Hey guys, I've written a song that I feel has some potential for some great lead guitar. Thing is i am not a great lead player as i play mostly rhythm. I was wondering if anyone was interested in having a go at putting some lead over this? I would really appreciate it! If you do fancy a go the song is in standard tuning and the chords are G, C and D and they don't really change throughout the song apart from when i play D for longer going into the chorus. Thanks in advance, and any tips on lead playing would be great to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEISK-s5O9c
maybe it's these laptop speakers but it sounds like what you really need is some bass
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
^ And drums.

Any tips for lead playing? Well, just trust your ears. Try to hear something in your head and try to play that. Maybe just record some different solos over it and use the best ideas from those takes.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
That beginning reminded me of that La Bamba song

It's really empty without that D+B backing. Electric isn't the best isolated instrument.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Okay so I don't have a bass guitar anyways, but what if I were to use my acoustic guitars top string just for reference, would that work or would it still sound too thin?
Strum with acoustic, not electric.

Also, um, get to know your terminology better. Top string is high E. "Top" is relative to notes, not height in playing position.
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
Okay so i attempted to add some lead, and bass with the low string^^, Like i say am not so great at lead as i play rhythem mostly. does this work with the song? I wont change it now anyway untill i take this into a studio to lay some drums down. Just need to find a great lead guitarist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRfamk9D_s
Top and bottom are opposites.
High and low are opposites.
FYI!

Basic Guitar Percussion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsVBasT389w
Quote by Jet Penguin
Quote by Hail
Quote by heaven086
Okay so i attempted to add some lead, and bass with the low string^^, Like i say am not so great at lead as i play rhythem mostly. does this work with the song? I wont change it now anyway untill i take this into a studio to lay some drums down. Just need to find a great lead guitarist.
I think you need drums and bass before you need a lead guitarist. Lead guitar is the icing on the cake. Leave it till last.

Depending on what recording gear you're using, you could use your guitar to add bass by lowering the octave after recording. E.g., raise the octave of the rest of the track, add a bass line on guitar, then drop the octave again. Instant bass guitar. (It still might not sound good, but it would give a bass player something to go on.)
you just made it louder. a good bassist would fill the sound out and handle all the lead movement for you.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
you just made it louder. a good bassist would fill the sound out and handle all the lead movement for you.

Cool man, like i say ive never played bass so truthfully i dont have a clue what am doing with it, plus i only used one string as well. I appreciate the advice though for sure
also actually listened to some of "the lead" and it's not adding anything and isn't even going to the right notes. i'd refrain.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
also actually listened to some of "the lead" and it's not adding anything and isn't even going to the right notes. i'd refrain.

Aye, this is exactly why i was asking for some help
I made some leads for you maybe you like it but they're in mp3 how do I put it here?
http://picosong.com/bDbE/
here it is
I screwed up often cuz I didn't know the piece but maybe you can use some
Last edited by João1993 at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by João1993
I made some leads for you maybe you like it but they're in mp3 how do I put it here?
http://picosong.com/bDbE/
here it is
I screwed up often cuz I didn't know the piece but maybe you can use some

Thanks for having a go man, ive just had a listen and i can hear the idea youre trying to come across with and i like it
Quote by heaven086
Thanks for having a go man, ive just had a listen and i can hear the idea youre trying to come across with and i like it

It's crap but maybe you like a line or 2 that I did
In the verse I would just play the same rhythm on bass as on guitar. In the chorus the bass could play more notes. But I wouldn't go too crazy with the bass part. I don't know if that would fit this song.

You can always program some drums.

I would keep the arrangement quite simple. To me the leads are kind of unnecessary. You could play a solo after the second chorus, but other than that, I don't think it needs lead guitar. Keep it simple because it sounds like a simple song.

I wouldn't change the electric to an acoustic. Or I don't think it's necessary. It would sound better on an acoustic if it was just guitar + vocals. But if you are going to add drums to it, electric will work just fine (and I would say better than an acoustic, just my opinion).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I suggested acoustic because guitar and vocals are all he has right now. Electric is too muddy to go by itself.

Still, plain strumming on electric leaves something to be desired. If/when drums are added, a more interesting rhythm guitar part would never hurt.

Quote by heaven086
I know dude...

Okay, next time it'd be less bizarre to stick to the same related set of words instead of morphing to a new set.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
I suggested acoustic because guitar and vocals are all he has right now. Electric is too muddy to go by itself.

Still, plain strumming on electric leaves something to be desired. If/when drums are added, a more interesting rhythm guitar part would never hurt.

Okay, next time it'd be less bizarre to stick to the same related set of words instead of morphing to a new set.

Dude, you're so defensive its not like I was having a go. I was just agreeing with you, and I typed top string in the heat of the moment when typing that comment instead of typing the bottom string
^ No, not at all. Teaching ESL comes with a lot of correcting things, and you gave a completely different answer, so I wasn't sure where you were coming from. Also, your use of "dude" strikes me as informal to the point of slight disrespect, whether you intend it or not, particularly since I'm not a guy.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Quote by Hail
Has anyone ever said you kind sound like David Bowie and Bob Dylan kind of mixed together? Believe me, that is in every way a compliment from me.
Quote by heaven086
Dude, you're so defensive its not like I was having a go. I was just agreeing with you, and I typed top string in the heat of the moment when typing that comment instead of typing the bottom string

don't worry just ignore her like the rest of us do
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Has anyone ever said you kind sound like David Bowie and Bob Dylan kind of mixed together? Believe me, that is in every way a compliment from me.

Ahh thanks man, I take that as a compliment for sure! but no one has really told me what i sound like as not many ppl hear my music unfortunatly
I think the song needs a good beat that is in the same groove as the rhythm of your strum & vocals. I don't see much need for a lead guitar part in this.

For this type of artsy pop rock stuff, I think at most you'd have a lead guitar embellish the vocals. So you'd probably want your lead guitarist to track the same melodic line as the vocal melody, with minor variation.

Or, if you want a solo guitar part, read an article on chord tone soloing and then stick with that, and it's not going to be that hard with only three chords.
Bernie Sanders for President!