Hello all. I am looking to build my first amp from scratch (a 5F1 champ) and am trying to figure out how loud I can make it. I have looked all over the internet and have found lots of numbers, but nothing that I can call definitive, so I will just ask directly: If I pair this 5 watt circuit with a super efficient 12" Tone Tubby 40/40 (or any other similar speaker) that is rated at 101 dB per 1 watt, will that be loud enough to hold with a band? Any insight would be much appreciated.
True. Like Hendrix, White Stripes, Gary Clark Jr. kind of stuff. Not trying to play metal or anything like that.
it may
I have found very few low power amps that can work in my band situations. My 20 watt 1980Jr is the smallest I can get away with
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ride_a_bike
True. Like Hendrix, White Stripes, Gary Clark Jr. kind of stuff. Not trying to play metal or anything like that.

Should be okay for the most part. Don't expect cleans though.
Hm. Seems like volume could be there, but now I am kind of rethinking this. Maybe it would be better to build something a little more powerful just for the sake of a little extra headroom.
Quote by TheQuailman
Should be okay for the most part. Don't expect cleans though.
This.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by ride_a_bike
Hm. Seems like volume could be there, but now I am kind of rethinking this. Maybe it would be better to build something a little more powerful just for the sake of a little extra headroom.

Might just go for an 18w build then, plenty of kits around. Combine it with an overdrive and/or fuzz pedal and you should be good to go for the music you play.
Quote by ride_a_bike
Hello all. I am looking to build my first amp from scratch (a 5F1 champ) and am trying to figure out how loud I can make it. I have looked all over the internet and have found lots of numbers, but nothing that I can call definitive, so I will just ask directly: If I pair this 5 watt circuit with a super efficient 12" Tone Tubby 40/40 (or any other similar speaker) that is rated at 101 dB per 1 watt, will that be loud enough to hold with a band? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Roughly 108db which is just shy of the 110db probably needed to run with a drummer on it's own. Add an SM 57 in front of the grill and you will be as loud as your PA can get. 130db??

15-20w with a quality speaker is tried and true for a lot of pub gigs. Blues Jr, Orange TT, Deluxe Reverb have been getting it done for decades.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Build an 18W Marshall. They aren't much harder to build.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys. I think I will go for an 18 watt or something similar and not gamble on this 5 watt idea.
Quote by ride_a_bike
Thanks guys. I think I will go for an 18 watt or something similar and not gamble on this 5 watt idea.

If you're going for 18W, you may as well go for 30-50W.
Quote by dspellman

Now I'm thinking about it...
A 5 watt tube amp can get you kicked out of your apartment.

Quote by dspellman

Might as well go for an AC30 clone then.
He wouldn't just piss off the neighbors with that, he would piss off the entire block
i built a 18w and a 5f1. (and a JTM45)

a 5f1 is LOUD, i have used it over a drummer (unmic'd), dimed, and i was fine. BUT the problem is that the sound needs to get disbursed, a 1x10" or 1x12" cab wont spread the volume around enough, so what i would do is throw a cab on each side so it would be heard better. it was fine. mic'd there is no issue though.

the 18w is too loud in most cases if you are really wanting to 'open it up' i love it, but you are going to go deaf if you dime it. way too loud for poweramp distortion in 99% of applications.

to me the 5f1 is more functional IF you DON'T need cleans, and like the tone.

i also built a JTM45, but it hasn't been running for a long time. i just haven't gotten around to it yet. that sucker is really loud. i love it with a nice pair of KT66's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 29, 2015,