Page 1 of 2
It wants your firstborn
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

your name is lyle lol

http://www.behindthename.com/name/lyle/comments

I know a girl named Lyle, and for that reason I find it quite feminine. I'm sure if the only time I heard it was on a guy, I would find it masculine, but since my first impression of it was for a girl it just seems to fit for a girl to me.
-- DorktasticKelly 12/13/2008

This name sounds pretty shady...
-- codenameflame 2/28/2012

This name is weird, but I like it for some reason.
-- michelle.ramirez 4/25/2012

i have no incentive to call you 'rapture' now
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Nov 30, 2015,
Facebook doesn't know who I am, so they want me to upload a picture of my state issued ID before they'll let me log into my account.
It's not phishing either, this is something facebook actually does if they suspect you're not who you say you are, or have been using an alias.

I rarely used it anyway, never touching that toxin again, honestly I wish facebook would fail hard and mark would go bankrupt, I hate how he thinks he's so important, that he can't even have hobbies, because he's changing the world, and doing things for himself would be selfish.

Prick did nothing but steal code, create a site for student bodies, then later turn it into an open social network data mine.
Last edited by stratkat at Nov 30, 2015,
Quote by stratkat
Facebook doesn't know who I am, so they want me to upload a picture of my state issued ID before they'll let me log into my account.
It's not phishing either, this is something facebook actually does if they suspect you're not who you say you are, or have been using an alias.

I rarely used it anyway, never touching that toxin again, honestly I wish facebook would fail hard and mark would go bankrupt, I hate how he thinks he's so important, that he can't even have hobbies, because he's changing the world, and doing things for himself would be selfish.

Prick did nothing but steal code, create a site for student bodies, then later turn it into a data mine.

And you're jelly you didn't think of it first.

Just like the rest of us.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
It wants to continue the mission and it'll kill your colleagues before it tries to lock you out the spaceship and-
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Hmm, well before it gets too strong just poor water on it. Technologies kryptonite.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
Quote by stratkat at #33707964

Prick did nothing but steal code, create a site for student bodies, then later turn it into an open social network data mine.

DG showed us some stats from his band's page the other day, they did that thing where you pay a quid a day to promote your updates and stuff

so out of the 1250 people that like his page, only 50 people saw the post "organically" and 722 people only saw it because he paid for them to see it. This is people that have actually liked the page too, so it's not just random people seeing it on their timeline for no reason.

Disgusting company

Quote by Trowzaa
so out of the 1250 people that like his page, only 50 people saw the post "organically" and 722 people only saw it because he paid for them to see it. This is people that have actually liked the page too, so it's not just random people seeing it on their timeline for no reason.

Disgusting company

If it's not random people who see it then who? Seriously, I find it interesting how Facebook operates, but I don't understand this.
this
Quote by MetalMullet
If it's not random people who see it then who? Seriously, I find it interesting how Facebook operates, but I don't understand this.

They'll probably get the page author/owner to tag it, and it'll be shown to people who have liked pages with similar tags.

It's not exactly brain science or rocket surgery.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by MetalMullet at #33708026

The people who actually like the page. You'd expect them to see it on their timeline without paying, wouldn't you? Nope. Gotta pay otherwise only 5% of your followers will see it apparently.

At least I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. I'll get him in here to confirm/deny.

Last edited by Trowzaa at Nov 30, 2015,
Quote by Trowzaa
The people who actually like the page. You'd expect them to see it on their timeline without paying, wouldn't you? Nope. Gotta pay otherwise only 5% of your followers will see it apparently.

At least I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. I'll get him in here to confirm/deny.

Oh, so you mean if I have 1000 friends only a snippet of them will se what I post? And if you pay this company suddenly it will appear on everyone's timeline?

That's werid 'cause I always thought the main point of Facebook was to ram everything down our throats that people post.
this
Last edited by MetalMullet at Nov 30, 2015,
Quote by MetalMullet
Then it is random people?

Well, it'll be a (sort of) random selection of users drawn from a subset of users who have liked similar pages. So, significantly less than random.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Trowzaa
Disgusting company

I don't really care about FB but this does not making them "disgusting" by any measure. They're a business with investors to answer to. They need viable streams of revenue. They have all the rights in the world to charge anyone they please for using their platform, especially when those people are businesses themselves aiming to gain more business on said platform.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33708041
Well, it'll be a (sort of) random selection of users drawn from a subset of users who have liked similar pages. So, significantly less than random.

Steve said it was people that actually like his page already

Quote by Xiaoxi at #33708042
I don't really care about FB but this does not making them "disgusting" by any measure. They're a business with investors to answer to. They need viable streams of revenue. They have all the rights in the world to charge anyone they please for using their platform, especially when those people are businesses themselves aiming to gain more business on said platform.

Blocking 95% of people who like your page from seeing posts you make unless you pay them is pretty grim.

Quote by Trowzaa
Steve said it was people that actually like his page already

Blocking 95% of people who like your page from seeing posts you make unless you pay them is pretty grim.

Well, I'd have known that if I read whole threads like a super turbo nerd.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Trowzaa

I guess it's kind of fair considering the fact that they (the band) are using Facebook to earn money. Just like every other je...I mean corporation, they want their share. But it makes you wonder how often they block information for other purposes.
this
Quote by Trowzaa

I don't agree with it, but it's still hardly "disgusting". Bottom line... pages are businesses and connecting with your audience as a business is marketing and marketing isn't free.

Why don't you direct your rage at something actually reprehensible like Yelp extorting businesses for better ratings.

Quote by MetalMullet
it makes you wonder how often they block information for other purposes.
I recently read an article that essentially showed most information is blocked. There are thousands of posts/activity every hour in an average user's network and FB's algorithms determine which are most relevant / shows up in your feed.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 30, 2015,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
And you're jelly you didn't think of it first.

Just like the rest of us.

Zuckerberg didn't even think of it first, he just stole it, he was paid to program a similar site, but didn't hand over the code for months to the people who'd commissioned it. Facebook 10 years ago was segregated into school networks, that's what gained it's popularity over myspace, some people felt weirded out by strangers adding them and/or contacting them over the internet.

They threw away this buisness model and made the site open game after they thought they could compete with myspace.

The only original site mark ever made was a hot or not site for his college campus using pictures of students without permission.

Zuckerberg is human garbage.
Last edited by stratkat at Nov 30, 2015,
Yo, so yeah to clarify what Trowzaa said:

That image was the overview for the reach of a post about a recent weekend of gigs, I paid £4 to promote it (£1 per day) because I was already aware how this happens, but essentially FB filters newsfeeds for various reasons (some will be under the assumption people like a lot of pages and have a lot of friends and will not be able to keep track of their newsfeed if everything is shown... possibly true).

We have around 1,250 likes on FB and only 50 saw it 'organically' (which means, it would have appeared to their feed anyway... but I'm not even sure whether this is individual times the post appears to anyone, or if it counts once per person) despite more than that many people interacting with the page in the past few months. I'm aware 1,250 may not all be genuine active accounts, but we never spam the page or invite people to it, so I'd imagine we have a far higher percentage of genuine likes than many band pages on a similar level.

722 people saw it via paid 'boosting' - for those not running pages, when you promote a post (the ones that show up as 'Sponsored' in feeds) you have a series of options, 'those who like the page' is one... so you can pay to allow those who already like the page to actually see it... great :/ You also get the option of a target audience (you get an age range, and I believe you can set keyword filters for similar interests/'likes' or have FB choose what they think is appropriate), or the option I choose which is 'those who like the page, and their friends' with the intention that friends with similar tastes may see it and either recognise us and follow, or check the band out at least.

So yeah, ultimately I was only moaning to friends about it but as Tom shared it here (I'll let you live ) I was just pissed off that such a small percentage of people see stuff from pages they like and FB has a clever situation where it's probably the number one promotional tool for independent artists at the moment (as Twitter's profiles are lacking and stuff like reverbnation aren't widespread among general public enough) meaning they understand that even though they charge for fairer reach to a fanbase, bands will still pay it because there is little alternative.

On the flipside, I look at it as money spent on PR, and on the small-scale it's like the cost to print flyers to hand out at gigs, 90+% of which will just get dropped on the floor or in bins. You pay for the small percentage you (hopefully) reach out to.

That's all you're getting from me on the matter
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Well, that plus this

Quote by MetalMullet
I guess it's kind of fair considering the fact that they (the band) are using Facebook to earn money. Just like every other je...I mean corporation, they want their share. But it makes you wonder how often they block information for other purposes.

Well, the question there is "Is Facebook earning us money?" - obviously it's a platform to keep fans up to date with things and inform them of gigs etc., but most of our money comes from merch sales at gigs (far from enough to make a living from, might I add - we put the money back into the band ) and people wouldn't buy it if they thought we were shite, so while Facebook is helpful it doesn't directly earn us money in a major way. Considering they don't charge users to let their friends see their posts, is it a far stretch from charging pages to have people see their posts (and FB doesn't differentiate between pages for musical artists, companies, or random spam things and jokes that are in no way making money).

Essentially, I feel they realised they could make money from it so they are, but as I concluded with above - ultimately, it can be considered paid PR so while it's unfortunate they shifted from a free model to a 'free... but better when paid for' model, it is something understandable because there's not many businesses out there who care more about their customers than their profits.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Pretty much this.

You're not entitled to a facebook page. If they decide to charge you to expand the visibility of the content you're hosting on their platform for free, so what?
Quote by TheChaz
Pretty much this.

You're not entitled to a facebook page. If they decide to charge you to expand the visibility of the content you're hosting on their platform for free, so what?

It's more the way they moved from a free site to a paid platform bit by bit, gradually reducing the reach of pages without telling them, than the fact you have to pay.

At least, that's the general consensus among people I know who run pages
Quote by DisarmGoliath
It's more the way they moved from a free site to a paid platform bit by bit, gradually reducing the reach of pages without telling them, than the fact you have to pay.

At least, that's the general consensus among people I know who run pages

It's definitely a "good thing coming to an end", which affects not only the page owners themselves but even the audience...sometimes I want to see things but they're not being shown on my feed due to the algorithms, but that's the way it goes I guess. It's a free site, I'm not entitled to anything.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's a free site, I'm not entitled to anything.

Sure, but they still make shitloads of money on your "free" participation. Without the numbers, Facebook wouldn't be a business. So it's not unreasonable to expect something in return.

DisarmGoliath: Never underestimate the power of old school PR. I'd say almost 1/3 of all the shows I've been to was because of flyers or posters that was put up somewhere in town. If you're not consciously looking on Facebook for a gig to attend, I'd say information tends to be pretty easily overlooked. The whole layout is just a big fucking mess. In other words, I wouldn't merely rely on Facebook when it comes to promoting my band. Also, don't give them any more money.
this
Who would have imagined
that people would voluntarily type everything into a huge government file
their friends
their connections
where they were at what time with who doing what
not to mention your dreams
your likes
your girlfriends
a database on YOU
etc.
^ Right... ok then.

Quote by MetalMullet
Sure, but they still make shitloads of money on your "free" participation. Without the numbers, Facebook wouldn't be a business. So it's not unreasonable to expect something in return.

DisarmGoliath: Never underestimate the power of old school PR. I'd say almost 1/3 of all the shows I've been to was because of flyers or posters that was put up somewhere in town. If you're not consciously looking on Facebook for a gig to attend, I'd say information tends to be pretty easily overlooked. The whole layout is just a big fucking mess. In other words, I wouldn't merely rely on Facebook when it comes to promoting my band. Also, don't give them any more money.

Oh, of course yeah - but I just look at it as one of several PR routes. We do the whole flyers, posters in venues ahead of playing there etc. and before last album release we ran an ad in the largest metal magazine over here (not cheap at all, btw!) but I think these days you can't just ignore the role of social media. There's quite a few people (especially the ones who've seen us at parts of the country we rarely get to) who can only really follow us online and if we don't make an effort to keep them informed that limits our ability to expand outside our local scene.

Additionally, even though paying to briefly boost posts every so often might seem like diminished returns - the more people that see a post, the more chance it'll be interacted with (likes/comments/shares + viewing the page as a result) and for these people interacting with the post or looking at the page it means FB will place our content at a higher priority in their news feeds for however long until other stuff usurps our ranking in their algorithms, and that means more people are likely to see the more important content (like new shows, or updates on new album) as well as meaning our posts reach more people 'organically' before we consider boosting a post.
Lyle Theodore Odelein (born July 21, 1968) is a retired Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman. He played for the Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils, Phoenix Coyotes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers and Pittsburgh Penguins
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Why is it being so nice to me

Facebook likes you posting stupid and trivial shit, keep up the good work lyle.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I don't ever post on Facebook though

But you have an account and go there to read stupid and trivial shit, keep up the good work lyle.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Or maybe just to talk to my friends

Do you know what a friend is?

shut up.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Try disabling your account, and watch as it says "I'm sorry Lyle, I'm afraid I can't do that".
Quote by Diemon Dave
I only have facebook for free game codes.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Try disabling your account, and watch as it says "I'm sorry Lyle, I'm afraid I can't do that".

In Pierce Brosnans voice.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Eat your sandwich lyle.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I only have facebook for free game codes.

In Pierce Brosnans voice.

Was thinking more Douglas Rain, but whatever.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 2