Hey, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to find a good pedal to match with my amp to get a fairly bright and well-rounded distortion. Some bands whose sound I like are The Faceless, Obscura, Beyond Creation, etc..

So, I don't have a lot of money to invest, but I want to get a stepping stone kind of deal so I can at least work with what I have. My amp is a Crate GTD65, and my guitar is a standard SA220FM(2007). I've tried to Metalzone T-2 in various configurations: through the clean channel, and through the crunch, and turning down the distortion on the pedal.

Now, the main issue is that the clarity of things washes out, especially with alternate picking riffs. It sounds really faded back and bassy, or gets really screechy, and the mids are lost. I've played around a bit, and was hoping to find a better pedal to remedy this for now.
I know you said you don't have that much money to spend but please consider saving up for a good amp. With that get rid of the metalzone for starters. For those genres of music what I do is run a tubescreamer in front of my amp to boost/tighten and throw an EQ pedal in my FX loop. Most pedals won't do much with that amp but the one that should be the most effective is the EQ. I recommend the MXR 10 band EQ over anything if you can get it. If you're on a budget the danelectro fish n chips isn't a bad choice either.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25