Long story short... When I removed my Pure Mini from an old guitar to reinstall, one of the transducers had a frayed wire.

K&K recommends buying an individual transducer from them, but I'm curious if I can repair it myself with a simple soldering job.

Below are a few pictures; I cut the wire and cracked off half of the black casing to expose the soldered parts.

I have a very basic understanding of piezoelectricity so I'm unsure on the importance of the black casing and if the patch in the center of the transducer is problematic.

Anyone who could offer assistance, thanks!
Last edited by ElectricMan5 at Nov 28, 2015,
Strip the end of the cable, attach the center wire to the edge of the piezo (where the blob of solder is) and the braid to the silver part in the middle. The black plastic is just there for protection. If the piezo disc itself is damaged, then there's nothing you can do, but you've got nothing to lose by trying to solder it back on.
Quote by sashki
Strip the end of the cable, attach the center wire to the edge of the piezo (where the blob of solder is) and the braid to the silver part in the middle. The black plastic is just there for protection. If the piezo disc itself is damaged, then there's nothing you can do, but you've got nothing to lose by trying to solder it back on.

What part of the transducer is the piezo disc? The golden piece is perfectly flat with no scratches, but there's that patch on the white part; what IS the white part?

Thanks!
The golden round thing is the piezo disc. It produces an electric current when pressure is applied to it. It needs two connections to complete the circuit. One on the golden part, one on the white part.
I'm guessing there used to be a connection to the white part but it cracked and fell off, judging by the patch.
A buzzer from a smoke detector can work in a pinch.
Although I used a dual element buzzer I picked up at Radio Shack years ago for about $5

I did that with this old beast several years ago (its probably around 40 years old):

See this thread for more info on adding a piezo buzzer
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748459&page=1&pp=40&highlight=piezo+buzzer
Hell, you can bust open an old smoke detector and use the buzzer from that.

My post in said thread : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13449926&postcount=107

I glued some stiff foam with a tiny little slot cut from one side of the foam, and the foam holds the piezo buzzer securely against the guitar top, from the inside right under the bridge.
The buzzer I used has 2 elements and 3 wires with a cap added in series with one of the wires so I can emulated a bridge and a neck pickup, and added a tone control.
I had to use 1 meg pots because the output for the buzzer I used pretty damn loud,
But considering the cost, it actually sounds pretty damn good.

I've plugged it into my AC30 and it sounds nice through that amp.

So there's an option you could try out.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 1, 2015,