Thanks for any help. I have a 2014 MIA fender std strat with fat 50's. The neck is wonderful, the mid sounds good but I don't use it much. The bridge is not bad but is a bit thin. I have an ibanez with dimarzio evolutions in it for metal, so I do not feel I need a full humbucker in the strat. Possibly a rails like hot rails or super distortion, but I do want some of the single coil tone, and am afraid those rail options wouldn't have it.

I love Yngwie and like the sound of his bridge, but am not sure if the yjm would be versatile. I can only find youtube vids of people playing yngwie with yjms so I wonder if it would also be good for soloing for more distorted songs from say Van Halen or Iron Maiden (which uses hot rails..).

I'd like a hotter pickup that still sounds like a single coil, but can handle at least late 80s hard rock or metal soloing. I will not use it much for rhythm.

Thank you!
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Nov 28, 2015,
i haven't tried it but looking at the specs it doesn't appear to be super-hot.

if you want noiseless and still want it to sound more or less like a single coil, in my experience at least stacked (like the yjm) rather than rails is the way to go.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The YJM is more like a Strat sound than the humbucker sound of VH or IM. VH tends to use a hotter PAF-type, and IM tends to like our Hot Rails, which are really hot, mid-heavy humbuckers in a single coil size. Yngwie's distorted sound isn't as distorted as VH or IM, but it is dead quiet (unless he is playing) and clean & clear.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
jbjr does a fine job at vh. no idea about yjm though, i was never that into his stuff so i don't know any yjm songs.

i do have my jbjr set up to also only use one coil via a push pull volume pot. i'm pretty sure it works well because when it's in one coil mode, it sounds just as bad as a strat bridge pup.
lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
YJM is a fairly low output pickup not hot at all. yngwie relies on an overdrive and amp volume to get his distortion which really isn't very distorted compared to many heavier tones.

a Lace Sensor silver or blue would be more in line with what you want. VH is tough to get with a single coil that retains the strat sound (silver), the blue is much hotter and will give you humbuckerish sounds but doesn't sound as stratty however it still does retain some of that stratty tone.
Thanks guys. Maybe the yjm isn't what I need. I'll check out the laces. Also looked at bare knuckles sinner.

I feel like the fat 50s bridge has a good sound but needs a tad more oomph. Would you have any input on adding a baseplate? I never knew about it, but yesterday saw some articles about it and thought it may be a good option over replacing pickups, if it works.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
You may want to look at a Hot Rails if you are after heavy tones from a Strat. There is unlikely to be a heavier pickup in a single coil size, and you won't have to use as much gain from your amp or pedals.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
problem is it won't really sound like a strat pickup either (though i guess you could split it).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
problem is it won't really sound like a strat pickup either (though i guess you could split it).

not sure you can split that. it has way less wire than a standard humbucker so split it would likely sound very thin.

not sure if a base plate would do anything for you in terms of what you want.

ok now for my strat / heavy tones speach. strats can do great heavy tones with single coils BUT they aren't the same as humbucker tones. sigle coils tend to retain more clarity when distorted . they don't have the bass and lower mid heavy sound of a HB but have more upper mids and treble. they cut through a mix better. since they don't compete with the bass unison lines sound heavy without muddying up. OP are you using an overdrive?
Quote by monwobobbo
not sure you can split that. it has way less wire than a standard humbucker so split it would likely sound very thin.

not sure if a base plate would do anything for you in terms of what you want.

ok now for my strat / heavy tones speach. strats can do great heavy tones with single coils BUT they aren't the same as humbucker tones. sigle coils tend to retain more clarity when distorted . they don't have the bass and lower mid heavy sound of a HB but have more upper mids and treble. they cut through a mix better. since they don't compete with the bass unison lines sound heavy without muddying up. OP are you using an overdrive?

Actually I'm using bias fx and studio headphones and monitors.

Yea I think I'll pass for now on hot rails since I want the strat tone. I may just keep what I have for now.

I'm looking at the lace pickups, but am a little hesitant to replace pickups considering these are good pickups overall (just not ideal for songs I play)
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by monwobobbo
(a) not sure you can split that. it has way less wire than a standard humbucker so split it would likely sound very thin.

(b) ok now for my strat / heavy tones speach. strats can do great heavy tones with single coils BUT they aren't the same as humbucker tones. sigle coils tend to retain more clarity when distorted . they don't have the bass and lower mid heavy sound of a HB but have more upper mids and treble. they cut through a mix better. since they don't compete with the bass unison lines sound heavy without muddying up. OP are you using an overdrive?

(a) I know you can split the neck hot rails and it actually sounds pretty decent (arguably better than the unsplit sound, at least in my opinion ) but the neck position is a lot warmer than the bridge so that may well be what's helping it to sound ok- in the bridge it might well sound awful split as you said.

(b) +1. I've never tried any of the really high output true single coils, but any single coils I've tried don't really sound like humbuckers even when distorted, and even when saturated, really. As you said, there's a kind of a clarity or clean-ness at all times which you don't really get with humbuckers, where you get more of a focussed, saturated wall of distortion. If that's the tone you want you're maybe on a hiding to nothing if you want to get it from single coils.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?