I'm 17 year old musician and I feel like I have spoiled myself/been spoiled. I have been playing guitar for almost 12 years. I have 7 guitars, some I have built myself, but none of any large value. 3 pretty good amps, didn't pay anything over $400. Almost all of my stuff I bought while it was on sale (deal chaiser). I have also gotten some stuff for birthdays and Christmas, but I can't help but feel spoiled for having so much gear. My situation is a little different since my dad is also a musician and we have stuff that we kinda share. Did any of you or do you have this much stuff at this age?
I started playing around the same age you did, was professional at 11 (wedding receptions at the local legion hall) on a Hammond B3 and a Fender Rhodes 88. In those days that was about five grand worth of gear (much more now). By your age I was on tour with a pair of custom-built Leslies and a nine-piece band with a 48-passenger schoolbus, and we owned our own building (practice down in the boiler room, common area on the first floor, individual rooms on the second floor and the third floor was rented to day sleeping shift workers. Parents paid for the B3, I paid for the Rhodes and everything else.
I got most of my stuff used from my own money, a few things as gifts or from gift money. And deal chasing is universal. How you get your stuff is something most people don't make a big deal of. Compared to the people I play with I'm a bit more endowed with my own funds but no one's ever made a point of it since we've always melded regardless. It also has to do with how much you put towards it. In high school my friend had a car and no amp, I had a VK212, several high end pedals, my old guitar and several part upgrades, and no car. And quantity isn't really a measure of being spoiled. Currently I've a friend who has multiple project guitars while I have a charvel so-cal. Point being it's all about what you can do with what you've got.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jan 27, 2016,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Point being it's all about what you can do with what you've got.

Yup.

Collecting cheap gear is a worthwhile end in itself, I suppose, but as Maidenheadsteve points out, it's what you can do...
I didn't add that I play live quite frequently and thats how I pay for my gear, I play all the time and use all my stuff, but I feel like I have much more than I should
I think that if you play live or record, having a lot of stuff is important because you need versatility and you need to give people their money's worth. So don't feel bad.

Now if you have a wall of AC30's and you do not use but one, you should probably give one or two to me just to make your karma even.
i have always had a lot of gear. when i was 17, i had more guitars (cheaper though) i had 30 at one point. at that time, i only had two tube amps and a randall SS and a line6 duoverb, and a handfull of cheap pedals.

right now i am sitting on 23ish electrics and 5 vintage classicals, three quarters of them were over 1.2K USD, if not more. most are also MIA or MIJ (yes i am a country of origin snob). plus around 15 tube amps (one being a hybrid music man). i also have probably 30 pedals now, i don't think any of them are under $100 (if you were to buy new).

as far as why i have so much? because i can. i have the space, funds, and i like them, so why the fuck not?

i don't gig regularly ATM. i did regularly for a long time, and a ton of open mic's too. i like mixing it up a bit. its also handy for recording.

despellman and danny are two who definitely have a lot more than me.

well except:
(danny you need a new amp haha)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It sounds more to me that you appreciate what you have and are glad to have a dad passing things on. In my experience, people who are spoilt wouldn't realise how lucky they are like you do.

That said, if it makes you feel better, you can spoil me by sending me your gear!
Quote by Spaceace13
I didn't add that I play live quite frequently and thats how I pay for my gear, I play all the time and use all my stuff,

what you do with your own money is your own business , but it sounds like you spend it on what you need and with your own dime ..... sounds good to me
Quote by trashedlostfdup

despellman and danny are two who definitely have a lot more than me.

well except:
(danny you need a new amp haha)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
When I was 18 I got a bit of compensation money and immediately picked up a couple of guitars and some equipment. I'm just like you mate my Dad plays and we've often swapped gear to play with and he's handed me down some gear in the past. I've been fortunate too a lot of my family we're very encouraging and helped me out buying odds bits like strings etc

I'm a little conscious of how much gear is now I've got a family and I'm down now to 2 electric guitars and 3 acoustic guitars, one small practice amp and a Boss GT8 effects pedal. The main thing is to be grateful for what you have got mate, appreciate what people have done for you if they've bought things to help you out. They do it because it's something you love and they understand it.
Quote by Spaceace13
I'm 17 year old musician and I feel like I have spoiled myself/been spoiled. I have been playing guitar for almost 12 years. I have 7 guitars, some I have built myself, but none of any large value. 3 pretty good amps, didn't pay anything over $400. Almost all of my stuff I bought while it was on sale (deal chaiser). I have also gotten some stuff for birthdays and Christmas, but I can't help but feel spoiled for having so much gear. My situation is a little different since my dad is also a musician and we have stuff that we kinda share. Did any of you or do you have this much stuff at this age?

I wouldn't say you're spoiled, but you may be a hoarder !

This is the advice I give everyone: buy one great guitar, one great amp and a few great pedals - that is how you get a great tone. Also, owning 7 guitars is not of much use if you only play one or two.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with collecting them if that's really your thing.
Yeah I had a shit ton of stuff when I was younger. I've also went through a shit ton. I figured it up, for four years I was getting a new amp an average of once every two months. That meant trading and selling as I wasn't going to be buying all that out of pocket, but still, I have owned a LOT of stuff.

I've settled now for two electrics, a couple amps I like, and a Kemper which I'm trying to sell because I just don't really want it all that bad. I think it's good to go through a lot of stuff early on. It helps you figure out what you like, what doesn't work, and what you really want to accomplish with your gear.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Nah, man. You're fine. That doesn't mean that other people won't try to call you spoiled. I had people calling me spoiled when I was a teenager - something about being born with a silver spoon in my mouth because I had a Sovtek and a Fender Stratocaster. Yeah, really. It wasn't like I was rocking a Marshall/Les Paul rig at 17. But, that's the way people are at that age. There will always be someone looking to criticize what you have or don't have.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Your dad is a musician so you have lots of guitar stuff...I am a technology consultant so my kids have all the latest gadgets.

This is how the world works. You aren't spoiled.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
Last edited by ppiluk at Dec 3, 2015,
Quote by dementiacaptain
I think it's good to go through a lot of stuff early on. It helps you figure out what you like, what doesn't work, and what you really want to accomplish with your gear.

It also makes you realize at a later date what you loved and didn't even know!

Right now I'm pining for my Universe I sold 5 years ago. Went from having around 4 Floyd Rose fitted guitars to having none...and now I'm starting to wish I'd never let the last one go (the Universe)
You may be spoiled, there's no way of knowing from what you've posted, which is merely a humble-brag thread if we're being honest here.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Spaceace13
I didn't add that I play live quite frequently and thats how I pay for my gear, I play all the time and use all my stuff, but I feel like I have much more than I should

Then get rid of some if that'll make you feel better.

You *can* get to a point with this stuff where it just becomes an encumbrance, and accumulation becomes hoarding, and you suddenly find yourself mostly a caretaker. I've actually got that relationship with a few guitars (and at least one car) that have become worth silly money since I bought them cheap. Using them or exposing them to damage affects their value, but it also affects their potential for enjoyment. I'm getting to a point where I'd almost rather pass them on to another caretaker, so I can use that money for something else.
Then again, $1M Stradivari violins are loaned out to orchestras for play, and Scott Chinery let some players use some of his most valuable pieces. Some even got recorded...

http://www.amazon.com/Masterpiece-Guitars-Howe/dp/B000641YW8
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 3, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Then again, $1M Stradivari violins are loaned out to orchestras for play, and Scott Chinery let some players use some of his most valuable pieces. Some even got recorded...

http://www.amazon.com/Masterpiece-Guitars-Howe/dp/B000641YW8

Maybe I could become a loaning museum!

"Yes sir, both guards will be accompanying the instrument at all times, and as you'll notice on page 3 paragraph 8 of our standardized contract, even a minor scratch will result in your being hung and, while you're still conscious, your internal organs will be ripped out and boiled before you and then we will begin quartering your body with each quarter to be shipped (via Jeff Bezos' new drones) to a computer-selected distance exactly equidistant from each other part on the planet. Your head will join our lovely display in our "HeadRoom? We Got Head Room!" wing as a cautionary tale for other renters. Just sign here. You can use any one of those knives to draw blood for the signature. Just drop it in the 'to be autoclaved' basket when you're done."
There's a reason insurance exists. Sure, it doesn't replace the irreplaceable, but...

Quote by dspellman
Maybe I could become a loaning museum!

"Yes sir, both guards will be accompanying the instrument at all times, and as you'll notice on page 3 paragraph 8 of our standardized contract, even a minor scratch will result in your being hung and, while you're still conscious, your internal organs will be ripped out and boiled before you and then we will begin quartering your body with each quarter to be shipped (via Jeff Bezos' new drones) to a computer-selected distance exactly equidistant from each other part on the planet. Your head will join our lovely display in our "HeadRoom? We Got Head Room!" wing as a cautionary tale for other renters. Just sign here. You can use any one of those knives to draw blood for the signature. Just drop it in the 'to be autoclaved' basket when you're done."

Now that's a contract! The bolded was absolutely masterful!!
Charles Darwin
I only usually think spoiled if I see a youtuber sitting in front of stacks of expensive cabs and heads that they didn't buy. And if they did buy them... how do they buy food?
Quote by Fumble fingers
what the heck is food when you have bad GAS ??...lol

Tone before food, hot licks are my sustenance.
honestly now that i think about it, spoiled is more of an attitude than a group of possessions.

for example, there is the guy on youtube. ericsicard or something. he posts videos all the time and he is very braggy and uppity about things. i can't stand him. he claims that everything he has is the best, and that he has a custom SG (which in one video he said it was a faded model that he had painted). anyways, that is spoiled. i don't think the OP is at all. nor i really.

sorry to get off topic.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
honestly now that i think about it, spoiled is more of an attitude than a group of possessions.

sorry to get off topic.

Absolutely, was my point as well. You're not off topic at all.
Charles Darwin
No such thing when it comes to guitars imo. If you like it you buy it.
If you have the money to get it even better.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I'm worried for you! Only 17 and so much stuff. My worry is that you are afflicted severely with GAS and that by the time you get to ,say, 30 , you are gonna struggle to get into your house .. I was fortunate, I got GAS at the age of 51 so I reckon I can manage the affliction ...just