i am really on the fence on a lot of them, i am liking the breed, evo, and gravity storm the most, but i haven't tried any of them .

here is what you need to know.

i am looking for pickups for my forth prestige, here are what the others have.

3550mz - TZ/AN
2570evsl - CL/LQ
2550gbk - THIS IS THE ONE I AM LOOKING FOR
1570 - D-Activators

i am trying above all is to find the proper set to give me the most diversity on my prestiges. i can nail a lot now, but i just want to fill every RG tone possible.

i am NOT going to buy a SC, i wil leave the stock one in, i don't really use them on my prestiges.

now, here are preferences.

-medium output, nothing crazy
-i want clarity and definition
-i want super smooth, buttery neck pickup
-i want to be able to get acceptable cleans on the neck, its not a big deal if i have to roll down the volume or tone pot.
-i want the bridge to get a thick chunk, but not dead sounding (i don't know how to explain)
-i am ONLY going diamarzio on this.
-i am not quite close minded to having a set of the same set. i would mix different series if needed.
-i will play it through a LOT of amps, from a mesa MKiv to a rockerverb.

sorry this is so long.

what vai pickups would you recommend?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
how would an EVO bridge go with a Gravity Storm neck?

is the difference in output too much between the beefy evo and the smooth gravity storm?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Hard to say since i haven't tried them all So I can't really tell you which ones to go for. But I can maybe tell you which ones I wouldn't go for based on what you want.

The evos are clear but they're pretty hot (well, the bridge is anyway, the neck's not actually that hot, though a fair bit hotter than a paf-style pickup). They're pretty scooped, too. (I have the evo2 and evo neck in a superstrat, and also the evo neck in a charvel). I'm not sure I'd call them buttery, and not really chunky either. It's ages since I've tried the regular evo but it's supposed to be even more full-on than the evo 2. They are pretty clear, though.

The breeds might do what you want, but again it's ages since I tried them.

Also, if they're not too low output, paf pros might work, since vai used them before he had sig models I think. And they're very clear-sounding. Though I don't think I'd call them chunky.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Regarding the bridge pup, the Breed might have the thicker, chunkier sound, but lack a little in definition. Have you considered the Dominions? Not something Vai uses, but similar to a Breed with a more cutting sound. FYI, I have a Parker Nitefly M that has custom DiMarzios in them. The bridge is described as a "Breed with more presence and definition". Seems accurate to me. It may even be worth seeing if you track one of those down. I'm very happy with mine, but I know others change those out.

I don't have much experience with these neck pups I'm afraid. In fact, I'm curious as to what suggestions you get as I'm looking for a neck matching those specs.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Nov 30, 2015,
I am on the fence about the breed and evo. But I LOVE the gravity storm in the neck however I am not sure how it would match with the breed and evo. I am not really a huge fan of the gravity storm in the bridge, I want a little more meat.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I might do GS neck/Breed bridge, if you want a bit more beef.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
if you want more heat than the GS, then I'm guessing the Paf Pro wouldn't be hot enough either (I haven't tried the GS).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Breed is what you are looking for in the bridge. I have a set of them in a Jem and although I don't always love the neck (not smooth enough) the bridge is killer. Handles a broad range of styles, pick and volume responsive. Beefy without being muddy and great clarity without the trebleyness of the Evo.
Quote by rmoskal74
Breed is what you are looking for in the bridge. I have a set of them in a Jem and although I don't always love the neck (not smooth enough) the bridge is killer. Handles a broad range of styles, pick and volume responsive. Beefy without being muddy and great clarity without the trebleyness of the Evo.

Sweet. That is concurrent with what I have been hearing. I think I am sold on the breed for the bridge.

How do you think it would get along with a gravity storm in the neck? I am absolutely in love with the gravity storm neck pickup.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'd send an email to them. Most of the pickup makers I've corresponded with have been very good about telling you about what pairings of their pickups work well and which don't.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd send an email to them. Most of the pickup makers I've corresponded with have been very good about telling you about what pairings of their pickups work well and which don't.

i am planning on it, i just wanted to get it narrowed down a little bit first. dimarzio is great, but not as good as duncan. its hard to get the full lowdown on a rec without for sure what you are looking for as its only one perspective. i ask around on a forum and youtube a little bit, then get a general idea, than email the manufacturer and see what they think.

i am pretty solid on the Breed in the bridge and a Gravity Strom in the neck, UNLESS it is not recommended by dimarzio.

i will get a hold of them one of these days and see what they think. i will post back here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!