Page 1 of 2
Found this trash TV episode of an old daytime talk show. This episode is about punk music and whether or not being punk is okay. You don't have to watch it but it's pretty funny so you should.

To what extent does the way you dress, whether it be emo or scene or punk or gangsta, reflect your values? Can people adequately judge you based on the way you dress?
nah

i've met people who dress like they have been homeless for the last 6 months, and they come off as very nice, intelligent, well-read people

and i have met some very well dressed peope with master's degrees/own a few boats, etc and they are absolute cunts, and say the dumbest chit you'll ever hear come out of someones mouth.

the way you dress does not reflect anything, other than your personal style.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Old people are just the worst.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
How we dress is one of the first things people see and judge us by so people tend to dress in how they want to present themselves to the world. That shows what kind of person they are to a certain degree so it's okay to judge them on that

tldr: it's ok to make fun of fedoras
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 1, 2015,
telling on people isn't punk either
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
What's funny is now all those punks from that panel are now old people and are trying to get their kids to stop listening to rap and dressing like gangsters
Quote by JustRooster
4 parts? Do you think this is a game?

You just have to watch like a minute of one of them.

I actually watched most of all of them. I think that people have always found it easier to assign culture to themselves rather than participate in it. It's the same with spiked hair as it is with spiderman t-shirts, the world spins on.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
i'm not a punk
how can i be?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I've met sweethearts that were "punk". It's just a stylistic/musical preference. Kids liked it because it annoyed their parents. Now it's rap. The difference being it takes some musical talent at least to play punk. Unless you are Sid Vicious, but I digress.

I've never liked people who judge others character based on their clothes/appearance. It disturbs me people can be so shallow.
bumping bradthreads: should it be punishable by death?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
One Saturday, I took a walk to Zipperhead. I met a girl there and she almost knocked me dead.
punk music and old people?

Great thread shout out to Donahue the OG liberal catholic punk
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by EyeNon15
What's funny is now all those punks from that panel are now old people and are trying to get their kids to stop listening to rap and dressing like gangsters

At least punk is better than most rap music. Most rap music is about cars,women,life in da hood,drugs and such and the rapper using the N word constantly.
Last edited by Axelfox at Jul 12, 2017,
Quote by Axelfox
At least punk is better than most rap music. Most rap music is about cars,women,life in da hood,drugs and such and the rapper using the N word constantly.

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
bradulator I'm 47 and I'm still a punk.  

Quote by Fat Lard
 Old people are anti-1st Amendment, nothing to see here

Thank you for displaying your complete ignorance of what the 1st amendment is.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Jul 12, 2017,
Quote by jugglingfreak
bradulator I'm 47 and I'm still a punk.  

Thank you for displaying your complete ignorance of what the 1st amendment is.

i hate to say lardo is right about anything ever, but he's not wrong

it's been a big thing in the punk scene as far back as the 80's when cops raided shows.

and in New Brunswick, NJ more recently

so yeah, right to assemble, free speech: Reagan era obscenity/vulgarity witch hunts, the PMRC.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i hate to say lardo is right about anything ever, but he's not wrong

it's been a big thing in the punk scene as far back as the 80's when cops raided shows.

and in New Brunswick, NJ more recently

so yeah, right to assemble, free speech: Reagan era obscenity/vulgarity witch hunts, the PMRC.

Nope.  Read the First Amendment:
 Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. 

The first 5 words are the key.  "Congress shall make no law"  

1) PMRC was not a government group (even though Tipper Gore was married to, then senator, Al Gore), nor was it pushing for any laws, They were asking the RIAA to voluntarily adopt, originally a rating system, then just the advisory sticker.

2) It's not the "Right to Assemble" it's " right of the people peaceably to assemble" and "peaceably" is open to interpretation and has to be considered in conjunction with local laws and ordinances.

3) the "Obscenity" law passed in 1990 just removed federal funding for NEA for things that didn't meet their standard.  Funding for the NEA is not a right, and they do have a right to say what they will grant money for.

Also, When publicly displayed, and removed.  It must be determined if it is a Government owned  "designated public forum." If it is then public officials have violated the First Amendment rights on the individuals. However, it is not a "designated public forum",  then government officials have the right to exclude and or censor the work.

Also, Privately owned establishments have a right to refuse whatever they wish provided it doesn't violate civil rights laws.

4) If anyone felt they were unfairly denied any of that, the have the right to "petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

So, no, neither of you are correct.
ok mr oldpunk
Quote by k.lainad
nah

i've met people who dress like they have been homeless for the last 6 months, and they come off as very nice, intelligent, well-read people

and i have met some very well dressed peope with master's degrees/own a few boats, etc and they are absolute cunts, and say the dumbest chit you'll ever hear come out of someones mouth.

the way you dress does not reflect anything, other than your personal style.

yeah what this guy said
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Punk music isn't okay. Being punk also isn't okay, but at least that's the point.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
Not all old people were against rock music. Dee Snider actually was in a court case trying to debunk what the PMRC where talking about.

Quote by Axelfox
Not all old people were against rock music. Dee Snider actually was in a court case trying to debunk what the PMRC where talking about.

A Senate hearing isn't a court case.
Some hobbies/styles just aren't worth the endeavor at any point in your life tbh

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by slapsymcdougal
A Senate hearing isn't a court case.

I meant senate hearing. I remember my parents never liked rock music and tried getting me into country music. When much country talks about the same stuff as rock n roll. save a horse,ride a cowboy. and much country music talks about getting drunk. 
Quote by seanlang01
Some hobbies/styles just aren't worth the endeavor at any point in your life tbh
ok
i'm posting this again because
Quote by seanlang01

Says who?  Who is the arbiter of what hobbies/styles are worth it and which are not?  
Wanna talk about punk music and old people? 

Watch this (this is phenomenal):
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

punk is for old people (80s punkers referred to in those shows are in their 50/60s by now tho)

all the old non-family or work people I know are wrinkly old punks.

on that note the whole "it'll look crap when you're old" argument against tattoos is dumb because you're gross and wrinkly anyway so it doesn't change shit. piercings legit make them look worse though.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
bumping bradthreads: should it be punishable by death?

nah.

any necrobumping is fine imo as long as it's not abused. I would've made a big rule about it if it I didn't enjoy it to some degree.

Quote by bradulator

To what extent does the way you dress, whether it be emo or scene or punk or gangsta, reflect your values? Can people adequately judge you based on the way you dress?

pretty much nil. I usually dress well (default is button down shirts, skinny chinos and desert boots) am into metal and hardcore shit but I'm not into the gross metalhead or crustie look even though I vibe with their values. I do sometimes do the band shirt thing and combat boots but that's just for gigs with moshing because I know my normal clothes would get ruined. though on the second question, a lot of people peg me as a snobby douche when I'm dressing normally, which is a correct assessment.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
i've mentioned it a few times, but this thread seem appropriate for a repeat:

i have this Dead Kennedys "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" armband/patch sewed onto this hoodie and i've had it for at least 7 years. swastika with a "no" symbol over it.

probably not something i'd choose to purchase at this point in my life, but i still wear it because it's a piece of clothing that fits and isn't completely falling apart.

when i do wear it, i get some amusing reactions. elderly people especially. i tend to be more courteous/considerate and go out of my way to hold doors open for people at stores etc, and whenever i'm wearing that hoodie i get hilarious double takes from people who probably don't quite register that it's an anti thing and think i'm the most polite Nazi ever.

one kid at a Quick Check turned pale for a moment and told me he thought i was the NJ white supremacist guy who's been in the news for naming his kid Aryan Nation and Adolf Hitler or whatever.
Quote by jakesmellspoo

i have this Dead Kennedys "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" armband/patch sewed onto this hoodie

Funny, I just bought my DK tickets for this November.  No Jello, but who cares, I get to see some of DK play DK songs for 26 bucks.
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Page 1 of 2