All of my guitars are hard tailed, so I don't get to use a floyd very much. But will the tremolo stop you before you pull up enough that the strings break?
Depends how tight the strings are before you pull up on the twang stick.

But for most people, yes, it will stop before the strings break.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Strings usually break where there is a sharp bend, like at the tuning post or saddle, or just from constant bending back and forth (tuning up and down, bends, lots of trem dives, etc), which weakens it. While pulling up on a properly set up FR shouldn't break a string that is in good shape, one that has been already weakened could be much more easily broken by the additional stress of pulling up. It puts stress on a string just like bending it would.
Assuming that the saddles and posts/blades are in good working order, the only way a Floyd Rose would break your strings is if you had a very heavy gauge tuned very high, making the tension excessive for using the trem. Otherwise, I don't think so.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
No. There's a sticky or two around the forums that have pretty good directions for setting up your bridge, if it's set up properly you're good.

As, when strings do break, it's usually at the bottom where they're screwed in. That would indicate a sharp edge that you should get a real guitar-tech to deal with.
you could pop a string out of the saddle. that would likely happen before a break.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you could pop a string out of the saddle. that would likely happen before a break.

This times a trillion, that is what always happens during Slayer's World Painted Blood solo
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
if it's recessed, absolutely. you can totally break strings, and it happens pretty frequently, at least it did to me (not as much recently).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Exactly. I never broke a string while pulling up, but if I pull up really hard, one of the higher strings usually pops out of the saddle.

Also, I kinda feel when something is about to break/pop out when pulling up. If I pull up hard, I stop when I get that feel that if I go any further, the string will come out of the saddle. Realluy hard to explain, but I just can feel it in my hands...
I've lifted my guitar up by the floyd handle and violently shook it while ringing out a whammy harmonic. Many times. Haven't broke a string yet.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Dave_Mc
if it's recessed, absolutely. you can totally break strings, and it happens pretty frequently, at least it did to me (not as much recently).

agree. wound strings have the core pop out and thin strings can break as well with some abuse. if you don't go nuts while doing it most often they are fine. old strings can go as well.
^ Yeah I mean it's entirely possible that mine snapped because the strings were old, or maybe the saddles weren't in 100% condition etc. etc., but considering TS is asking the question it sounds like he's not that used to Floyds so assuming he is (like the people saying you can't break a string on one) seems to me to not be the best plan. Better to assume that if you go too crazy with it that you can break a string and then at least you're ready for it, once you get more used to it and can kind of feel when a string is liable to break you can start to experiment a bit more with how close you can get to them breaking before they break etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, it all depends. I have never snapped a string by pulling it that far back with a floyd rose. The benefits to a floyd rose is that even if the string snaps, you can still use it if you tune more of it onto the pegs. Technically, you can push the floyd rose enough to theoretically snap the string, but chances are, you either have too light strings or you strung them up too tight which shouldnt really happen because you can feel if there is too much tension in the string. Anyways, it doesnt even matter if you do so happen to snap the string because tou can just unwind some more of it and then pop it back into the saddle.
what do you mean by "too light strings"?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Yep, done this more than my share of times.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by DanyFS
Exactly. I never broke a string while pulling up, but if I pull up really hard, one of the higher strings usually pops out of the saddle.

Also, I kinda feel when something is about to break/pop out when pulling up. If I pull up hard, I stop when I get that feel that if I go any further, the string will come out of the saddle. Realluy hard to explain, but I just can feel it in my hands...

I know what you're talking about, the string creeps or kinda stretches at the trem before fully breaking out, you can feel it before coming back down from the pull up. I hate when that happens.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.