I already knew the smoking crusade involved a lot of BS.

I knew that smoking was bad for you but I knew it wasn't as bad as they make it sound.
My aunt died from lung cancer and she never touched a cigarette in her life. My father and his brother started smoking in their preteen years and died from things unrelated to smoking at an old age. They did quit when they were well into the 70s. My father died from a wonderful disease called amyloidosis , uncle from pneumonia. No heart disease no COPD. My father did have chronic bronchitis but it just amounted to coughing up stuff once in a while and was a nuisance and nothing more. No oxygen no nothing.

Meanwhile across the street from my parents with the non-smokers, pancreatic cancer, next-door to that that leukemia, on the other side of the pancreatic cancer was stomach cancer, down the street was a brain cancer. All non-smokers.

Question: could it be they are trying to direct the herds hatred at cigarettes. Instead of industrial waste and other cancer-causing agents. Could it be certain factions are making money and getting power off of this holy crusade.

Fun fact: a heavy lifetime smoker has a risk of about one in 20 of dying from lung cancer.(6%) .

That's pretty good odds. I wonder what the odds would be if they took out all the garbage they put in cigarettes and made them as safe as possible.

When I post craigslist ad I put from a smoking home but it doesn't have cancer and will not make you sick. I refuse to be looked down upon as some kind of subhuman evil ogre because I smoke. This is only vice I have. I started when I was 13 and I'm 62,63 very soon, and still doing just fine when, is it going to kill me? When am I going to get really sick from it like you're supposed to. How many more of my doctors do I have to outlive? I really liked the one that died from brain cancer. I'm not just saying that, he was a really nice guy and listened to what you had to say and genuinely cared about his patients. He was one of the few doctors that lived in my very polluted town. Most the other doctors lived far from town out in the country. That town is one of the most polluted places in the country from the steel mill and other industry that we should not think about.

http://www.freedom-of-choice.com/AS3.htm
Last edited by yope at Nov 28, 2015,
eyup
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Watch "thank you for smoking", great movie.

Also there are more negative effects to smoking then just lung cancer. And smoking increases the risk for Pneumonia. In fact it is the largest risk factor.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Nov 28, 2015,
Smells like ass. Tastes like ass. Makes you look like an ass. It's all just ass.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
If you're going to throw statistics around, then how about the statistic that nearly 500,000 people die of smoking related illnesses in the US per year alone? I'd say that makes it much more of an issue than how you're trying to almost trivialise it.

And if you're using anecdotal evidence to support your stance that the 'smoking crusade involves a lot of BS,' I never met either of my mother's parents because they died of smoking related diseases. I can anecdote as well!
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Nov 28, 2015,
The amount of shit that diesel cars churn out, and all the coal fired power stations are way worse for people than casual smoking. Especially with the VW emissions stuff coming to light

I always feel slightly worse for wear whenever I've been living in the town/city compared to living at home in the countryside, and I'm pretty sure its because the city I'm in is so congested and there's so many cars about. On my way to uni I have to cross several busy roads, I try not to think about all the shit I must be breathing in
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Not going to defend smoking, just truth.

I also wanted to see how deep the brainwashing went and its deep and permanent. Remember, don't think about any of the other shit it's all smoking.
Quote by Bladez22
The amount of shit that diesel cars churn out, and all the coal fired power stations are way worse for people than casual smoking. Especially with the VW emissions stuff coming to light

I always feel slightly worse for wear whenever I've been living in the town/city compared to living at home in the countryside, and I'm pretty sure its because the city I'm in is so congested and there's so many cars about. On my way to uni I have to cross several busy roads, I try not to think about all the shit I must be breathing in

thank you for the flicker of light amongst the darkness of ignorance.
the sources in the references were older then 10 years. can't trust it

even 10 years are loose standards

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Last edited by M00NAGEDAYDREAM at Nov 28, 2015,
Quote by yope
Not going to defend smoking, just truth.

I also wanted to see how deep the brainwashing went and its deep and permanent. Remember, don't think about any of the other shit it's all smoking.

I think most people know that you don't just drop dead when you start smoking.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by yope
thank you for the flicker of light amongst the darkness of ignorance.

But I should clarify that this doesn't mean smoking is okay, and if you smoke 20 a day then that's way worse than air pollution. But someone having the odd 2-3 cigarettes on a night out isn't going to have any adverse effects (unless they're super unlucky or something)

Both are pretty shit, but I do think the anti-smoking thing could be a cover for the state of the air quality, seems like a very reasonable tin-foil hat moment
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Well, my former neighbour used to work as a joiner in the shipyards. Part of his job was basically ripping out the interior of a ship for refurbishment, that involves taking all the asbestos out. With power tools. Without any kind of protection.

He also smoked.

He retired because of arthritis in his shoulder.

He never got lung cancer, or mesothelioma. He's been to the funerals of coworkers who did, though.

The moral of this story is that anecdotes are pretty meaningless.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Watch "thank you for smoking", great movie.

Also there are more negative effects to smoking then just lung cancer. And smoking increases the risk for Pneumonia. In fact it is the largest risk factor.

YES!
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by bradulator
It makes you smell gross and that's all that matters.

ya
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Smoking is pretty bad for you but I think the hatred of it is more ideological than anything.

Quote by Slavoj Žižek
During a recent visit to California, I attended a party at a professor's house with a Slovene friend, a heavy smoker. Late in the evening, my friend became desperate and politely asked the host if he could step out on the veranda for a smoke. When the host (no less politely) said no, my friend suggested that he step out on to the street, and even this was rejected by the host, who claimed such a public display of smoking might hurt his status with his neighbours … But what really surprised me was that, after dinner, the host offered us (not so) soft drugs, and this kind of smoking went on without any problem – as if drugs are not more dangerous than cigarettes.

This weird incident is a sign of the impasses of today's consumerism. To account for it, one should introduce the distinction between pleasure and enjoyment elaborated by the psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan: what Lacan calls jouissance (enjoyment) is a deadly excess beyond pleasure, which is by definition moderate. We thus have two extremes: on the one hand the enlightened hedonist who carefully calculates his pleasures to prolong his fun and avoid getting hurt, on the other the jouisseur propre, ready to consummate his very existence in the deadly excess of enjoyment – or, in the terms of our society, on the one hand the consumerist calculating his pleasures, well protected from all kinds of harassments and other health threats, on the other the drug addict or smoker bent on self-destruction. Enjoyment is what serves nothing, and the great effort of today's hedonist-utilitarian "permissive" society is to tame and exploit this un(ac)countable excess into the field of (ac)counting.

I think it's the same with the hatred of fat people. Both have aspects that are understandibly seen as offputting and grotesque but these just aren't enough to explain the sheer disgust and hatred that they envoke in a lot of people.

It's pretty interesting to hear people talk about it. Especially people you know fairly well - it just puts this weird fire in some people. Often people who are otherwise very reluctant to express strong negative opinions on stuff like this.

It feels like discussing politics more than anything.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by yope
My aunt died from lung cancer and she never touched a cigarette in her life.

stopped reading here just because of how dumb that sentence was

"hey my aunt died in a car crash and never drove intoxicated in her life! Must mean drunk drivers are fine!"

skimmed the rest of it and turns out it gets dumber. So pretty much you are basing your entire opinion on the dangers of smoking based on experience not on scientific fact.

"hey I've never seen anyone die from shooting themselves in the head so I think I'll be fine if I do it"
Last edited by ehbacon at Nov 28, 2015,
this is a whole new level of shitposting #yopethread
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by Bladez22
But I should clarify that this doesn't mean smoking is okay, and if you smoke 20 a day then that's way worse than air pollution. But someone having the odd 2-3 cigarettes on a night out isn't going to have any adverse effects (unless they're super unlucky or something)

Both are pretty shit, but I do think the anti-smoking thing could be a cover for the state of the air quality, seems like a very reasonable tin-foil hat moment

General air quality has actually improved pretty dramatically over the last 20 years (at least in the US). Lower emissions cars, the green movement, less reliance on coal, removal of CFCs, etc, has all resulted in lower emissions across the board and a plateau in energy usage. Air quality is the best it's been in quite a long time, not to say it can't continue to improve. Check this site for more info (US): http://www3.epa.gov/airtrends/ozone.html

@Yope
Smoking being shit for you is about as close to a scientific certainty as you can get. I can assure you the thousands of studies done on it are not all biased. There are exceptions to every trend, but the fact is that smoking makes you more likely to develop cancer, heart disease, etc. Sure, you might not, but why push your luck?
Quote by ehbacon at #33704441
stopped reading here just because of how dumb that sentence was

it's the entire post tbh. Dude has no idea how the body works
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by CrossBack7
General air quality has actually improved pretty dramatically over the last 20 years (at least in the US). Lower emissions cars, the green movement, less reliance on coal, removal of CFCs, etc, has all resulted in lower emissions across the board and a plateau in energy usage. Air quality is the best it's been in quite a long time, not to say it can't continue to improve. Check this site for more info (US): http://www3.epa.gov/airtrends/ozone.html

I'm in the UK, and I do agree that things are getting better, but they're still not okay. Especially with car manufacturers lying about their car emission tests. I was reading a new article the other day that suggested that diesel cars are a fuck of a lot worse than we first thought for air pollution, as the nitrogen by-product they churn out (A form of nitrous oxide iirc) does more damage to the respiratory system than we first believed. Which is hilariously ironic as the UK government subsidised diesel car tax to encourage more people to buy them because they were apparently "greener"

and while cars are getting cleaner, the number of cars on the roads is increasing, quite a bit. So unless I can find accurate air test quality for the UK I'm going to take things with a pinch of salt. Especially since my own anecdotal evidence agrees with me Even though I hit the gym all of last school year, and slept and ate really well, I still felt sort of ill and shit for a good part of the time I was there. As soon as I went back home to the countryside the problem went away. There's a load of variables at play, but at home I didn't sleep as well and didn't exercise anywhere near as much, but I felt a lot healthier, and I'm willing to bet that not having to walk through a sea of cars every morning was a big part of that

also again iirc it turned out that one of the big diesel car manufacturers were buddy buddy with someone in the gov and its more tin foil hat time, but I have no idea how true that is

@Yope
Smoking being shit for you is about as close to a scientific certainty as you can get. I can assure you the thousands of studies done on it are not all biased. There are exceptions to every trend, but the fact is that smoking makes you more likely to develop cancer, heart disease, etc. Sure, you might not, but why push your luck?

and yeah just to clarify, smoking is obviously bad for you, like I think its a scientifically accepted fact now that it fucks you over in the mid to long term

Although there's many reasons why people smoke, and start smoking. Mine is I just didn't/don't give a fuck. I'm trying to stop now though because it is super gross, like the only reason I want to stop is because its making my clothes and hands smell like shit. Its actually a lot harder than I thought but I'm doing alright
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Last edited by Bladez22 at Nov 28, 2015,
Somewhat related : http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/04/looking-for-answers-in-a-town-known-for-leukemia/284385/

Google search : https://www.google.com/search?q=Rate+of+leukimia+in+Fallon+Nevada&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Fallon Nevada has had, at least in the past, one of the highest rates in the nation for Leukemia.
And probably still does. Or at the very least, pretty damn close to the top of the list.

Luck of the draw you say?

Or could the fact the Fallon is also the location of the Fallon Naval Air Station, and a nearby bombing range?

Fallon is also a large farming community and many of out local fruits, vegetables, and livestock are grown there.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 28, 2015,