Tend to be very highly regarded around here, especially for the price. Might need a set up out of the box, but once everything is set up they play very nicely. I have owned 3 or 4 and they have all been great guitars, the higher up you go, model wise, the better overall quality.
I know dspellman has had a couple PLEK'd and swears by how amazing they are. I have not been fortunate to have this done, but mine were still great players nonetheless.
TL;DR-worth the money
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I've bought three Rondo guitars over the years, two SX Liquids (one for me, one for my brother's Christmas) and an Agile LP junior copy. For the money, they're very, very good. Had I not already bought an Epi LP standard, I probably would have bought the Agile 2000 or 3000 version.

Setups from the factory are about par for the course for the price range. Playable? Certainly. I'm a stickler for action, though, so I have no trouble going in and tweaking the settings until I'm happy with it.
The SX and Douglas lines can be a little hairy with quality, but the Agiles are top notch for the price.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yeah the Agile line is good value, the lower lines are very hit or miss.

I also suggest looking at Xaviere Guitars at www.guitarfetish.com made pretty nice and they have good pickups stock.

Another good cheap company is Raven West Guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 30, 2015,
The Agiles are made in Korea by World Musical Instruments, the guys who make guitars for PRS, Schecter, ESP, BC Rich, Dean, Line 6.
Why do americans get things so damn cheap? Ok, yeah, economics and taxes or whatever but I'm sure we're just being tight-assed to some extent. UK custom shops happily charge around £2000 for a custom, yeesh.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Why do americans get things so damn cheap? Ok, yeah, economics and taxes or whatever but I'm sure we're just being tight-assed to some extent. UK custom shops happily charge around £2000 for a custom, yeesh.

Not everything is cheap here
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by sasquatchjosh96

Volume (/demand) is one reason. And like you said, other countries have to maintain massive bureaucracies so they impose insane taxes. The other is America is the only country nuts enough to actually practice "free trade". You can get cheap junk from everywhere. The price to pay for that is that America manufactures little/ there are no manufacturing jobs for Americans.
Right. The Agiles are the Rondo house brand, and tend to be a bit higher-priced than the Douglas, SX, Hadean, etc. that are actually built for other vendors as well. I've got four of the Agiles, ranging from one custom that cost me $1160, with case, delivered (and that's had another $1500 worth of work done on it) to an AD-2300 purchased used for $130 that was sold with a spectacular set of hand-wound P90's. I've had three of the Agiles PLEK'd (as mentioned, above), and they're spectacular players. I'm looking at one of the SX "Liquid" guitars (about $139, I believe). At the prices they charge for the low-end stuff, it's way too easy to say, "What can I lose?" The Agiles have been particularly well received; the predominant reaction when opening one of these boxes is, "Wait, I paid WHAT for this?" Kurt (the owner) is very good with customer service and returns. The returns are usually deemed "B-stocks" and put back up on the website at a serious discount. Some have lasted only seconds before being snapped up.

I can honestly only speak first hand about the Agiles I bought, but I'd certainly buy any of them again.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96

Cheer up fella, at least your not paying the Australia tax. Things are so expensive down here now that I couldn't believe how cheap the UK was when I last went back.
Ok, yeah when I said things I meant music stuff. Specifically american music stuff in america, charvel for one. You should see the price jump to get a charvel amp in britain. It's just, the size of America gives birth to so much potential so there are so many people making so much good stuff that is very fairly priced in the boundaries of the US. In the uk we've got a few blokes in their garage cranking out £2000 dream machines apparantly. Ok, I joke, but UK made quality music items are so often more expensive in the UK than US items in the US.

Makes me sad.

Quote by SpiderM
Cheer up fella, at least your not paying the Australia tax. Things are so expensive down here now that I couldn't believe how cheap the UK was when I last went back.

No worries, mate.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Ok, yeah when I said things I meant music stuff. Specifically american music stuff in america, charvel for one. You should see the price jump to get a charvel amp in britain. It's just, the size of America gives birth to so much potential so there are so many people making so much good stuff that is very fairly priced in the boundaries of the US. In the uk we've got a few blokes in their garage cranking out £2000 dream machines apparantly. Ok, I joke, but UK made quality music items are so often more expensive in the UK than US items in the US.

Makes me sad.

No worries, mate.

You should see what Marshall, Orange, Diezel, Framus, Engl and most other brands from Eu cost here, absolutely stupid prices IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It definitely depends on the brand.

I have an Agile 3100c that is really sweet, would recommend Agile. I've had similarly priced Epiphones that were much worse in terms of overall build quality as well as specs, so I view it as a good buy.

However, I got one of the SX kids guitars and it's crap. All kids guitars that I've ever owned have been cheap crap, so this was about the right amount of crappiness for the price, but I was hoping somehow it would be better because of my good experience with the Agile. At this point, I would not buy another SX, but I'd definitely buy another Agile.

As for the other brands, I can't say, but my gut tells me they may be more like the SX than the Agile (e.g., Douglas). But you can probably google reviews on them to find out from people who have had them.
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by Robbgnarly
You should see what Marshall, Orange, Diezel, Framus, Engl and most other brands from Eu cost here, absolutely stupid prices IMO

Yeah, the point I was making though is that US stuff in US seems to be a better deal than UK stuff in UK. UK stuff will usually be more expensive in US and vice versa.

For example, as far as I can see there is NO Rondo Music equivalent of which a lot of their stuff was going for below £1000. In the UK for custom guitars expect about £2000. They might be made with super extra special boutique materials or something but in the end, as long as it isn't terrible, a guitar's a guitar.
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
I'm looking at one of the SX "Liquid" guitars (about $139, I believe). At the prices they charge for the low-end stuff, it's way too easy to say, "What can I lose?"

I have one of those SX Liquid's with soapbar P90's, and it's a lot of fun to play. The neck is about the upper limit for my taste in thickness, but nothing too bad (my go-to guitars are my Peavey MIA Predator, T-15, T-25 and T-60, so that gives you an idea of my ideal neck thickness).

I bought the tremolo-bridge Liquid for myself, but decided to get the trapeze for my brother since I honestly never use the tremolo and he's a beginner, so he shouldn't be using it either. If I were going to do it today, I'd probably buy the twin-soapbar P90 with the usual TOM hardtail and bridge if that's an option currently available. If not, I'd go for the trapeze tail and TOM bridge.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Yeah, the point I was making though is that US stuff in US seems to be a better deal than UK stuff in UK. UK stuff will usually be more expensive in US and vice versa.

For example, as far as I can see there is NO Rondo Music equivalent of which a lot of their stuff was going for below £1000. In the UK for custom guitars expect about £2000. They might be made with super extra special boutique materials or something but in the end, as long as it isn't terrible, a guitar's a guitar.

You have Vintage Guitars which are comparable to Agile, just no custom options.

maybe you should start a company similar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by sasquatchjosh96

I'm not sure what you're saying there.

Rondo's "Custom Shop" seems to be essentially the prototyping shop at the manufacturing facility. It actually provides a LOT more options than, say, the Gibson Custom Shop ever did. I can get a neck-through LP-alike with any binding option (including "natural" and NO binding at all), with a variety of fretboard woods, with or without a full thickness maple cap, with any of several scales from 24.75" to about 30", with a wide or thin neck profile in addition to a standard one, with or without a Floyd, with stainless frets if I want them, and with a really wide range of finish choices. It's very possible for one of these guitars to come in around $1000 (give or take 20%, depending on options) fully loaded. A similar Gibson, of course, could be five or six times that. A custom-ordered Carvin LP-alike might come in at around $2K, would allow fewer construction options but a LOT more in the way of wood choices.

it's difficult to say "a guitar's a guitar" when you're discussing price ranges from $100 to over $5K, depending on the source. It's not just "super special boutique materials." Look up the specs on the Neal Schon Sig guitar from Gibson from about 10 years ago. This was a guitar that had an MSRP of $10K and a street of around $6500. The spec was outstanding and the entire production run sold out in minutes and Gibson will not make you another one at any price. No super special boutique materials here -- but the guitar was a lot different from anything Gibson was offering in their then-current production.
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure what you're saying there.

Rondo's "Custom Shop" seems to be essentially the prototyping shop at the manufacturing facility. It actually provides a LOT more options than, say, the Gibson Custom Shop ever did. I can get a neck-through LP-alike with any binding option (including "natural" and NO binding at all), with a variety of fretboard woods, with or without a full thickness maple cap, with any of several scales from 24.75" to about 30", with a wide or thin neck profile in addition to a standard one, with or without a Floyd, with stainless frets if I want them, and with a really wide range of finish choices. It's very possible for one of these guitars to come in around $1000 (give or take 20%, depending on options) fully loaded. A similar Gibson, of course, could be five or six times that. A custom-ordered Carvin LP-alike might come in at around $2K, would allow fewer construction options but a LOT more in the way of wood choices.

it's difficult to say "a guitar's a guitar" when you're discussing price ranges from $100 to over $5K, depending on the source. It's not just "super special boutique materials." Look up the specs on the Neal Schon Sig guitar from Gibson from about 10 years ago. This was a guitar that had an MSRP of $10K and a street of around $6500. The spec was outstanding and the entire production run sold out in minutes and Gibson will not make you another one at any price. No super special boutique materials here -- but the guitar was a lot different from anything Gibson was offering in their then-current production.

Well, to be more specific, what I want to say is that the UK doesn't seem to have a custom service that allows more midrange territory options which can be pretty damn good for the money. I've got nothing against the price of high end custom guitars, it's just that's all you're gonna get in the UK.

Even at that, custom guitars aren't my only gripe. Because of the lower demand for musical items in UK (inevitabley since there is a lower population) we don't have many smaller companies than fender, gibson or ibanez that come along like charvel who are offering some really decent amps for in imo an amazing price.

Sorry OP that a lot of the posts became this discussion. To get a bit back on topic, yeah I think those prices look right, I'd take advantage if I could get them :P
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly

At one point engl was cheaper in the USA than it was in Europe, IIRC We normally have to pay big prices for those things too- I'd say on average the USA is cheaper than Europe for guitar gear, it's not so much (a lot of the time at least) that the EU-made stuff is much cheaper here than in the USA, it's that the USA-made stuff is so much more expensive that it makes the local stuff seem more reasonable, when in fact it's often the same price (or similar) as it's sold for in America.

But absolutely, I dare say not everything is cheaper in the USA, and in general the USA-made stuff will be cheaper in the USA while the EU-made stuff will be cheaper in the EU. Just the EU stuff is not normally as much cheaper in Europe as the USA stuff is in the USA (sales taxes/VAT probably account for a fair bit of that, among other things).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Will Lane
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

A lot of their options are dirt cheap. Do the prices accurately reflect their quality? And why does the name on the headstock change so much? They never show a picture of the action so I am wondering about that. Maybe if you know how to set up a guitar properly, they are great buys.

I've purchased two guitars from Rondo over the years. The first one was an Agile LP style guitar. Every bit as good as a Gibson- Mahogany everything, maple cap, gotoh tuners. But unlike Gibson, they don't cut weight-reduction holes inside the body. Many guitarists prefer this, citing better sustain, but it was just too heavy for me, so I eventually sold it.

The second was a SX Hawk - Vintage series, mahogany body, P-90 pickups, TOM bridge. Amazing guitar, it was just over a hundred bucks. Feels and plays great. Of the 8 electric guitars I have owned, it is one of the only 2 I have kept.

Don't discount Rondo- even his cheap stuff is quality.
I purchased an SX constellation Leo a few years ago when they were doing a winter blowout sale. I paid 79 bucks + shipping for it. Was about 120 to my door in Canada with (If you're in America, you can just get a gig bag and save yourself the cost of shipping an oversized case LOL).

The necks feel really nice. A bit on the chunky side (not a bad thing) but it's comfy. The neck is finished as well (other local options are mostly unfinished necks in that price range). Also from what I can tell (haven't checked in a bit) it has a 1 piece neck. Not to say there wasn't any downside. The frets needed a ton of filing cause they were sharp as balls. It wasn't so bad in the 1-5 position but past the 7th fret, you would be bleeding by the time you finish playing (and not from your tips either!).

Sound wise, it was passable but not inspiring. You get some cheapo ceramic pups that get the job done I guess but you get no sparkle or anything great. 2-4 positions were super muddy. Not particularly fantastic sound wise. Body I think was like 3-5 pieces of cheapo ash.

After a bit of elbow grease they turn out as pretty awesome guitars. I ended up parting the guitar out but I STILL use that neck on my 80s 1 pup Kramer style guitar because I love how it feels.

So, If you are somewhat knowledgeable at working on guitars, I think the SX line can be pretty nifty. If you're the type that sends a guitar to the shop to get everything done, then it might not be worth it to grab an SX.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Based on the great Agile reviews on this forum I bought an Agile AL2000 earlier this year. All the positive comments were %100 correct. I ordered it with a very nice hard shell case and with shipping my total was $316. I own an older Gibson LP and four Epiphone LP's and the Agile AL2000 is nearly as good as any of them (better than some). I played it two weeks ago at a gig and a player I know (slightly) from another band asked to look at it while I was packing up. I plugged it in and let him have a go at it for a few minutes. He was blown away especially when I told him what I paid for it. He just spent big bucks on a 2015 Gibson Les Paul. While I'm sure his Les Paul is better he was very impressed.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 2, 2015,
I have had a few experiences with Rondo

Owned a Douglas Wt-445, guitar was beautiful but had some high fret issues that caused a lot of buzz and some dead frets high up on the board, having only paid $112 for the guitar it wasn't worth getting the fret leveling done. I put up with it for a while but it didn't tend to get played so I parted ways with it.

Own an SX Furrian with a P90 in the neck, guitar was on sale fo5 $95 I think, after a set up and string change it is a great guitar, the neck is super comfortable and it has the loudest acoustics of any guitars I have (aside from my actual acoustic guitars). The tuners I will eventually change out and probably upgrade the pickups, at least the bridge at some point but that is to be expected with this price level. But the bones of the guitar are stellar, I won't be letting this one go.

I bought an Agile V for a friends birthday, and although I haven't had extensive hands on with that guitar (he lives out of province) that guitar has been a solid performer for him.

After my SX guitar my father in-law bought and SX bass and that has been a great guitar as well.

So overall 75% of purchases were great with no issues.