Good day ppl

I'm thinking about getting a new amp. but I'm not really sure which one to choose, there are a lot of options and I was wondering if you could help me to give me some directions.

Budget: around 350-400$
My guitar: Dean ML 79F (going to change pickups from stock ones to Bill Lawrence l500xl)
Music preference: metal (Sepultura, pantera etc.)

The thing is that I don't have a case for my guitar yet, so I can't bring it to the store and just try out all the amps. I'll go anyway, pick some guitar from store and try the amps available, just interest in your opinion ppl.
(amp needed only for home use)

Thanks for the answers and have a great day!
Last edited by BigYankBAll at Nov 30, 2015,
where do you live? amps can vary greatly in cost from one area to another
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by BigYankBAll
The thing is that I don't have a case for my guitar yet, so I can't bring it to the store and just try out all the amps. I'll go anyway, pick some guitar from store and try the amps available, just interest in your opinion ppl.
Why is that?
There are no perfect amps so choose one that suits your needs best.

Where you live, where you play, and the style of music you intend to play have great bearing on the best amp choice for you. Post a few youtube vids of the guitar tone you are going for. For general Pantera tone I am thinking Jet City or Laney, but they are pretty useless in an apt.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Best Line6 POD and Monitor Bookshelf Speakers and/or Headphones you can afford.

Or just go with Amp Sims (start with something like Peavey ReValver) on the computer with a Guitar to USB interface. Get some Monitor Bookshelf Speakers and/or Headphones later on.

If you do want an actual amp for an apartment then look into the Laney IronHeart Studio or maybe an Engl E530.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Jet city JCA22h and Harley Benton G112 vintage cab from www.Thomann.de
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cajundaddy
There are no perfect amps so choose one that suits your needs best.

You better hope Cathbard and his RM crew don't here you say that...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
for a right now fix the POD/speakers will do the job. if you cheap out on the software and the interface you may face latency issues.

IMO you should save some more bread and buy a proper amp.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
80's Randall RG80 or 100es, MXR 10 band EQ in the loop. That will get you close to the tone you're looking for.
If you're not planning in gigging and this is just for home use, get a pair of nice over-ear headphones (not bass-enhanced) and either a portable digital modeler (Line 6 POD, Boss Micro-BR, Korg Pandora, Tascam GT-R1, etc.) or a good floor MFX unit with a headphone jack. Many will let you either directly interface with a computer, or will have some kind of removable storage option.

Should get you in the neighborhood of the tone you seek, and you won't disturb the neighbors.

http://www.boss.info/products/micro_br_br-80/features/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 3, 2015,
i would skip on a new SS randall.

however, through the past few years, i have owned three or four RG100ES's. they do the dime thing, not much more. i didn't pay over $120 for any of them. they were beat to fuck and didn't have the footswitch. they didn't sound bad though for what they are. BUT, they aren't worth much more than $150 (if its minty).

i would recommend (very much more than the randall) either a 6505+ combo, DSL401 (or 40c), jet city has some decent offerings here and there. i just picked up a JSX for under $400, i like it a lot so far.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would skip on a new SS randall.

however, through the past few years, i have owned three or four RG100ES's. they do the dime thing, not much more. i didn't pay over $120 for any of them. they were beat to fuck and didn't have the footswitch. they didn't sound bad though for what they are. BUT, they aren't worth much more than $150 (if its minty).

i would recommend (very much more than the randall) either a 6505+ combo, DSL401 (or 40c), jet city has some decent offerings here and there. i just picked up a JSX for under $400, i like it a lot so far.

The new ones are the same as the rges on the 2 channel. The third is added and for more heavier metal.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on