http://www.guitarcenter.com/BC-Rich/Pro-X-Custom-Mockingbird-Electric-Guitar-Black-Metalflake-1371482104208.gc

I know about Fender, Gibson, and Epiphone...but I've never played a BC Rich guitar. How good are they? In comparison to my Mexican Strat...would this be better, worse, or what?

I like the way the back of the guitar looks. Looks comfy. The neck looks great and I like the access to the higher frets, but that body is fugly.

Is $299.99 a good price for this git? Does BC Rich have QC problems or will I get something that can play well straight out of the box?

Please answer in the next 3 hours and 30 minutes The sale ends soon.
nothing overly fantastic on paper. pickups aren't the best, mediocre trem (although probably better than most in that price range).

a lot of the shit on behalf of BCR was on the old bronze series and lower end series. they have gotten better, but they wouldn't be my pick.

you could do a lot worse.

i would try to get your hands on one first thats just me though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the input. I won't be able to get my hands on one before the sale ends, unfortunately.

I'll take a pass on this one. Thanks again.
Quote by TobusRex
Thanks for the input. I won't be able to get my hands on one before the sale ends, unfortunately.

I'll take a pass on this one. Thanks again.

no worries.

i have seen a similar model on MF's stupid deals quite regular for the same price. i would scope it out there when you have the cash.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I played an IronBird BC Rish before and it was OK... the neck is somehow similar to my Ibanez RG... I believe these guitars are good now...
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
If it's good enough for Slash it'll be good enough for mere mortals.

I would say to have a go though, personally I'm not a big fan but I know a lot of people are very fond.
Quote by T.A.Z

I would say to have a go though, personally I'm not a big fan but I know a lot of people are very fond.

I've already got it. Minus the Slash part Thanks for the tip though!

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Slash-AFD-Les-Paul-Special-II-Guitar-Outfit.aspx
Last edited by TobusRex at Dec 2, 2015,
"Good" and "BC Rich" in the same sentence....nope
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by T.A.Z

Slash plays one made by their custom shop, it's probably like $3000. He definitely doesn't play a $300 import, haha.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by CustomAxe

and this is based on what? now you are correct that Slash doesn't play an import and actually the US made ones are closer to $5000. i've been playing BC Rich's on and since the 80s and i assure you they do make some good to great guitars even in the import range. most of their good guitars are neck thru and can compete with other guitars in their price brackedt very well. check out the NJ Classic series and the Exotic series from a few years back real nice guitars. i currently play a NJ Classic eagle which is an excellent guitar. now the necks aren't for everyone and i always recommend trying them first. sure some of the cheaper bolt ons aren't great but overall quality has improved significantly in the last 10 years or so.
Quote by monwobobbo
and this is based on what? now you are correct that Slash doesn't play an import and actually the US made ones are closer to $5000. i've been playing BC Rich's on and since the 80s and i assure you they do make some good to great guitars even in the import range. most of their good guitars are neck thru and can compete with other guitars in their price brackedt very well. check out the NJ Classic series and the Exotic series from a few years back real nice guitars. i currently play a NJ Classic eagle which is an excellent guitar. now the necks aren't for everyone and i always recommend trying them first. sure some of the cheaper bolt ons aren't great but overall quality has improved significantly in the last 10 years or so.

Agreed. I have experience with the NJ Deluxe line and those are absolutely incredible for the price. EMGs, Floyd Rose 1000, Ebony fingerboard, neck through construction, and only around $750-$850 depending on the model. Dang nice guitars.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Damn, BC Rich is a divisive brand! Such diverse views on the quality of the instruments.
Quote by TobusRex
Damn, BC Rich is a divisive brand! Such diverse views on the quality of the instruments.

well BC Rich much like Dean kinda shot themselves in the foot back in the late 80s -90s. they both started out as basically boutique brands (70s-early 80s) but then started to do the import thing. early imports were japanese made and were still considered good guitars. once tehy got popular they started to make guitars for the low end market in korea (back when they first started to make guitars there, now korean made usually means good). well the quality was often poor and they became associated with the low end market. US made BC Rich's were and still are fantastic guitars (but very expensive now). in the early 2000s they got on the ball and started to make some nice guitars which for the most part are neck thru and most feature ebony fretboards. even their lower end guitars did improve. sadly the idea that they are all crap is an internet thing that keeps going even though many who promote it haven't actually played any of the nicer BC Rich's or even any at all.
Quote by monwobobbo
well BC Rich much like Dean kinda shot themselves in the foot back in the late 80s -90s. they both started out as basically boutique brands (70s-early 80s) but then started to do the import thing. early imports were japanese made and were still considered good guitars. once tehy got popular they started to make guitars for the low end market in korea (back when they first started to make guitars there, now korean made usually means good). well the quality was often poor and they became associated with the low end market. US made BC Rich's were and still are fantastic guitars (but very expensive now). in the early 2000s they got on the ball and started to make some nice guitars which for the most part are neck thru and most feature ebony fretboards. even their lower end guitars did improve. sadly the idea that they are all crap is an internet thing that keeps going even though many who promote it haven't actually played any of the nicer BC Rich's or even any at all.

Lots of truth here. The sad thing about today´s affordable BC Richs is that they´re pretty well made guitars with unbelievably crappy pick ups, IMHO. My MiK Mockingbird sounded like mud mixed with mud with some mud added and then topped with mud. Enter a DiMarzio PAF from the late 70s and I had a whole new guitar.
Quote by kentuckyklira
Lots of truth here. The sad thing about today´s affordable BC Richs is that they´re pretty well made guitars with unbelievably crappy pick ups, IMHO. My MiK Mockingbird sounded like mud mixed with mud with some mud added and then topped with mud. Enter a DiMarzio PAF from the late 70s and I had a whole new guitar.

yeah depends on what styles you use them for. the stock pups in my Eagle actually do blues rock really well. i have noticed and metnioned that in high gain situations that the BDSM pickups do get mushy and lack definition. my first BC Rich bought in the early 80s came stock with dimarzio super distortions and it sounded fucking great. only guitar that i let go that i honestly regret doing so.
Quote by CustomAxe

I lol'd
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by monwobobbo

They all have their cheap models but, you nailed it, and the crappy era of Dean was the end of DBZ through Tropical Era. Elliot Dean the new owner has turned that around IMO. The Korean made guitars today are on par with 90's quality MIJ as well if you ask me. The internet hate I find more times than not are broke kids (15-25 not all , but in my experience) who are influenced by marketing and brand names rather than actual comparison within/across brands & bang for the buck.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Quote by TobusRex

To me this is a bad ass BC Rich @ mid grade price range and only $500.00 more than the one you asked about... you get a lot more guitar.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Dec 4, 2015,
I would definitely aim for a used Mockingbird ST or even Mockingbird Pro X Custom (the vintage black one with gold hw). A lot better than the one shown and probably the same price.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I had an NJ Bich years ago - thought it was a bloody nice guitar. Been looking for a Bich with a pointy headstock like that one but don't think they do them anymore
Cheap BC Richs are no worse than other entry-level guitars. Mid-range though are solid guitars made by World Musical Instruments in Korea, and are a better deal than other brands.
Quote by dthmtl3
Cheap BC Richs are no worse than other entry-level guitars. Mid-range though are solid guitars made by World Musical Instruments in Korea, and are a better deal than other brands.

Truth!

World is pumping out some of the best quality out there right now. These are a few companies who have or are currently using them.
1. DBZ/Diamond set neck models
2. BC Rich Mid-higher end neck-thru models
3. PRS SE's
4. ESP LTD neck-thru "Deluxe" models
5. Schecter higher end neck-thru models
6. Zakk Wylde's guitars(if they ever come to production)

Dean used World on some of its older models but in 2007 switched to UnSung
IMHO the UnSung (US) Korean factory is just slightly beneath in Mid -higher end Imports.
My newest addition,
Quote by Ikillintel
Truth!

World is pumping out some of the best quality out there right now. These are a few companies who have or are currently using them.
3. PRS SE's

IMHO the UnSung (US) Korean factory is just slightly beneath in Mid -higher end Imports.

interesting. good to know that that factory produces good guitars for others as well.
Quote by Chargrill3d
I had an NJ Bich years ago - thought it was a bloody nice guitar. Been looking for a Bich with a pointy headstock like that one but don't think they do them anymore

no they use the original style headstock for most of their original line of guitars. personally i greatly prefer the 3 x 3 headstock to the pointy one that came out in the 80s. cloud inlays look classier to (although the diamond ones can be sharp).
Quote by Ikillintel
Truth!

3. PRS SE's

Also, Agiles. Dean's parent company does get some of their guitars so I figure Dean must still use them as well.
Quote by dthmtl3
Also, Agiles. Dean's parent company does get some of their guitars so I figure Dean must still use them as well.

Agile are owned by Rondo Music. A lot of these manufactures use the same Korean factories to mass produce guitars. But like I said, currently Dean is using UnSung not WMI.

Dean Guitars is owned by Armadillo enterprises who also own ddrum and Luna Guitars.

Also C ###### is Cort factory so if you have an Ibby.
S is Samick
C is Cort
W is World Music Ins
Y is Yoojin China
US is UnSung
E is World
My newest addition,
Last edited by Ikillintel at Dec 8, 2015,
Quote by dthmtl3
Even this year Armadillo was still importing guitars from WMI.

Which ones?
My newest addition,