When you fret a note, for example with your pinky, do you put all four fingers down on the string, or do you just put the one finger down?

Is there a right/wrong technique to use here?
Depends on what I played before and what's next.
For example, if I was going to pull off to the fret with my index finger then it makes sense for me to place them together.
One finger unless I've fretted one above for quick switching. Example: I have Am fretted but have my pinky on the B string 3rd fret (doing a run). I lift the pinky and am back to Am.

Sorry, musically ignorant, wish I could explain better.
Quote by iamadoorknob
When you fret a note, for example with your pinky, do you put all four fingers down on the string, or do you just put the one finger down?

Is there a right/wrong technique to use here?

one finger down.

except when bending then i'll put down more to support the bend. if i'm doing legato then just one finger as well. hammering and pulling between ring and pinky is usually best with both fingers down. but in general, default for me is that my fingers are hovering until needed.

one finger down for a single fretted note is probably the best way because it's just cleaner but the index is anchored somewhere as well.

a technique is generally considered "bad" if it prevents something from working or causes an extra unwanted issue..
Last edited by ad_works at Dec 3, 2015,
It depends for me. Probably just one finger for the majority of the time, but also it depends what else is going on. I might keep a chord and play notes on top of it. I often hold a barre with my index and play other notes always holding that barre, even if it is just solo notes. But I also often just plant one finger at a time in lots of other cases. I think that might be the most common choice.