So I'm still wanting to buy the Rockerverb MKIII 50 Combo but I've been hearing some disturbing things about combos. I've been told that tubes often last less long in a combo than in a head due to all the vibrations and such. I've even heard that in some combos if the tubes are too close to the speakers they can actually melt the speaker cone if the amp is on too long. Can someone please confirm this or put my mind to bed? I really want the combo, but if I have to get head/cab, I will.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
The first may be true, but isn't really a concern, the second is patently false.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
The first may be true, but isn't really a concern, the second is patently false.

this. Speaker cones don't melt.

certain tube types are sensitive to vibrations which makes them prone to microphonics and possibly early failure, such as the EF86. For this reason, EF86s are rarely used as preamp tubes in higher powered combo amps.

Most of the tubes more commonly used (12AX7, EL34 etc) should be fine in a 50 watt combo.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
So I'm still good to buy the combo? Because I'm not going to lie, I'm honestly blown the hell away by what I heard coming from that Orange. Won't have to even change to better speakers (it comes with V30's) By the way, 50 watts pushing two V30's will be able to get decently loud, right? I'm looking to jam pretty hard when the wife is away and I love loudness, but also with clarity.
6505+ Head
Tubes (valves) tend to go bad with use. With moderate use you should change them out at 6 to 7 months or even a year. If you play constantly you will notice tube fatigue in about 3 months. The preamp tubes are usually the first to go as power tubes tend to last longer, so I would start there before changing the power tubes. All the talk about combo amps being harder on tubes is rubbish.
Combo amps certainly can be more sensitive to microphonic tubes, for obvious reasons. This is pretty easy to experience for yourself, if you have a few amps of each type. Sometimes a tube on the edge of microphonics can be dropped from a combo into a head, and will often behave for a bit longer (though not usually years and years).

So in a way, it's true to say that some tubes do not last longer in combos under some circumstances. Vox type amps, especially those with EF86 tubes which go microphonic at the the drop of a hat, can have noticeably shorter tube life in combos format. Whether the amp is just more sensitive or actually causes the tubes damage, I am not sure, although obviously a lot of rattling around is not good for them. It's not usually a huge issue, and that's really a worst case scenario.

In general, I wouldn't worry about it. Tubes die for a lot of reasons and vibration isn't usually at the top of the list, even in combos prone to lots of it. If it was such a huge problem you'd never see a high-end combo. Large manufacturers would be the first to stop making them, if they thought warranty returns were likely to be an issue.
Quote by AsOneIStand
So I'm still good to buy the combo? Because I'm not going to lie, I'm honestly blown the hell away by what I heard coming from that Orange. Won't have to even change to better speakers (it comes with V30's) By the way, 50 watts pushing two V30's will be able to get decently loud, right? I'm looking to jam pretty hard when the wife is away and I love loudness, but also with clarity.

Louder than you'll want to play it. Around 130db @1m when cranked, which is LOUD rock concert/jet airplane/hearing damage loud...

Pain begins for most people at about 125db.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The biggest problem with combos is that you can't use the low noise JJ ECC803 because they are prone to microphonics. On a high gain amp that can be a real PITA.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In rare cases a sensitive preamp tube will react in a combo. It did happen once gigging live over a 40 year period with 25 different combo amps. $10 and all was well again.

Buy the amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by kendall jones
Tubes (valves) tend to go bad with use. With moderate use you should change them out at 6 to 7 months or even a year. If you play constantly you will notice tube fatigue in about 3 months. The preamp tubes are usually the first to go as power tubes tend to last longer, so I would start there before changing the power tubes. All the talk about combo amps being harder on tubes is rubbish.

you are doing something seriously wrong if you are going through tubes that fast.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what these guys said....but head is still better

In what way?
6505+ Head
Quote by kendall jones
What preamp tubes are you putting in it because that's crazy, man. And a preamp tube should well outlast a power tubes, like about 4 or 5 to one. You can sometimes only get twice to three times as long out of a phase inverter, but still ........
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AsOneIStand
By the way, 50 watts pushing two V30's will be able to get decently loud, right?

I have a 50W Carvin Belair with two V30's. It gets hootcheeMAMA loud.
Hope your wife, upon her return, doesn't mind the paint melted off the walls.
Quote by Cathbard
What preamp tubes are you putting in it because that's crazy, man. And a preamp tube should well outlast a power tubes, like about 4 or 5 to one. You can sometimes only get twice to three times as long out of a phase inverter, but still ........

Yep, Kendall must be from another world. In my world power tubes last 5-10 years and pre tubes last 20-30 years unless one simply fails from defect. Tube life is also affected by amp design where a class "A" tends to wear out sooner due to hotter bias and continuous load while class "AB" tend to last longer. How much time an amp spends "dimed" also plays a role in tube life.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I never thought about heat from tubes affecting the paper of the cone. But it makes sense that a lot of heat could have an aging effect. Time to start a new myth about rotating your speakers every year.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It was a joke

But for me, I prefer amp heads and cabs over combos because they are sexier and easier to work on imo.

Lol sorry was drunk last night. Didn't get the joke. But, if they are about the same tonally, that's all I care for. Once I buy it, it's staying in the same spot. I just don't know what it is about the Rockerverb. I was dead set on buying a 6505 and now... That went out the window. Just something about the Orange that blew me away.
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
Lol sorry was drunk last night. Didn't get the joke. But, if they are about the same tonally, that's all I care for. Once I buy it, it's staying in the same spot. I just don't know what it is about the Rockerverb. I was dead set on buying a 6505 and now... That went out the window. Just something about the Orange that blew me away.

I haven't tried the MKIII, but I love my MKI. Great all around amps. The newer ones don't use the 6V6's tho, which is what really attracted me to the MKI. I'm sure its a killer amp!

I'm just waiting for L&M to get one in to try it out
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by red.guitar
I haven't tried the MKIII, but I love my MKI. Great all around amps. The newer ones don't use the 6V6's tho, which is what really attracted me to the MKI. I'm sure its a killer amp!

I'm just waiting for L&M to get one in to try it out

+1 i also have a 50mki and i love it. i also like the 6V6's, and that was the tipping point for me as well. i wish orange would go back to 6V6's again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/