not sure what I can do about the neck though. I'm leaning towards the amp now. I can always get the guitar early next summer, but I'll defiantly go play the strat with my amp first.
Hard call depending on how bad the guitar really is. I gigged for several years with an early Classic 30, good warmish tone, robust and accepted pedals well. I would certainly buy another if I wanted that tweed style of amp. OTOH, my favourite electric guitar cost Oz$60 from the local hock shop, no work/mods needed except a basic set up, so I'm not going to pass judgement of yours. After some instant research, I think it might be a decent guitar after a bit of TLC, but you would need expert hands-on advice for that. I would take it to my local mom and pop store, get the tech to look it over and plug it into a Classic 30, if any of this is feasible.
If playability is an issue, get the guitar and an amp later.

Your amp has OK cleans but horrible distortion for hi-gain, maybe look at a used POD XT ($65) and then you'll have a decent base sound and a large variety
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ It might just need a set up.

If your not familiar with Harmony guitars, they make the Squier starter packs look amazing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If your not familiar with Harmony guitars, they make the Squier starter packs look amazing

Can't argue with that Still, from what I just read about them, '80s Japanese plywood has it's own peculiar appeal, it that's what it is.

But for the sake of disclosure, I'l admit that the lumps of wood have never interested me much anyway, whereas I'm very fond of the (old) Classic 30.
Last edited by Tony Done at Nov 28, 2015,
I'd lean towards the amp, there are a lot of decent inexpensive guitars out there that you can pick up later.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin