I picked up another Epiphone G-400 SG tonight, this one came with a Dean hard case. I found what I think was a good deal on CL and would love your opinions on my find. The guitar is in great shape, however the strings are rusty and 1 volume knob is missing the "volume" sticker and the pickup switch is missing the cap and there aren't any "normal" strap buttons like on my SG Pro, instead it has like a strap buckle screwed into the body at the same locations as the buttons on my pro. The serial # dates it to 2008.

I got the SG and hard case for a total of $90.

Also, as I said in my earlier posts I'm new to guitars just started playing less than 2 months ago, so I have very little knowledge about guitars. My first/other guitar is a Black Epiphone g-400 SG Pro (love it) and I noticed that the front & rear PUPs on it are both at the same height (raised above the housing). Now, I noticed this red SG I picked up tonight has the rear PUP in a similar height position as my pro, however the front PUP is lower, it sits flush with the housing. When I select the front pickup only its noticeably quieter than when I select the rear PUP only. My Pro is the exact opposite.

Is this normal? What should I do? Can I raise the PUP?

Here are some pics.
Attachments:
redsgcase.JPG
redsgfront.JPG
redsgback.JPG
redsgpup.JPG
mysg's.JPG
it is normal for people to have pickups at different heights. If you want it louder, just raise it up a bit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The straps appear to be dimarzio strap locks. I have them on a couple of my guitars. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. For $90 I would have picked that up too. Congrats.
Like Robb said you can adjust the pickups to fit your sound/playing style/comfort.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Thanks.

Yea, it came with a Dimarzio strap. I just checked their site and read about the quick lock system.

I think I'm going to go have it setup, new strings , pickup adjusted and then sell it or trade it towards a Tele or Strat , since I already have an SG.... Who knows though, I might just keep it... The red looks really nice to my eye.
Last edited by bevans555 at Nov 30, 2015,
Nice score. You got it for so cheap that there's definitely money to be made on it. Unless I REALLY wanted to get a tele or strat and needed to sell this to pay for it, I'd keep it and mod it out. I'm thinking a Bigsby and some P90's would really make that G400 interesting.

I could go either way, I guess. On one hand, I'm an SG nut. On the other hand, except for my "never gonna sell it because x" gear I'm always buying/selling/trading.
Quote by TheJawsOfDeath
Nice score. You got it for so cheap that there's definitely money to be made on it. Unless I REALLY wanted to get a tele or strat and needed to sell this to pay for it, I'd keep it and mod it out. I'm thinking a Bigsby and some P90's would really make that G400 interesting.

I could go either way, I guess. On one hand, I'm an SG nut. On the other hand, except for my "never gonna sell it because x" gear I'm always buying/selling/trading.

Thanks.

Just dropped it off to have it restrung and the front pickup raised.

I hadn't thought about switching out the humbuckers for p90s... You definitely have me thinking about that. Tell me more about the p90 sound.... I was originally thinking of trying to trade the sg towards a Tele or maybe Strat. Would putting in p90s give me that type of sound? Are they more twangy, like bluesy sounding? If so, I'll probably just keep the sg ( love the color) and swap pups.
Quote by bevans555
Thanks.

Yea, it came with a Dimarzio strap. I just checked their site and read about the quick lock system.

I think I'm going to go have it setup, new strings , pickup adjusted and then sell it or trade it towards a Tele or Strat , since I already have an SG.... Who knows though, I might just keep it... The red looks really nice to my eye.

Use it to learn how to set up guitars. If it does go horribly wrong then have a tech mess with it. A tech is gonna charge you $50-$100 + string cost to set it up, those guitars are lucky to sell for $175 even with good aftermarket pickups, so you could end up loosing money on the deal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
A tech is gonna charge you $50-$100 + string cost to set it up, those guitars are lucky to sell for $175 even with good aftermarket pickups, so you could end up loosing money on the deal

Thanks for the advice but He only charged me $43 dollars for everything, and that was including 2 packs of elixir strings( they were BOGO free) and one pack sells for $22 in his shop.... So it was worth it to avoid the anxiety and headache, but I agree that I do need to learn how to do this myself.
Quote by bevans555
Thanks for the advice but He only charged me $43 dollars for everything, and that was including 2 packs of elixir strings( they were BOGO free) and one pack sells for $22 in his shop.... So it was worth it to avoid the anxiety and headache, but I agree that I do need to learn how to do this myself.

It's pretty easy with a fixed bridge. That said, don't rush it. Spending an extra few minutes with the string change can save you a lot of time with the bugger going out of tune when you start playing.

Pretty sure there's a guide in a sticky here somewhere.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Man bevans, it sucks being in scotland. That shop or whatever has some baller prices. You got a spare room?
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Man bevans, it sucks being in scotland. That shop or whatever has some baller prices. You got a spare room?

Sasquatch, we should house swap for a week... I'd love to hit the links in Scotland, lol.

Yea his prices were good and he got it done the same day I dropped it off... I asked how much to change out the PUPs to p90s and he said it would be the cost of PUPs + $100 labor and that included him rewiring everything. Not sure how that compares price wise to other places.
Quote by bevans555
Sasquatch, we should house swap for a week... I'd love to hit the links in Scotland, lol.

Yea his prices were good and he got it done the same day I dropped it off... I asked how much to change out the PUPs to p90s and he said it would be the cost of PUPs + $100 labor and that included him rewiring everything. Not sure how that compares price wise to other places.

I'm pretty sure I've had a friend have his guitar away for a WEEK just for a restring. That's why everyone should string their own guitar, at least in britain. As for labor prices, it can shoot up into the hundreds of pounds depending on what it is you want doing. On the bright side you can grab some british goodies. I'mma get me a charvel amp over there.

Just sign name X here, and passport details X here.
Quote by bevans555
Thanks.

Just dropped it off to have it restrung and the front pickup raised.

I hadn't thought about switching out the humbuckers for p90s... You definitely have me thinking about that. Tell me more about the p90 sound.... I was originally thinking of trying to trade the sg towards a Tele or maybe Strat. Would putting in p90s give me that type of sound? Are they more twangy, like bluesy sounding? If so, I'll probably just keep the sg ( love the color) and swap pups.

Restringing and changing the front pickup height should never be a tech-required job. The whole thing takes maybe fifteen minutes if you're watching Game of Thrones as you go and Daenerys is dropping trou (again).

Swapping out the humbuckers for P90's probably isn't a great idea unless you're simply swapping them out for the humbucker-size P90's, in which case it's a piece of quiche. But I really don't consider the P90's on the same level as strat or tele pickups.

If you have four-wire humbuckers, you can try simply having them wired (add a push-pull pot) to split the coils and run each as a single coil. This actually works pretty well if you have fairly high output humbuckers already. Splitting the coils then gives you a single coil that's within the strat's normal range. Some humbucker users complain about a drop in volume (expected), but if you plan to use the guitar in split mode often, consider setting up your amp specifically FOR split mode (as you'd have to do if you have a strat anyway) and then complain about the power boost you get when you switch to humbucker mode.

In any case, if you have four-wire pickups, it's the cheapest way to go to get a new sound out of the guitar.
Yea, like i said, I'll try the restring in the future but basically I got 2 sets of elixir wires that normally run $22 per pack and the tech only charged me $43 for everything... It was like I was being paid $1 to have someone else restring ,check out the electronics and neck ,and adjust the pickup. I just don't think you can beat that. I did later re adjust the front pickup, so I can now do that with no problems.

Still unsure if I'm going to sell/trade the SG or swap out pickups. I listened to a g400 last night that someone swapped pups and put in Seymour Duncan 57 neck and custom 5 bridge and it sounded amazing. So still trying to decide what to do. Part of me would like an acoustic or telecaster. Part of me wants to sell the red SG take that money to buy the Duncan pups and put them in my black SG pro and part of me wants to keep the red SG and add the Duncan pups. Just not sure if I would play the lesser sounding SG after swapping out PUPs for Duncan's. Anyway, I got plenty of time to think about it, considering I'm a newb who's only 2 months into my guitar journey and can't play yet.

Thanks for all the helpful advice
What are you playing through?

You might - and I stress might - benefit more from saving cash to change/upgrade there than changing your pickups.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Fender Super Champ X2

Just to clarify I love the way both the sg's sound in stock configuration, I don't think they are lacking anything, they are super clean and can also get great crunch/distortion. I like the idea of tinkering and those Seymour Duncan pickups just take things to a different level.