I please want to know how they get this right.
Like what effects are mostly used, what should the levels of the bass/middle/treble be, etc?

Most importantly I want to know what they do (note-wise) like is there a particular mode, or scale they use; or a specific approach or what?

Thanks
a TS9/TS808 as a boost, a compressor and a Marshall style amp with a Dimarzio Super Distortion or Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the guitar.

Lots of guys in the 80's also used the neck pickup for leads
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by kennethkotze
I please want to know how they get this right.
Like what effects are mostly used, what should the levels of the bass/middle/treble be, etc?

Most importantly I want to know what they do (note-wise) like is there a particular mode, or scale they use; or a specific approach or what?

Thanks

80's rock ballad sound?? just plug into any amp modeller and it's usually the first 30 presets.

Seriously though, it's normally just a slightly overdriven guitar with delay ( start at about 400ms with 4 repeats) , reverb, and sometimes chorus. Your eq settings are irrelevant - just set them flat.

Scales - it's always either minor pentatonic with some notes of the minor scale thrown in, or major pentatonic with some notes of the major scale thrown in ( depending on if the riff is in major or minor).
could you post some youtube vids of the type of solos you mean? or even just list the songs and I can look them up*. Also what gear are you using?

* There's a fair chance know how to play the solo already but that sounds cooler.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't have very good gear:
I have an Aria STG-series
Laney LX12 (I think 15watt amp)
And I only have aG1on efftects/looper pedal.

So I think I should get better equipment.
Would it help if I just get a better pedal - maybe a chorus pedal, or would I need a better guitar?
Quote by kennethkotze
I don't have very good gear:
I have an Aria STG-series
Laney LX12 (I think 15watt amp)
And I only have aG1on efftects/looper pedal.

So I think I should get better equipment.
Would it help if I just get a better pedal - maybe a chorus pedal, or would I need a better guitar?

I would start with getting a better amp.

even something like a used Peavey Vypyr 30 would get you much closer to those tones. They run $75 used here
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate