So I'm getting back into playing guitar and my chosen route is through a tablet using ampsims. I have $200 at the most to spend which narrows it down to either a ipad mini or a samsung (android) 10' tablet....which would you suggest?
Quote by jamesdolecek
So I'm getting back into playing guitar and my chosen route is through a tablet using ampsims. I have $200 at the most to spend which narrows it down to either a ipad mini or a samsung (android) 10' tablet....which would you suggest?

I'd go for the iPad, tried using amp virtualization on my (android) phone and delay killed it for me, iPad works good for me though.
Maybe get a used Peavey Vypir? Will sound better IMO.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
if your going the tablet route, get an Ipad/Ipod their software is much better and like was said Android has massive latency issues.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Android is still hit/miss for this purpose, you have to buy an open Android tablet, maybe check the IK Multimedia tech support for suggestion what models work.
iPad works for sure and has worked for quite a few generations now.
Quote by jamesdolecek

I think you're going to be disappointed (and overspent).
Take a look at a Korg Pandora PX5D or a Pandora Mini before you commit to hauling around an iPad, adding an interface and then hunting down the ampsims. The Korg has more features for guitar practice, is less expensive, less complicated and much more compact.
Quote by dspellman
I think you're going to be disappointed (and overspent).
Take a look at a Korg Pandora PX5D or a Pandora Mini before you commit to hauling around an iPad, adding an interface and then hunting down the ampsims. The Korg has more features for guitar practice, is less expensive, less complicated and much more compact.

+1 i don't think the whole tablet thing is a good idea either.

those little korg things are pretty sweet. i haven't tried any of the more recent models though, but i am sure they are better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Of the PDMs (portable digital modelers) on the market, I've had 3 Korg Pandora Px4s, one Px5, and a Tascam GT-R1. I've tried out Line 6 PODs and Boss Micro BRs, as well as other devices in Korg's Pandora series. The PODs may be the most popular, but I think the higher end Boss devices are possibly the most powerful of the bunch.

I have to say that the size, quality, and features make such devices indespensible practice and- for some- recording tools. I can understand the attractiveness of the power & flexibility of apps & devices for Apples & Androids- I have a DigiTech iPB-10, too- but IMHO, the PDMs are a better buy unless you're buying the best of the best.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 29, 2015,
I find the Boss to be the best sounding, you can go Micro Br or Micro Br 80 used ($60 to about $120) and get much better modeling that what you'd get on your tablet or the older Korgs, which sound a bit like nails on chalkboard to me.
Quote by diabolical
I find the Boss to be the best sounding, you can go Micro Br or Micro Br 80 used ($60 to about $120) and get much better modeling that what you'd get on your tablet or the older Korgs, which sound a bit like nails on chalkboard to me.

the tone on the korgs isn't amazing. the thing that sells the korg for me are a ton of features that you don't get on most MFX processors (especially at that price). they are more of a learning tool than a processor IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The generally Px5 sounds better than the Px4, but there are still some things I like about the 4s better, like the controls. Some of the models, too.

But if I were shopping right now, I'd have to give the BRs a harder look than I did back in the day.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!