Page 1 of 2
Someone is selling a used line6 spider .. amp for 280€ (a new one is around 400€or a bit more) now im wondering if an amp like that is good to use in a band.
is it versatile enough?
has lots of sounds is that yay or nay?
how do you switch between them when you need to switch it fast
should i wait and get something better?

really grateful for all the help
Its not a great amp. If I were you, I would skip it, save my money and buy something I wont hate the sound of in half a year.

Long story short, they sound okay for higher gain stuff and metal stuff, sound pretty bad for everything else. The effects arent anything to write home about and you will probably find most of the built in patches useless. You could make them sound good but IMO your money would be better spent elsewhere.

What kind of music do you play? Are you in a band now or just planning to be in one? What would be your budget and your location?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
What kind of music do you play? Are you in a band now or just planning to be in one? What would be your budget and your location?

well i like to play (atleast would like to im kinda bad) blues-rock-metal-(pink floyd dont know which style of music that is)
i'm currently in a band but we haven't really started doing anything cause my 10w amp won't really get over a drummer we would play rock and blues probably.
and my location isn't really an issiue since i am able to order from thonman.uk
(excuse my english and the large number of ))()) )
Well if you can just buy off Thomann these are probably worth looking into (but a bit above your budget)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head_bundle.htm?ref=mobile

Its a bundle so you get everything you need.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm?ref=mobile

More wattage but you will need a cabinet as well.

Im not really too familiar with what is cheap/available commonly in Europe but if you dont mind buying used gear, you could probably find some sweet deals locally.

But yeah, Im sure the European regulars will chime in and give some other suggestions.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 1, 2015,
is a 50w head even loud enough? and how is the quality of jet city? my budget for amp head is like 550 maybe even 600€ i can build a cab by myself
Run Forrest run! A "great deal"on a Spider is no deal at all. It will begin to hurt your ears after a few hours of play and become unbearable after a few weeks. Pick a different amp. If you like modeling, look at Vox valvetronix for more vintage tone or Vypyr for more modern hi gain.

Prefer real tubes instead of digitally simulated tone? Vox AC 15, Laney, Jet City, Orange.
Avoid the pitfall that catches nearly every newbie: Chasing high wattage. Watts don't matter much, tone matters. 20 tube watts is enough to gig and your guitar will sound awesome instead of awful.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by TIP_Matthew
is a 50w head even loud enough? and how is the quality of jet city? my budget for amp head is like 550 maybe even 600€ i can build a cab by myself

Loud enough for what? The 20 watter is plenty loud for most things so the 50 will be fine for you even if you were playing bigger shows. You 100 percent dont need 100+ watts to be heard.

As for build quality, I cant really speak for it (as I dont own one) but I dont think Ive heard of many issues on that front.

So your budget is 600 euro for just the head? You probably have quite a few options in that case.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Cajundaddy

Avoid the pitfall that catches nearly every newbie: Chasing high wattage. instead of awful.

i giggled at that one :P
but the problem i face is that i need something loud to go over a drummer yes a small amp is enough to gig since you mic the amp but probably not loud enough for a hard hitting drummer (if i'm correct?)
i was also looking at tube amps even if they are combos but don't really know what brand or whatever to look for since i'm not so sure a fender could deliver that high gain sound if i wanted it
No, it's not worth it. It's not worth half that. It's not worth half of half that. If that.

More seriously, if that's your budget there are several much more worthy amps to consider.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Loud enough for what? The 20 watter is plenty loud for most things so the 50 will be fine for you even if you were playing bigger shows. You 100 percent dont need 100+ watts to be heard.

wow i didn't know that i thought a 100watt amp should just about do it this really helps my choices now haha thanks
(as you may see i don't know much about amps)
Quote by TIP_Matthew
i giggled at that one :P
but the problem i face is that i need something loud to go over a drummer yes a small amp is enough to gig since you mic the amp but probably not loud enough for a hard hitting drummer (if i'm correct?)
i was also looking at tube amps even if they are combos but don't really know what brand or whatever to look for since i'm not so sure a fender could deliver that high gain sound if i wanted it

Negative. I gig frequently with a 15w Fender combo or 30w Mesa. No mic needed and we are damn loud, often too loud and asked to turn down. My drummer runs a tour quality DW kit, bass has a 600w rig and keys run a 1000w bi-amp system. If you want to play pub gigs 15w tube is probably all a guitarist will ever need. Jet City, Orange, and Laney will deliver crushing hi gain metal at low wattage. Give em a look and ignore everything over 30w if money is tight. On an unlimited budget, buy as much wattage as you want and just turn it back down to 15w.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Negative. I gig frequently with a 15w Fender combo or 30w Mesa. No mic needed and we are damn loud, often too loud and asked to turn down. My drummer runs a tour quality DW kit, bass has a 600w rig and keys run a 1000w bi-amp system. If you want to play pub gigs 15w tube is probably all a guitarist will ever need. Jet City, Orange, and Laney will deliver crushing hi gain metal at low wattage. Give em a look and ignore everything over 30w if money is tight. On an unlimited budget, buy as much wattage as you want and just turn it back down to 15w.

wow i'm actually surprised and i feel like my fender mustang 1 isn't even close to being loud enough its probably cause of the tubes then
Quote by TIP_Matthew

Unless you are playing in a stadium with no PA, 50 watts is more than loud enough.
Hell, 30 watts is loud.
Take an AC30, turn the volume up halfway and the 50 watt and max the volume and the Vox will drown out the 50 watt amp, without even trying, and do it cleaner.
Quote by TIP_Matthew
wow i'm actually surprised and i feel like my fender mustang 1 isn't even close to being loud enough its probably cause of the tubes then

Wattage is wattage, although a 15w tube amp will put out a good bit more than the rated power when driven to distortion.

That being said, the more common problem with entry-level solid state amps is that they have crappy speakers, which can massively limit their overall volume capability.

Quote by CodeMonk

Take an AC30, turn the volume up halfway and the 50 watt and max the volume and the Vox will drown out the 50 watt amp, without even trying, and do it cleaner.

Dude, you know I love ya, but this is crap. Not even Vox can override basic physics and you're smart enough to know it.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Dec 1, 2015,
so what you are all basically saying is that 15-30watts is enough but most of the amps are still expencive (looking at tube ones)
so far i found Randall RD 20 H some bugera amps but i know nothing about those brands
and a orange micro terror but i don't know if that one is good or not
The Jet City bundle mentioned above is probably your best bet. It's got two channels and is decently versatile (good distortion, average cleans imo, nice package all in all).
It's also available as a combo if you prefer that:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca2212_guitar_combo.htm
I'd rather have the seperate head and cab though.

On the cheaper side, there's this:
http://www.thomann.de/de/laney_cub12r.htm
Only one channel and not as much gain on tap as the JC, but should be nice for some blues-rock type of tones. Haven't tried it, but clips and recordings of it seem nice, and it's an all-tube amp for very little money.

The Fender Super Champ X2 is probably also worth a look:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_super_champ_x2.htm
I've only tried it's predecessor, the XD, which was seriously good for the money, I guess the X2 won't be much different. It's a modeller with a tube power-amp. Really nice clean tones, but the JC has the better distortion imo.

It's also worthwhile to look out for any shop that still has a Bugera V22 in stock. Dunno where prices went with those, but I think up to 300€ for a new one would be fair.

Otherwise, it all depends on your budget. You location would play a huge role if you were to buy used, which would also massively increase your choices.

And finally: 15w of tubes is enough for some permanent hearing damage. You buy bigger power amps because they provide a different sound, not really for volume.

Quote by CodeMonk

Whaaaaat?
Looking at Vox schematics, I can't really find anything that would allow them to defy physics - just bog standard EL84 power-stages.
Quote by TheQuailman
The Jet City bundle

The Fender Super Champ X2

i was looking at the fender super champ but for some reasons i'm really scared of amps with presets and i'm not sure if that one has it
and for jet city JCA50H sounds nice i have to look at some videos though
i did listen to a video of a 100HDM and i thought it was horrible so i'm not really sure about what to do now

for now ill take a look at some combos aswell
Quote by TIP_Matthew
Someone is selling a used line6 spider .. amp for 280€ (a new one is around 400€or a bit more) now im wondering if an amp like that is good to use in a band.
is it versatile enough?
has lots of sounds is that yay or nay?
how do you switch between them when you need to switch it fast
should i wait and get something better?

An amp like that will work fine in a band.
It's definitely versatile enough.
Lots of sounds yay.
Switching between the user presets quickly is done with an FBV Shortboard (it's a Line 6 foot pedal that connects using what amounts to an ethernet cable). They're $199 new, about $99 used. Ask that "someone" if he has one to toss in on the deal.
Whether you should wait and get something "better" depends on two things. What do you think might be "better" for what you're doing and what's it going to cost you?

This one particular forum likes to bash Line 6 Spider amps, in part because the cheaper versions are beginner practice amps. The favorite amp in these forums is a Peavey 6505, a high-gain metal-directed tube amp. Bear that in mind when you're considering any of these responses.
Quote by dspellman

This one particular forum likes to bash Line 6 Spider amps, in part because the cheaper versions are beginner practice amps. The favorite amp in these forums is a Peavey 6505, a high-gain metal-directed tube amp. Bear that in mind when you're considering any of these
responses

haha :P i noticed that people like high gain tones

i started considering Jet City JCA20HV its supposed to be loud enough (20watts) and it has a nice sound (youtube videos)
what do you think about it?
Quote by TIP_Matthew
so what you are all basically saying is that 15-30watts is enough but most of the amps are still expencive (looking at tube ones)

Not all. I have 5, 18, 50 and 100W tube amps (I'm trying to remember if I have anything else in that range). I can guarantee you that the 50W tube amps I have will work fine with an agressive drummer if (as often happens) the PA system is reserved for vocals only. The 18s won't. A 30W is usually "give or take" adequate.

If you're playing in a band, there's probably no reason to buy a tube amp and several reasons not to. I'm working with a 9 lb 1500W power amp, a modeler and a speaker cabinet weighing just over 40 lbs that will handle 900W@ 8 ohms and that will reproduce anything from about 35Hz to over 18Khz. I don't require miking (most modelers and higher-end modeling amps have outputs that can go direct to the PA mixer).
Quote by dspellman
An amp like that will work fine in a band.
It's definitely versatile enough.
Lots of sounds yay.
Switching between the user presets quickly is done with an FBV Shortboard (it's a Line 6 foot pedal that connects using what amounts to an ethernet cable). They're $199 new, about $99 used. Ask that "someone" if he has one to toss in on the deal.
Whether you should wait and get something "better" depends on two things. What do you think might be "better" for what you're doing and what's it going to cost you?

This one particular forum likes to bash Line 6 Spider amps, in part because the cheaper versions are beginner practice amps. The favorite amp in these forums is a Peavey 6505, a high-gain metal-directed tube amp. Bear that in mind when you're considering any of these responses.

Frankly, all of the Spider amps, excepting perhaps the Valve, are beginner practice amps. Some are just louder than others. Line 6 makes some great gear, but pretending the Spider amps are anything but amateur hour is pretty silly.

The 6505 is not my favorite amp, that would be either my 5e3 or Triumph, although the 6262 is surprisingly versatile.

And the gear you're fronting is relatively expensive for the OP, don't you think?
Charles Darwin
I like your comment about having enough power to "get over the drummer". Welcome to the band world. Whatever amp you buy you'll fight with the drummer and it's a shame because while you are searching for the right tone and dynamics you'll still be drowned out by a loud drummer who has no sense of dynamics. Sorry about the rant but it's a pet peeve. About half the drummers I have ever worked with have one volume, loud!
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by dspellman

If you're playing in a band, there's probably no reason to buy a tube amp and several reasons not to. I'm working with a 9 lb 1500W power amp, a modeler and a speaker cabinet weighing just over 40 lbs that will handle 900W@ 8 ohms and that will reproduce anything from about 35Hz to over 18Khz. I don't require miking (most modelers and higher-end modeling amps have outputs that can go direct to the PA mixer).

While these rigs do make sense (I've used modellers and cab sims live myself), a really good modeller will cost easily as much as a mid-level tube amp around the 15-30w mark.
Add in the cost of a good power amp and suitable cabinet (and depending on the modeller, a cab sim), and you arrive at costs that equal those of a professional tube set-up.
I also don't understand why you brought up your setup's wide frequency range; guitars don't require anything nearly as wide.

Now I think rigs like that have their place, as they are very versatile. But they are also complex, requiring a lot of time to learn all their functions, and they are a nightmare to troubleshoot, particularly on stage. For a kid who just wants to play some rock and blues, they are definitely over-kill. For that kind of music (and beyond a beginner's budget), small tube amps are still the standard solution, because they deliver the required sounds without much hassle.

And Spiders are still mediocre. The "I'm tired of my Spider" threads have been consistently popping up in this forum since it's inception.

Quote by dspellman
The 18s won't.

Depends on a lot of factors.
In a death-metal band in a large practice space with an enthusiastic drummer? Nah.
But in their natural habitat - rock and blues, paired with decently efficient speakers (as they usually are) - you're going to be fine.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by TheQuailman
While these rigs do make sense (I've used modellers and cab sims live myself), a really good modeller will cost easily as much as a mid-level tube amp around the 15-30w mark.
Add in the cost of a good power amp and suitable cabinet (and depending on the modeller, a cab sim), and you arrive at costs that equal those of a professional tube set-up.
I also don't understand why you brought up your setup's wide frequency range; guitars don't require anything nearly as wide.

Now I think rigs like that have their place, as they are very versatile. But they are also complex, requiring a lot of time to learn all their functions, and they are a nightmare to troubleshoot, particularly on stage. For a kid who just wants to play some rock and blues, they are definitely over-kill. For that kind of music (and beyond a beginner's budget), small tube amps are still the standard solution, because they deliver the required sounds without much hassle.

And Spiders are still mediocre. The "I'm tired of my Spider" threads have been consistently popping up in this forum since it's inception.

Couldn't agree more.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Spider, Marshall MG, and Fender Frontman are all in the same category. They are really dirt cheap, look decent, have really cheap speakers, lots of bells and whistles, sound ok when squeaky clean, and just godawful when driven hard or pushed with pedals. I have suffered through the Spider and Frontman many times when we showed up for a location gig and they were my backline. Always a painful experience for a player who appreciates great guitar tone.

For searing metal guitar under $500, Laney, Orange Dark Terror, or Jet City Are a sure thing. Buy used if needed but these are the low cost tube amps with balls and metal mojo.

Tone is everything. Chasing watts is strictly for noobs.

i think i've found something i like its the jet city JCA20HV thingie 20 watts 300€
i like the tone of it ( youtube videos ) now the only question is what to pair it with (1x12 or 2x12?) and if it will be loud enough :P
1x12 or 2x12 won't change the volume of the amp. It will change the tone and how full it sounds, but the volume will be the same. Up to you.

20watts is loud enough for a band. I used to use a 15watt Traynor amp for my band. Plenty of volume, the only thing you won't get at that volume is squeaky cleans. Your amp will naturally overdrive as it gets louder, so clean tones will be harder to get at higher volumes. Thats up to you how clean you want your clean tones. Dave Gilmour (of Pink Floyd) uses amps that are known to be very clean even at high volume (Hiwatt amps $$$). Other famous blues rock guitarists (Hendrix, Jimmy Page, etc) used Marshall amps that got dirty when you turn them up. Both options can work really well, so its up to you what you want.

The ability to turn your amp up without having it break up (natural overdrive) is called headroom. A general rule of thumb is more wattage, more headroom. However, the types of tubes, the circuit, and the speaker itself all contribute to the headroom.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Your amp will naturally overdrive as it gets louder, so clean tones will be harder to get at higher volumes.

i knew this part but thanks for saying all the others things i'm still quite a "noob" at these things.
I have a couple more questions though
-Whats the presence knob
-will a 20w tube amp be louder then a solid state 20w amp (simply yes or no no explaining needed)
Quote by Most_Triumphant
1x12 or 2x12 won't change the volume of the amp. It will change the tone and how full it sounds, but the volume will be the same. Up to you.

20watts is loud enough for a band. I used to use a 15watt Traynor amp for my band. Plenty of volume, the only thing you won't get at that volume is squeaky cleans. Your amp will naturally overdrive as it gets louder, so clean tones will be harder to get at higher volumes. Thats up to you how clean you want your clean tones. Dave Gilmour (of Pink Floyd) uses amps that are known to be very clean even at high volume (Hiwatt amps $$$). Other famous blues rock guitarists (Hendrix, Jimmy Page, etc) used Marshall amps that got dirty when you turn them up. Both options can work really well, so its up to you what you want.

The ability to turn your amp up without having it break up (natural overdrive) is called headroom. A general rule of thumb is more wattage, more headroom. However, the types of tubes, the circuit, and the speaker itself all contribute to the headroom.

Wrong.

A 2x12 will be 3db louder than a 1x12 (assuming the same speakers) at the same input wattage. 20w through a 2x12 will be as loud as 40w through a 1x12 (again, assuming the same speakers).

Quote by TIP_Matthew

-will a 20w tube amp be louder then a solid state 20w amp (simply yes or no no explaining needed)

Sorry, but it's not a "yes or no" question. If they both have the same speakers and both are actually pushing 20w, then the volume will be the same.

But a tube amp will produce MORE than the rated wattage once it begins to distort, which will make it louder than a 20w rated solid state amp through the same speaker(s).
Charles Darwin
A 2x12 will be 3db louder than a 1x12 (assuming the same speakers) at the same input wattage. 20w through a 2x12 will be as loud as 40w through a 1x12 (again, assuming the same speakers).

Could you explain this for me? This is the first time I've ever heard that. I've always been told that it doesn't affect the volume.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant

Could you explain this for me? This is the first time I've ever heard that. I've always been told that it doesn't affect the volume.

Doubling the speaker cone area increases the volume by 6db, but since you're also halving the wattage to each speaker you reduce that by 3db for a net gain of 3db.

1x2 > 2x12 +3db
2x12 > 4x12 +3db
4x12 > Full stack +3db

A 16w amp played through a full stack will be louder than a 100w amp through a 1x12 or a 50w through a 2x12.

Of course there are a few assumptions made, but that's the basic math. Going to a good 2x12 is often one of the most cost effective ways to get an amp that's "almost" there, volume wise, to do what you want it to.
Charles Darwin
15w loud enough for live metal? turned up to 11 right? not on this mortal plane. di'd into the house pa sure, but then you'll look silly. besides what would Halford do if you showed up with your thrifty little combo? he would kick your ass. there's standards to be maintained here.
Last edited by ad_works at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by Arby911 at #33709592
Doubling the speaker cone area increases the volume by 6db, but since you're also halving the wattage to each speaker you reduce that by 3db for a net gain of 3db.

1x2 > 2x12 +3db
2x12 > 4x12 +3db
4x12 > Full stack +3db

Why does doubling cone area increase volume by 6db? Sorry for all the questions.
Quote by JD Close
Quote by ad_works
15w loud enough for live metal? turned up to 11 right? not on this mortal plane. di'd into the house pa sure, but then you'll look silly. besides what would Halford think if you showed up with your thrifty little combo? he would kick your ass. there's standards to be maintained here.

Rob Halford wouldnt give 2 shits.

Id rather sound good. You can keep your looks and perception
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Why does doubling cone area increase volume by 6db? Sorry for all the questions.

Too much to post here, but I've got a good link I'll PM you if I can find it. The math is relatively simple, as is the mutual coupling effect. You can probably find it with a quick google search faster than I can find my link.

Edit: Here's the math link

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/adding-decibel-d_63.html
Charles Darwin
Quote by ad_works
there's standards to be maintained here.

Like sounding good?

I prefer larger power-amps for most things metal, as they usually have a more stable/controlled low-end (it's hard to put this into words).
However, I think the smaller amps are fine for old-school stuff like Priest or Maiden, where a heavy bass isn't all that important imo. I play that sort of music through a modded to hell 18w head through a 2x12" or 1x12", depending. Sounds good enough to me.

That said, even for modern high-gain tones I'd rather have a small amp that sounds good than a big one that sounds like arse.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Rob Halford wouldnt give 2 shits.

Id rather sound good. You can keep your looks and perception

so you think that you can't have "looks" and sound too? unfortunately rock n' roll is a visual medium as well. other genres admittedly not so much though.

this is why your icon is randy rhoads and mine is a flying bat right?
Quote by ad_works
so you think that you can't have "looks" and sound too?

He never said that. Nice strawman, numbnuts.

You can have a big, impressive looking amp that sounds good. Just costs a bit more money.
Quote by ad_works
so you think that you can't have "looks" and sound too? unfortunately rock n' roll is a visual medium as well. other genres admittedly not so much though.

this is why your icon is randy rhoads and mine is a flying bat right?

I never said that...

Yeah and when Randy had that polka dot guitar, he wasnt some noob trying to learn how things work. He was in a professional touring band and trying to make it big and garner some attention. If you still think its a similar situation then I dont know what to tell you.

Either way. This isnt the place for that discussion.

Quote by TheQuailman
He never said that. Nice strawman, numbnuts.

You can have a big, impressive looking amp that sounds good. Just costs a bit more money.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Arby911 at #33709644
Too much to post here, but I've got a good link I'll PM you if I can find it. The math is relatively simple, as is the mutual coupling effect. You can probably find it with a quick google search faster than I can find my link.

Edit: Here's the math link

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/adding-decibel-d_63.html

thanks!
Quote by JD Close
Page 1 of 2