Does anyone have experience with putting a lefty neck on a right handed guitar? Specifically a tele with the old three piece bridge. Would there be an issue? Also any difference in tone or dynamic? (Apart from higher tension on the bottom strings)
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
I'm no guitar builder but guys with reverse headstocks are a great point to make right here.

Guitarists have done just fine for decades having reverse headstocks, jacksons , esp like kirk hammet uses to ibanez and so forth. I've owned at least 3-4 guitars with reverse headstocks and I had no issues, sure they came factory like it but other than the nut being cut for the high E portion being cut for say a 9 or 10 , the low E being cut for a say 42 or 46 there shouldn't be any big difference. The only thing I found annoying about reverse headstocks was tuning them was a little funny having to reach around.

dynamics and tone is up for debate, I just know it would work with a bit of modifications to an existing lefty (lets say) neck). Assuming the neck is the same everything down to fret wire size , String material , pickup height/type and plectrum material used are my three concerns about tone.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 2, 2015,
I expect you would feel a different response to bending the strings when there is less length beyond the nut (just as you detect a difference with trapeze tailpieces at the bridge). With that notion, shortening the high E length beyond the nut should have a different response to bending that string than on a standard Strat/Tele. I do not see this as a major issue either way.
Quote by jwmcdaniel97
Does anyone have experience with putting a lefty neck on a right handed guitar? Specifically a tele with the old three piece bridge. Would there be an issue? Also any difference in tone or dynamic? (Apart from higher tension on the bottom strings)

I haven't felt the need to actually DO this, but I've certainly seen it done (though it was just to reverse the headstock, not to actually attempt to play lefty). The bridge pickup on a Tele is angled, to make the treble strings brighter. If you're switching those strings to the bottom strings, you'll probably hear a difference in tone.