Hello,
Sorry if this is not the place to ask this question.
I want to note that I am not here to troll or disrespect the guitar instrument, I am just curious about something I was thinking about.

I'll just cut to the point - Why should we need a guitar(any kind) if a keyboard synthesizer can achieve the same sound of every instrument and has pretty much endless options.
Is there any aspect/sound/technique that a normal guitar can achieve that a synth can't?
I even saw people playing a synth and thanks to technology are able to vibrate their finger on the key board and achieve a vibrato effect like on the guitar.
Again, I am not asking this to disrespect the guitar instrument, on the contrary, I really want to get back to playing my guitar and it's something that bugged me.

Thanks
Last edited by marcrosenfeld1 at Dec 1, 2015,
Cause keyboard guitar emulation sounds like ass unless youre super inexperienced. Thats why.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't think that you actually know what a synthesizer is.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I used to think the same thing

but you can't play slide synth and it's a lot easier to play really fast notes of the same pitch on a guitar

also the range you can cover on a guitar in a period of time is far better for long ranges
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
IMO modeling (synth and what-not) is not at the level yet to sound just like a guitar. Even high-end guitar modelers are not exact to what an experienced guitar player would say a real guitar sounds like. And then there is another aspect of feel. And playing guitar chord intervals on a piano can be awful. So really:

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Cause keyboard guitar emulation sounds like ass unless youre super inexperienced. Thats why.

But yeah you have noticed that synth and midi-stuff is replacing a lot of the real instruments. It is a lot easier to have a full band in a single keyboard and some software. Strings, drums, piano, etc. are replaced by highly-shaped sound waves or digital samples. But a lot of those samples can be recordings of the real instrument.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by Pastafarian96
I used to think the same thing

but you can't play slide synth and it's a lot easier to play really fast notes of the same pitch on a guitar

also the range you can cover on a guitar in a period of time is far better for long ranges

lol 'playing' notes

what year is it?
Quote by tateandlyle
lol 'playing' notes

what year is it?

a year in which people still want to put effort into things for now
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
a year in which people still want to put effort into things for now

work smarter inirrr
Quote by tateandlyle
work smarter inirrr

this is the only good argument for the eradication of RIM
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Pastafarian96
this is the only good argument for the eradication of RIM

and tame impala
Quote by tateandlyle
and tame impala

lol my best friend would hate you so much
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Synths/keyboards just sound mostly crap at emulating guitars. I'm not saying they cant work in a certain song/arrangement (because they can) but overall there is really no substitute for a real guitar & player. I love Synths by BTW.

Anyways...Why have a Synth emulate a guitar when you can have a guitar emulate a synth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m0zXSxZoho
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Dec 1, 2015,
Quote by marcrosenfeld1
Hello,
I want to note that I am not here to troll or disrespect the guitar instrument, I am just curious about something I was thinking about.

I'll just cut to the point - Why should we need a guitar(any kind) if a keyboard synthesizer can achieve the same sound of every instrument and has pretty much endless options.
Is there any aspect/sound/technique that a normal guitar can achieve that a synth can't?
I even saw people playing a synth and thanks to technology are able to vibrate their finger on the key board and achieve a vibrato effect like on the guitar.
Again, I am not asking this to disrespect the guitar instrument, on the contrary, I really want to get back to playing my guitar and it's something that bugged me.

Thanks

You may imitate the guitar but you will not replace all the nuances og the strings
sunaj
lol what a stupid question.

can you make a synth sound as a raw and emotional as, lets say, david gilmour's solo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDC3ade3JxU

fk no, THE GUITAR SOUND is means to be PLAYED BY A GUITARIST.

not a computer.

good music has always been created by real people with real talent, a machine can only do so much before sounding fake.

guitar synth =/= real guitar tone
(wood, strings, finger tips flesh, intonation, amp warmth, microphone warmth, etc)
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Synth doesn't sound like any "real" instrument. Well, today's technology can get kind of close so that it works on gigs and gives a similar effect - it's close enough. And then there are certain kind of VST instruments that can get really close. But those are only used in studio. They really can't be used live because there are so many small nuances in the sounds of "real" instruments. You just can't model those with a keyboard. In studio you can program all dynamics and articulations and everything and it will sound really close to a real instrument. But live it would be a hassle. You would need to be turning the knobs all the time and it would be really impractical and very hard to play. Way over complicated. A modeling synth is always a compromise.

Also, different instruments feel different to play. Certain kind of licks are easier to play on a guitar than on a keyboard. And also vice versa. And you can't really mimic the different ways you can strum the guitar. Or you could, but it would require tweaking the knobs all the time. Maybe a basic palm muted rock riff could work. But as I said, it's about the small nuances. You may not pay attention to them, but you will definitely hear when they are not there.

If you want a guitar sound, why not use a real guitar? I think that's the question. I understand if one or two of your songs have some brass or string parts. That's when I would understand using a synth. Because brass or string players may be harder to find (and most of the time you use a brass or string section, not just a single player). And that's how synth is most of the time used. But guitarists are easy to find, and usually you don't need many of them.

But yeah, it's about the small nuances that a synth can't really mimic. There are endless ways of strumming the guitar. A synth can't really model all of those at the same time. It's just not practical. Again, works in studio where you can program everything, but not live. You can get a passable guitar, drum, brass, string, whatever sound. But the real thing will just sound better. And guitarists are not hard to find. Keyboardists who want to mimic guitarists may be harder to find. So why not just use real guitar? It's a lot more practical that way. One player can't play all parts (in a band) so it really doesn't matter whether you have two synth players (one of which plays the guitar part on synth) or one synth player and one guitarist in your band.

But yeah, synth usually plays all the less common instrument parts - that's pretty common on gigs. There's no point in replacing the guitar, because guitarists are everywhere. As I said, it might be harder to find a synth player that wants to play guitar parts than an actual guitarist. But not everybody can find/afford a real brass and string section, so in that case synth is more practical (considering that you only need strings and brass in a couple of songs) - you just want a sound that gets the job done. If it's mostly in the background, it doesn't matter that much. But still real instruments would be preferable in all cases.

Synth can of course be used as its own kind of instrument. It doesn't need to mimic other instruments. And I like that - use new sounds creatively. If you want a guitar sound, find a guitarist. If you want a drum sound, find a drummer. It just sounds better that way. Otherwise you are just compromising.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by marcrosenfeld1
Hello,

Thanks

My dear child,

Of course there is no disrespect taken at your sincere question. As a member of the computer generation I can understand how you may feel the possibility may exist that we, as humans, can harness their incredible power to do anything. As wonderful as this would be, it is simply not true.

Put simply there are some things computers can do and some things they cannot. I will leave it for you to decide if a computer can replace a musician.
Quote by yope
I will leave it for you to decide if a computer can replace a musician.

analog synths successfully replaced musical performers and acoustic instruments in the 80s

digital synths are a whole nother league
Quote by Eastwinn
analog synths successfully replaced musical performers and acoustic instruments in the 80s

digital synths are a whole nother league

I know more about what you're talking about than you do and that's not saying much.

I was tired of playing with other musicians in bands for a multitude of reasons I won't go into. I could write a long book.

So I ventured into the world of step writing music into what is known as a sequencer. It's just a little computer that has all types of voices.

First off the drums weren't that bad if you painstakingly step wrote every measure. You could use a pattern for a few measures but to make it sound like music you had to program in slight human like changes, in other words. Listen to the song and what the drummer's doing and copy it. This entailed making the snare louder here and there changing the beat accenting different things here and there I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

The bass wasn't too bad either like the drums step write 3 pieces of information per note.
1. What note
2. How loud the note will be
3. How long the note will sound ( had to make sure the gate was proper ,very important )

then came the other instruments, piano strings synthesizers etc.

then when I was done it sounded good almost like the song. In some ways better than the original song.

I played many gigs like this and it sounded impressive. I had a very good and powerful sound system, 1200 W stereo high quality power into two massive speakers.

Then I realized it was just karaoke a very interesting version of karaoke.

I spent 10 years doing that and I learned an awful lot about music. One thing I learned is that when you replace musicians with computers it mimics it pretty good and it takes all the joy and magic out of music and turns it into a gross robot a bastardized version of music.

I also learned most kids playing with computers to make music don't know anything about music. They know a lot about computers they do not know what makes music sound like music.

To realize this all you have to do is spend your life becoming the best musician you can and then listen to that shit they think is music.
Last edited by yope at Dec 3, 2015,
Quote by yope

To realize this all you have to do is spend your life becoming the best musician you can and then listen to that shit they think is music.

Anyone that sets themselves up as the arbiter of what is, or is not, "music" is wrong.

Not may be wrong, or might be wrong, or perhaps mistaken, just wrong.

You should know better.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Anyone that sets themselves up as the arbiter of what is, or is not, "music" is wrong.

Not may be wrong, or might be wrong, or perhaps mistaken, just wrong.

You should know better.

okay Arby I use the same strategy on you though I know more about music than chess.

Anyone who says every sound in creation may be interpreted as music is wrong.

I'll save you the extra words.

To write more effectively we use as few words as possible.

Check
Quote by yope
okay Arby I use the same strategy on you though I know more about music than chess.

Anyone who says every sound in creation may be interpreted as music is wrong.

imagine it though
Quote by tateandlyle
imagine it though

there are pleasant sounds that most of us like but may not be considered music . The sound of rain on the roof is very pleasant but does not have a melody or any harmonization or even a beat. It may have some of the factors of music. A structure, soft at first then hard etc. I can see no way it would have an arrangement.
No, can't imagine that as music.

Extremely unpleasant sounds such as your next-door neighbors giant antique jet engine loud central air-conditioning unit situated 10 feet away from your window cannot even be imagined to be imagined musical in any way. It's just a constant drone of ugly noise, like hip-hop, no dynamics, no melody no harmonization . Air-conditioner has the advantage of no digital distortion from being recorded too hot or no analog distortion from somebody pushing their Chinese PA system too hard. It's a nice clean racket.
Quote by yope
It's just a constant drone of ugly noise, like hip-hop, no dynamics, no melody no harmonization

your extreme age is showing gramps
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
your extreme age is showing gramps

Yeah, but it's not that I'm old ,that stuff really does suck.

When compared to mediocre music that stuff sucks. When compared really great music?
Holy shit !
what do you like the rolling stones or some old man shit like that
Quote by yope
there are pleasant sounds that most of us like but may not be considered music . The sound of rain on the roof is very pleasant but does not have a melody or any harmonization or even a beat. It may have some of the factors of music. A structure, soft at first then hard etc. I can see no way it would have an arrangement.
No, can't imagine that as music.

Extremely unpleasant sounds such as your next-door neighbors giant antique jet engine loud central air-conditioning unit situated 10 feet away from your window cannot even be imagined to be imagined musical in any way. It's just a constant drone of ugly noise, like hip-hop, no dynamics, no melody no harmonization . Air-conditioner has the advantage of no digital distortion from being recorded too hot or no analog distortion from somebody pushing their Chinese PA system too hard. It's a nice clean racket.

imaaaaagine it though