anyone know anything about these? I'm looking at the Douglas WVEB-833 specifically, but they had other violin/hofner copies. But like, how do they sound, how do they play, and do they have any problems? I could only find a few videos on youtube, but not many reviews anywhere and want to know if it'd be worth buying ??

I play lefty, so it's kinda hard to find things used :/ I got a jazzmaster copy from rondomusic about a year ago, which I really dig, but I'm still a little hesitant about it. Thanks for any help
lots of guys on talkbass.com like it.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thanks, just read it. I still wanna see what more people think about it before I decide to buy it.
I've never owned one, but been playing for 30 years. Here's my impressions. The bridge is floating - not secured. That and the fact that it's tweakable, but not really fine tuneable, could mean some intonation issues. Would need to change strings one at a time to hold the bridge in place. String spacing at the bridge is a little tight, 14.8mm between string centers. Most basses are 17-19. It also looks like it has substantial neckdive, but I couldn't find anyone mentioning that. I would think neckdive would be common on this style, regardless of manufacturer, due to the location of the strap button where the body meets the neck. Those are the potential issues I see. The split coil pickups should run noise-free. And, it is very handsome. That's all I've got. At $170, $235 with a case, I say go for it. If you don't bond with it, odds are you'll get most of your money back when you sell it.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Thanks, that actually really helps. I read that someone secured the bridge with double sided tape but I'm not sure if it'd really change much, because it's just tape (??). I bought a jazzmaster copy from them a while ago and it isn't the greatest guitar, but I still really dig it, so this could be worth getting.

I was also looking at a cheapish Hofner Ignition bass (hi series b bass ?) but they didn't really get good reviews and they sound pretty meh to me :/
i'm a big fan of hofner ignitions, and they sound great with the right strings, which they don't come with. i had a violin bass that didn't need tweaking or improvements, and sounded excellent with flats (a few companies make beatle bass flats as hofners have an odd string wrap length). i also liked some rounds for it, but it took some experimenting. i also had a hofner club bass that i used with rounds.

i have seen some ignitions with QC issues, but if you buy from a decent retailer, they'll send a replacement if there are any issues. i believe if you buy from sweetwater and contact a sales guy, they'll open a few and pick one for you after checking it over.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
It might be worth looking at the Epiphone Viola for a cheap violin bass as it's more likely to have replaceable parts and slightly higher QC than the Douglas. All the Hofners I've played or even held have felt like they were made of eggshells, it made me pretty uncomfortable playing them.
I play lefty, which is a huge deciding factor. The epiphones seem okay enough, but they only made them right handed :/

I'm kinda torn between the douglas and an ignition, both seem like they'd be pretty good with different strings and maybe a few mods (?) It's kind of a tough choice, cus I can't play either of them before buying, but I've had good experience with rondo music so I guess either could be good.
I own a Brice/Rondo bass and they can have QA issues. They've gotten better but the reason the Talkbass guys love them is that if you like to mod basses, they are a good base instrument to build off of and customize.

I'm not a huge fan of Hofner and associated copies, but I would advise that if you are looking to buy one, they have a distinctive thumpy tone that doesn't always work for all things. And as the story goes, McCartney had one because that is what he could afford at the time.

The floating bridge would be a huge concern for me as well. And having owned a Dano Longhorn at one point with a neck as thin as this Douglas, intonation and truss rod adjustments can be a nightmare.

My final two pence? If you are good at setting up and modding instruments, go for the Douglas, if that is the sound you want. Otherwise, buyer beware.
Quote by anarkee

I'm not a huge fan of Hofner and associated copies, but I would advise that if you are looking to buy one, they have a distinctive thumpy tone that doesn't always work for all things. And as the story goes, McCartney had one because that is what he could afford at the time.

As you say, back in the day Hofner were mainly more or less starter instruments.
The Hofner Violin Bass was based on the early Gibson Bass of that type that the Bassist in Little Richard's band in the film Rock Around The Clock used.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by deeptubes
I've never owned one, but been playing for 30 years. Here's my impressions. The bridge is floating - not secured. That and the fact that it's tweakable, but not really fine tuneable, could mean some intonation issues. Would need to change strings one at a time to hold the bridge in place. String spacing at the bridge is a little tight, 14.8mm between string centers. Most basses are 17-19. It also looks like it has substantial neckdive, but I couldn't find anyone mentioning that. I would think neckdive would be common on this style, regardless of manufacturer, due to the location of the strap button where the body meets the neck. Those are the potential issues I see. The split coil pickups should run noise-free. And, it is very handsome. That's all I've got. At $170, $235 with a case, I say go for it. If you don't bond with it, odds are you'll get most of your money back when you sell it.

Only 30 years, I've been gigging since late summer 62 just prior to the Beatlemania explosion when everything went mad, we gigged 4 to 5 nights per week and held down daytime jobs.
Our singer worked with Jo Cocker at the local gasworks and our band lost on the toss of a coin the support slot to The Beatles when they came to Sheffield.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn