Hi folks

I have to admit that I neglected my guitar for years... I offered my guitar for sale few days ago and the first note came from the buyer is that "your guitar is amazing but it is too dirty"

The guitar plays well and the body has no single scratch but the hardware is really dirty.. bridge, frets and volume pot have greeny rust on them.. fretboard has some finger marks as well...

Can you please guide me through this cleaning process?
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
first get some gorgomyte cloths to clean the fretboard and frets (trust me it is worth it), but order direct from www.gorgomyte.com because it is cheaper. you can get it at most shops but it is under the GHS brand and 2x the price.

Then take all the hardware off that is tarnished and put it in a bath of CLR cleaner. you can apply it with a rag/tooth-brush, but submerging will get the best results.

Then buff with guitar wax

Remember most people don't like dirty things, unless they are strippers

The volume pot also? you might want to solder another in place. They are only $3
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 2, 2015,
Your pots might not need replacing, try some electrical contact cleaner spray on them first, cheaper and less of a ball ache to do.
I used a wrong term actually.. I mean the knob is dirty not the pot itself
The pot is working fine with no noise at all
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by donaldo17
Your pots might not need replacing, try some electrical contact cleaner spray on them first, cheaper and less of a ball ache to do.

Contact cleaner is $12 a can a volume pot is $3. Yes it is good to have contact cleaner on hand, I was giving him a cheaper way out to sell the guitar

^
pull the knob off and clean it in warm soapy water
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by esky15
The buyer knows he can clean it as well right?

He uses it for bargaining

I didn't sell it to him anyways... I may keep the guitar and put DiMarzio pickups in it instead of the INF pickups it has
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

this is one of the best guitar clean and setup walk through on the net.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Add the word relic to the ad for the guitar.Problem solved.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I buy and sell lots of guitars. If someone brings a dirty guitar to a trade it makes me think if they couldn't care enough to take 5 minutes to clean the guitar between string changes, did they take good care of their guitar at all.

A dirty guitar is worth less than a clean one in my eyes and in the eyes of many of the collectors I routinely trade with. Take some pride in your toys for goodness sake.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
Quote by ppiluk
I buy and sell lots of guitars. If someone brings a dirty guitar to a trade it makes me think if they couldn't care enough to take 5 minutes to clean the guitar between string changes, did they take good care of their guitar at all.

A dirty guitar is worth less than a clean one in my eyes and in the eyes of many of the collectors I routinely trade with. Take some pride in your toys for goodness sake.

Agreed. If I have to clean off someone elses dried on sweat, grime and dead skin then I ain't paying top dollar.
I agree ppiluk & SpiderM, how the owner presents it says a lot about what your getting.

Thrashedlostfdup, I personally would not block the trem / clamp the bar like he does in those images. A pink eraser does the trick. I totally get what he's saying though.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.