Hey all,

Thought this would be interesting on the forum to see what the thoughts are on this video of songs requests by students over 2015. For me, it's quite a scandal that only classic riff features against songs no older than a year or two, but I guess that's what the younger generations want!
Anyone else has similar results with lessons or completely different results?

Note: I teach approx 150 students per week in different schools around London.
http://youtu.be/IfhR82_4IR8
It's like a summary of all songs I despise, especially Passenger. But hey, once they find out all pop songs can be learned within a minute they'll look into more profound music.
Quote by julien112
It's like a summary of all songs I despise, especially Passenger. But hey, once they find out all pop songs can be learned within a minute they'll look into more profound music.

All part of the learning curve that's for sure. What was cool about it is at least the majority of the songs are guitar driven one way or the other so it should lead to a broaden scope of music in the long run...basically, there wasn't enough requests for Bieber, One Direction etc as much as I thought there could be! Most kids at the age of 8-12 really don't know what they're in to at such an age, especially when its parents that want them to learn!
my third guitar instructor told me I was his favorite student because I didn't just want to play what I heard on the radio like everyone else. According to him I brought in the weirdest music and was also always open to suggestions so he felt like he could share some cool music with me too.

I don't think I am weird.... just weird for utah lol.

Also your dog was super impressed.
Last edited by Blicer at Nov 29, 2015,
*reported*

If you want to advertise yourself then do so through the appropriate channels, or if this is genuinely offered for discussion and comment then it should go in to one of the recordings forums; either way this really isn't the place for it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Blicer
my third guitar instructor told me I was his favorite student because I didn't just want to play what I heard on the radio like everyone else. According to him I brought in the weirdest music and was also always open to suggestions so he felt like he could share some cool music with me too.

I don't think I am weird.... just weird for utah lol.

Also your dog was super impressed.

Weird students are the best, I can vouch for that! Some students have introduced me to new bands and stuff which is great, and of course there are songs that are dire. Ultimately, as long as kids get a kick out of it then all is well.

lol the dog makes the video!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
*reported*

If you want to advertise yourself then do so through the appropriate channels, or if this is genuinely offered for discussion and comment then it should go in to one of the recordings forums; either way this really isn't the place for it.

But it's a discussion about songs that students have requested or what teachers have had to teach; very much about learning/technique dude.
Sounding good Pitchard!

I have to say I've never heard those songs. I'm an old man though. If you were teaching me I'd ask for something like "Seagull". I took a lesson a few months ago. Didn't learn much from the teacher but I taught him how to play "Blitzkrieg Bop"!
Last edited by TobusRex at Nov 30, 2015,
Hey I enjoyed listening to you play, but
No way-
The only way students would request these tunes
is if they were kidnapped, shock therapy, MK ULTRA
mind control-
in my day, Mel Bay was the god-like figure that MK ULTRA implanted
into my generations's brain...
Last edited by sunaj at Nov 30, 2015,
Quote by TobusRex
Sounding good Pitchard!

I have to say I've never heard those songs. I'm an old man though. If you were teaching me I'd ask for something like "Seagull". I took a lesson a few months ago. Didn't learn much from the teacher but I taught him how to play "Blitzkrieg Bop"!

Any Ramones is a winner in my books!
Quote by sunaj
Hey I enjoyed listening to you play, but
No way-
The only way students would request these tunes
is if they were kidnapped, shock therapy, MK ULTRA
mind control-

Sounds likes the music industry to me! Don't get me wrong, I've had the usual guitar hero requests throughout the year and it's great when you get kids who soak up songs and newer techniques like sponges..but a lot of my prep aged kids are definitely into a lot of ones I've mentioned and normally it's cos there's been a spin of them all over the radio or they're in the news one way or the other...cos of all the entries, it would explain why AC/DC managed to get in amongst the young guns (and of course a new record!)
Quote by julien112

It's what kicks start their own learning at least, and like you say they probably will branch out and start appreciating other music if they stick with it I'm sure.

But interestingly I love most of those songs for what they are, wouldn't want to learn them mind.
Whilst this is borderline self promotion it's also not really a technique discussion either, would probably be better suited to one of the artists forums or possibly musician talk, but that's a bit of a stretch admittedly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com