What kind of percussion instrument would fit with a classical guitar sound? I've been looking for a couple of hours but I haven't found anything.

You see,if I'm only playing chords and a melody line it sounds kind of empty,but adding a "regular/normal" drum kit too it would sound off imo.

Is there any kind of folk drums or something that I could get plug-ins for?
Also,at the intro,is that what harmonizing a melody line means? Like playing for example an octave above?

Example: https://soundcloud.com/odd-j-rgen-h-ib/eir-acoustic-test

There's tempo mistakes,couple of strings gets out of tune halfway through and 1 note that I screwed up in the beginning,there's some more minor stuff as well but at the end of the day,this is a half finished song and just an example so I could get some input regarding the above question
How about a cajon drum? I think it would work for that song.

Harmonizing a melody means you add another melody that follows the main melody. You can harmonize by an interval or by using chord tones or a combination of those. Harmonizing in thirds or sixths (above or below) is most common. But sometimes that doesn't work for the whole melody and you may have to use fourths or fifths for some parts. Use chord tones if some part sounds weird. For example if the chord you are playing over is Am and your melody goes C-B-A (and stays on the A or the A falls on a strong beat), you don't want to harmonize it like A-G-F (that would be harmonizing in thirds). Change that F to E and it sounds better over the Am chord.

I would say avoid consecutive fifths or fourths. That doesn't work for this kind of music.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The piece so far is in E minor. So,what you're saying is that using iv and v repeatedly wouldn't fit in a melody? I'm tired,so I might've misunderstood you.

I'll look up the cajon drums!
Thanks

EDIT: So if I'd properly harmonize the intro I'd elevate every note up a said interval or scale degree?

So if I'd harmonize my intro in thirds it'd look like this? Intro/Harmonized in thirds

E F# G / G A C
E G A / G C D
G A B / C D E
F# G F# E D / B C B A G
Last edited by Oddly_Phrygian at Nov 29, 2015,
percussion suggestions:
maraca
or tambourine
or castanets
or even a drum kit with brushes instead of sticks
or some beatboxing yo!!!
Si
Quote by Oddly_Phrygian
So if I'd properly harmonize the intro I'd elevate every note up a said interval or scale degree?

Pretty much, though you don't necessarily have to stick to the same interval the whole time, but it's a good place to start. You could also harmonize with lower notes.

Quote by Oddly_Phrygian
So if I'd harmonize my intro in thirds it'd look like this? Intro/Harmonized in thirds

E F# G / G A C
E G A / G C D
G A B / C D E
F# G F# E D / B C B A G

You've got a lot of fourths mixed in there, which could be good if that's the sound you want, but strictly thirds would be like this:

E F# G / G A B
E G A / G B C
G A B /B C D
F# G F# E D / A B A G F#
Lots of possible options. One thing I might try for that, is just rapping on the guitar. You've got a serious hiss there though. Hiss is rough, and I also have issues with it sometimes, but that's a particularly severe case you got going there.
The4thHorsemen: ahh...so the scale degree you're "harmonizing from" is counted as the 1st,then 2nd and so on...I thought it meant that you started to count on the 2nd scale degree from the one you'd harmonize so that the 2nd would be counted as 1st then 2nd and so on and so forth. Thanks!

Fingrpikingood: yeah that hiss is mainlý because of my PC fan....it's working overtime ALL the time haha. And the mic I record the classical with is one that's on a headset...

20T and selkayann: Thanks for more percussion inputs,I'll look into them later and see of I eventually can get some pluins for either of them...
Quote by Oddly_Phrygian
The piece so far is in E minor. So,what you're saying is that using iv and v repeatedly wouldn't fit in a melody? I'm tired,so I might've misunderstood you.

I'll look up the cajon drums!
Thanks

EDIT: So if I'd properly harmonize the intro I'd elevate every note up a said interval or scale degree?

E F# G / G A C
E G A / G C D
G A B / C D E
F# G F# E D / B C B A G

What I explained about harmonizing a melody over Am was just an example and had nothing to do with your song. It was to show that sticking with one interval for the harmony part may not always work that well.

Correction:

E F# G / G A B
E G A / G B C
G A B / B C D
F# G F# E D / A B A G F#

That would be harmonizing in thirds (above the melody). You had some fourths there. The last line was harmonized completely in fourths.

But yeah, also look at the chords you are playing over. If some interval doesn't sound good, replace it with a chord tone.

I listened to the song and yeah, harmonizing in thirds should work just fine at least for that part.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 30, 2015,
Those little egg shakers sound very nice with a classical acoustic. It takes a little practice to get the feel for them but they sound good. Use two hard panned left and right for the best stereo image. It's also very cheap.
Attachments:
egg shakers 2.jpg
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 30, 2015,
Quote by Oddly_Phrygian
What kind of percussion instrument would fit with a classical guitar sound? I've been looking for a couple of hours but I haven't found anything.

You see,if I'm only playing chords and a melody line it sounds kind of empty,but adding a "regular/normal" drum kit too it would sound off imo.

Is there any kind of folk drums or something that I could get plug-ins for?
Also,at the intro,is that what harmonizing a melody line means? Like playing for example an octave above?

Example: https://soundcloud.com/odd-j-rgen-h-ib/eir-acoustic-test

There's tempo mistakes,couple of strings gets out of tune halfway through and 1 note that I screwed up in the beginning,there's some more minor stuff as well but at the end of the day,this is a half finished song and just an example so I could get some input regarding the above question

Any sound works, but Djembe's and latin percussion fit well. Drums can work as well.
Quote by 20Tigers
or some beatboxing yo!!!

No offense, but the thought of a kiwi saying that just isn't right.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.